Ice out predictions 2014

WeBeSleddin

I was speaking to a friend who was out on cooks bay lake simcoe Saturday. They measured 23" of ice through an auger hole.

It looks like it might be a record setting ice out this year in most areas.

There is very little information on "ice out" in ontario. Algonquin has the most info posted:

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php

Would be interesting to know current ice conditions and snowpack depth around the province, ice out history if known, and predictions for ice out dates for this year.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

may 8th 2015 LOL

May 14th is my pick..

I say May 12th!!! 2014 BTW

Blake is TOO FUNNY

may 11th...11:23 am...mother's day

Lake of Bays is nasty where I am. Once one little spot goes in the middle where its 300 feet the wind takes the rest out in a few days. I predict chunks will be around until May 15th but the solid covering will be out around May 5th best case. Kinda sucks cause my season is over anyways so lets get the boats in the water

Never!

Ice age is-a-comin`

:hyper:  :hyper:  :nana:

Ice out history of Opeongo is an interesting chart.  The late spikes of '92, '96, and '04 were not consistant with Pickerel Lake.  Our ice out is usually within a week of April 30, sometimes earlier.  Latest I recall was '74.  There was still one ice mass with water around the perimeter 1 week before May 24.  It would not suprise me if we experience the same this year.

For those that do the Traditional May 24 dip. You might want to reconside!!!

For those that do the Traditional May 24 dip. You might want to reconside!!!

I'm usually slalom skiing by May 24! Not this year! 

I'll pick May 13 on Simcoe

Great video!

I was in Wasaga on Saturday and there was ice in the bay as far out as I could see.

last year ice came out 3 to 5 days before the may long weekend,,,, this year will likly be after 1 week later.

We're fishing in Woods Bay (Georgian Bay) and running up to Killarney starting the day after Mother's Day, so ice better be out.

My prediction for Lake Simcoe - May 10th.

We're fishing in Woods Bay (Georgian Bay) and running up to Killarney starting the day after Mother's Day, so ice better be out.

My prediction for Lake Simcoe - May 10th.

you want your boat?

you want your boat?

You may have to do a scoot conversion on it for canuck first if he wants it that early

It will certainly be the shortest time between sledding and boating, but it should be fine. 

Not swimming, that's for sure.

It will certainly be the shortest time between sledding and boating, but it should be fine.

Not swimming, that's for sure.

Let me know if you need help moving fugly.....

The only ice we'll see is in our glasses, while at anchor. We've been heading out every year for 15 years. Weather's all over the place out on the bay at the best of times. Usually in a tin boat. 

Plan is to head up to Killarney then south to Honey Harbour, Yukon.

I'll call you re: south end of the trip. 

Archived