You have to be crazy to buy used sled in Canada....

aar0n

The later versions of the 600 carb have a lean midrange! You need change jets by one size to eliminate it. The monkey blew up his 500 ss this way. Not sure what year it was maybe an 06?

it was not the jet it was the needle move by one clip position 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is tricky for a first time buyer. Make sure it has no liens either, since that will get flagged at boarder and you will be responsible for the lien payment inorder to get it across. Could turn into a 10k sled.

No. Importing is easy as long as you have the proper paperwork.. I've brought back 5 sleds now. I was looking to do it again if the Canuck buck wasn't in the dumper.

Once its in Canada, no one is chasing it for a lien and there is nothing to stop you from registering it here.

Most States don't allow liens on sleds anyways since they are not concidered vehicles there as they are here.

If you want to make sure it is a clean vehicle (not stolen and free of liens) get it cleared at US Customs. This requires a fax or email to the US Customs office where you will be crossing 72 hours in advance. Note that they have varying hours. Take your paperwork into the office. They stamp it and you are free to export. The RIV site will tell you that this is required but its not for sleds.

I brought my nytro over in 2011. Super easy cost me a total of 430 bucks between riv payment and tax at service ontario. The safety is free did it at Canadian tire took about 5 mins. The biggest problem is getting the recall letter now. From what I hear not as easy as before. I think skidoo has put a stop to it all together. When I was done I saved around 3500 bucks buying it there. Mind u I got a pretty good deal on the sled too.

Easy to get around Skidoo's BS. Just make it a condition of the sale for the current owner go to thier local dealer and get a recall letter. The dealer can print it out in seconds and its free. This is what I did for my last Doo.

One of the sled dealers that I know of got stuck with several sleds with no ownership. Somehow there is a difference between a registration and a title in the states. 

This is true. It depends on the State. As mentioned above, NY State only has a registration. That and a bill of sale is all you need to get it registered in Canada. Same for Michigan.

I bought my last Doo from a Pennsylvania resident. They have to "Title" sleds there. The owner hadn't done it as he only rode in NY and had it registered there. Only a NY resident can sell a NY registered sled so he had to go get a title before he could sell to me.

You'll have to factor in your fuel costs, RIV fees, dollar exchange, etc.

When the Canadian dollar was at par or better, it was a good deal. Now, not so much unless the price difference is substantial.

For what you are looking at Aaron, I'd shop hard and throw lowballs at sellers until you get what you want for what you are prepared to spend. When you see a deal, move fast.

it was not the jet it was the needle move by one clip position

Yeah thats what i thought

the 2008 was lean(ish) it was cleaned up in 09.

The '07's were too but didn't have near the problems as the 08's.

My thoughts on this are that I would and will always buy in Ontario to support my local dealer/dealers.. Figure that if I need help with something they will be more willing to help me out and get me riding sooner than later. Just my two cents... 

Nunz

They make their $$$ on parts and accessories

My buddy buys his sleds from the states all the time, the dealers here have no issue with service them and giving him recalls as he buys his accessories and parts off of them and that is where they make the $$$$

They make their $$$ on parts and accessories

My buddy buys his sleds from the states all the time, the dealers here have no issue with service them and giving him recalls as he buys his accessories and parts off of them and that is where they make the $$$$

ya accessories are the biggest rip off. doo has that area nailed down with their linq system. 700 bucks for a seat, 300 for a bag...what a joke

Does anybody know the tax,paperwork, for a dual citizen? Can-US, re import sled,from US to Can?

I've bought 2 sleds stateside at Bob Weaver's Yamaha.  http://www.weaverfever.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventory#page=xPreOwnedInventory&vt=snowmobile&d=on

First one was an 06 Apex RTX that he had.  By the time I got it home and made it "Canadian", I was still over $1300 ahead.  Weaver's did all the paperwork, and it was slick!

Second time, I bought an '08 Apex LTX GT 40th in Wisconsin off of a dealer via the internet, and had it shipped to Weaver's. 

They did all the paperwork again and I was still almost $1000 ahead of the game.

Best part was seeing Bob's personal collection of sleds.  Well worth it!!

Excellent service, excellent people, and  only 15mins from the Queenston/Lewiston Bridge.

I've bought 2 sleds stateside at Bob Weaver's Yamaha.  http://www.weaverfever.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventory#page=xPreOwnedInventory&vt=snowmobile&d=on

First one was an 06 Apex RTX that he had.  By the time I got it home and made it "Canadian", I was still over $1300 ahead.  Weaver's did all the paperwork, and it was slick!

Second time, I bought an '08 Apex LTX GT 40th in Wisconsin off of a dealer via the internet, and had it shipped to Weaver's. 

They did all the paperwork again and I was still almost $1000 ahead of the game.

Best part was seeing Bob's personal collection of sleds.  Well worth it!!

Excellent service, excellent people, and  only 15mins from the Queenston/Lewiston Bridge.

I wouldn't be buying new I would be buying used. And buying used from a dealer defeats the purpose of saving money in the US 

I bought both sleds used.  No use buying new there...it'll void warranty.

I bought my '06 in '08 and my '08 in '10.

I even blew the chain tensioner on my '06 and Weaver's paid half the cost of the repair at my local Yamaha dealer!

Good folk!

I bought both sleds used.  No use buying new there...it'll void warranty.

I bought my '06 in '08 and my '08 in '10.

I even blew the chain tensioner on my '06 and Weaver's paid half the cost of the repair at my local Yamaha dealer!

Good folk!

AH very true! That's great to hear. They don't have too good of a used selection ATM 

End of season.  Check back with them in the Fall.

Also, call them and talk to them.  They'll keep their eyes open.

End of season.  Check back with them in the Fall.

Also, call them and talk to them.  They'll keep their eyes open.

yes there most likely be some great sledsd in the fall when axys hits the floor. I have narrowed it down to a 2010 rush

I wouldn't be buying new I would be buying used. And buying used from a dealer defeats the purpose of saving money in the US 

Still cheaper depending on the status of the dollar. You can find some smoking deals at Weavers, Pioneer Motorsports, or Heblers....all great people to deal with. If you do your research you can save a bit more if you buy private. Look for people to be selling now. They haven't had any snow for the last two years, so anything two or three years old might be low miles. I found an 09 600 exec renegade in Rochester with 900 miles on it for $5800. Follow all the rules for importing like others have stated and your good to go!

Think used is crazy new xrs made me $17730 poorer

I will just look for deals in Ontario. Ill call Northgate in the fall when they have more trade-ins. My dad and brother both got their new sleds their and they seemed like a good dealer

Think used is crazy new xrs made me $17730 poorer

That's one of the nicest looking sleds on the market but not to be rude that is CRAZY expensive...

I still have my sister's '04 Pro-X 600 in my way every day  ;-)

She's down to $3500 or it sits 'till next season.

I still have my sister's '04 Pro-X 600 in my way every day   ;-)

Ian that's a killer sled but I would like a rider forward machine. 

I still have my sister's '04 Pro-X 600 in my way every day   ;-)

Sell it to Long....he keeps crashing his!

Aaron I thought you said you liked the Edge sleds? That is what this one is.

Kirby, I tried but he fixed his old one. This one is to nice for him anyway.  ;-)  BTW my sister made a special trophy for him after his incident. Still have to present it to him. His new nickname is now BarkBuster !

Aaron I thought you said you liked the Edge sleds? That is what this one is.

Kirby, I tried but he fixed his old one. This one is to nice for him anyway.   ;-)  BTW my sister made a special trophy for him after his incident. Still have to present it to him. His new nickname is now BarkBuster !

I know it's an edge and after riding my dad's pro-ride I cant stand the damn edge. 

I brought 2 sleds back last fall.  Made the trip worthwhile.  Selection of used sleds was better and the price was lower.

Got the recall clearance letter from a New York dealer before I came home.  Took 5 minutes and I was on my way.  The only real hassle was the US Border Patrol had me sit and wait for an hour because they didn't believe I had less than $10,000 cash (no limit on what you can carry, just have to declare over $10,000).

I also brought an ATV back from Michigan about 6 or 7 years ago.  Also a simple process.  Just do your homework and don't try to play any games with the rules.

Archived