2014 Numbers

dweese

For those not on the OFSC email list, this came down this morning..

Participation Up: Over 100,000 sleds registered for a 2014 Snowmobile Trail Permit of one type or another. This is the highest number of permitted sleds since 2002.
Permit Sales Up: Full season permit sales are up 15% over last season. This is the most full season permits sold since the 2008/09 season, including more than 10,000 new full season permit buyers for 2014.

Nice to see things in an upward swing this year.. Sure the weather was great, but back up to last fall, this is not the winter that was being predicted, when most people were thinking about buying a permit, as email also says..

A majority of permits were purchased on or before December 1, 2013.

I think the early bird permit really helped, hopefully it was cost effective enough so it stays around for next year..  

Permit Sales Up: Full season permit sales are up 15% over last season. This is the most full season permits sold since the 2008/09 season, including more than 10,000 new full season permit buyers for 2014.

Why no REAL numbers for this stat? Why can't or won't they tell us how many season permits were sold?

Many Clubs and Districts are still finalizing their Trail Permit numbers.

The final total will be provided at the AGM.

Given the high number of sales for the November 1st $180 price and given that the window for advertising and purchasing was rather short, barely 3 weeks, the OFSC research on the magic $180 price point certainly seems to be valid. We will sell many more next year and more revenue will be lost.

It remains to be seen as to whether this revenue is sufficient to operate a record season of grooming by a very high percentage of OFSC clubs as all funds have not yet flowed down to them.

There is going to be a boatload of expensive repairs to tracks, our Club just authorized $15,000 today for a new set. Carbide ice picks need to be replaced and the list goes on. Our fuel bill was $25,000 which is paid 100% by our District.

You can bet many clubs will be draining their bank accounts.

As WildBill has correctly stated, 5 or 6 new Groomers a year cannot sustain the need over the entire OFSC. This is a huge iceberg that we are going to hit very soon.

Many Clubs and Districts are still finalizing their Trail Permit numbers.

Given the high number of sales for the November 1st $180 price and given that the window for advertising and purchasing was rather short, barely 3 weeks, the OFSC research on the magic $180 price point certainly seems to be valid. We will sell many more next year and more revenue will be lost.

It remains to be seen as to whether this revenue is sufficient to operate a record season of grooming by a very high percentage of OFSC clubs as all funds have not yet flowed down to them.

There is going to be a boatload of expensive repairs to tracks, our Club just authorized $15,000 today for a new set. Carbide ice picks need to be replaced and the list goes on. Our fuel bill was $25,000 which is paid 100% by our District.

You can bet many clubs will be draining their bank accounts.

As WildBill has correctly stated, 5 or 6 new Groomers a year cannot sustain the need over the entire OFSC. This is a huge iceberg that we are going to hit very soon.

There are still clubs who are still in the black, also after almost double of their grooming hours. As I said earlier, some clubs can do much more with $10,000 then other clubs.

For the replacement groomer fund, the 10 year replacement will change to 20 years or 10,000+ hours. There will cone back a groomer refurbish fund to refurbish groomers older then 10 years. Yes, we can put $20 from every sold permit in the replacement fund and there will be more money but it will not solve the problem.

Thanks,

Greg

Hey Greg, just curious if you ever played baseball, or still do? Left field perhaps?

Oh look a turnip truck!

Sorry couldn't resist!

pulled in the first inning..torn hamstring. I guess that goes with the turnips and scalloped potatoes

That is the big question for sure.

It is somewhat difficult to know whether we are better off or not as there is still one more payment due in Mid-July to the clubs.

Our average on the first 30% amounted to about $63.50 per permit sold and I need to add in the 3 payments received from the District.

Our District is paying the full shot on each club's fuel this season instead of 75% last year so that works out to 70 cents per permit in revenue.

Our online sales were big this year, mostly at the $180 and this will grow next year with more awareness and hopefully a longer window to sell before November 1st.

Thank goodness the $180 attracted 15% more buyers and netted 7% more permit revenue.

The only downer is that almost every club spent more on grooming and repairs than ever collectively across province so the bank accounts will be be going for most clubs.

Under the old.Tanked! Most of D9 would have been done by end of Jan..But, not sure where the monies will come from once reserves from the "good old days" run dry. Bottom line is we will have to go lean, loss some trails, maybe not groom as much. All remains to be seen but as long as the fleet is getting older we have an issue. Not to mention bridge replacements!!

Crap..enough, going to Manitoulin!

Under the old.Tanked! Most of D9 would have been done by end of Jan..But, not sure where the monies will come from once reserves from the "good old days" run dry. Bottom line is we will have to go lean, loss some trails, maybe not groom as much. All remains to be seen but as long as the fleet is getting older we have an issue. Not to mention bridge replacements!!

Crap..enough, going to Manitoulin!

i've been riding in the sound before, and they have some pretty bad swamps that never seem to freeze. last yr there was a couple guys wrecked there sleds trying to get through one area.

OFSC report Permit Revenues up 7%.

Those of you that go to AGM, do you see a real financial statement or just a page full of stats & percentages?

A

Those of you that go to AGM, do you see a real financial statement or just a page full of stats & percentages?

We get with every OFSC payment the revised 2 pages of the ffc AGM document. This is by district.

Thanks

Greg

Here in lies the problem revrnd, we do not, we get a financial summary, we see a bunch of accounts that have many things lumped into them. We do not see the general ledger, nothing even close to it. This is the thing that disappoints me about our federation, this is one of a few parts that are not transparent. Could something be hiding? Absolutely, do I think something is hiding? I do wonder. I can find out almost anything I want, but there are things that I cannot get an answer to, and that does disappoint me.

Here in lies the problem revrnd, we do not, we get a financial summary, we see a bunch of accounts that have many things lumped into them. We do not see the general ledger, nothing even close to it. This is the thing that disappoints me about our federation, this is one of a few parts that are not transparent. Could something be hiding? Absolutely, do I think something is hiding? I do wonder. I can find out almost anything I want, but there are things that I cannot get an answer to, and that does disappoint me.

unaswered questions leaves folks uneasy 

Absolutely!!!

Wildman, that's what I figured. Even back in the 80s/90s when I was on the club executive, the treasurer would present a financial report which was typical of the business. 

It's scary when the delegates to AGM don't see much more info than the average permit buyer sees in the magazine insert. 

Archived