Lake Muskoka rosseau joe conditions

WeBeSleddin

We just got back from the big three lakes running this afternoon. Lk. Jo was great, rosseau was a little slushy and Muskoka was quite wet also. Petro Can at the end of the Seguin to Boston Pizza in Gravenhurst in 1 hour and 10 minutes. Averaging 80km/h across the lakes! Great ride. Did use a bit of fuel though, 28litres round trip 170kms.

We just got back from the big three lakes running this afternoon. Lk. Jo was great, rosseau was a little slushy and Muskoka was quite wet also. Petro Can at the end of the Seguin to Boston Pizza in Gravenhurst in 1 hour and 10 minutes. Averaging 80km/h across the lakes! Great ride. Did use a bit of fuel though, 28litres round trip 170kms.

I had a similar experience... :)...except I used 30L. Must be all the extra power...

IMG_20140329_133549_zpsa3358207.jpg

IMG_20140329_150831_zps3e5d7703.jpg

We saw plenty of 1/2 ton pick ups driving across some of the deepest sections of Joe yesterday including a utility cube van plowing through the ~4" of slush that accumulated over the day. Some people are just crazy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi Guys

I am new to the Muskoka area and would love to know the best route to go lake hoping on the big three. Many times, I will need to go from Bracebridge to Foots Bay on Lake Joe, but by trail, it takes about 2 hours. Would like to cut this time in half at least. Thanks.

MMike.  I can tell you there are many back trails that will let you pass through many areas on the big three.  Local trails that are no longer, or may never have been, OFSC trails.  One of the locals on the lake will probably take you for a tour this season and show you around

First of all, be careful. Conditions are sometimes good but they change. Last winter ice conditions were better than normal.

I believe there might have been some discussion about the three lakes on this site by rockerdan and others including me.

Obviously it is best to connect with some local sledders with knowledge of the specific routes.

Bracebridge to Foots Bay in under an hour is achievable for the few weeks when the ice is good.

Hi Guys

I am new to the Muskoka area and would love to know the best route to go lake hoping on the big three. Many times, I will need to go from Bracebridge to Foots Bay on Lake Joe, but by trail, it takes about 2 hours. Would like to cut this time in half at least. Thanks.

I always get on using trail 32 which is cutoff right off the D. I mostly run from there down to the bay and into Boston pizza.

I always get on using trail 32 which is cutoff right off the D. I mostly run from there down to the bay and into Boston pizza.

I usually then head farther north on the lake and come back using trail 36. If you look at lake musoka you can see these cutoff's on the right side of the lake. Never had an issue heading up right side of lake. Was always told the left side is more dangerous because of currents.

Is there a way to get from Lake Muskoka to Lake Rosseau through Brandy Lake? I see the lakes are very close to each other and just wondering if there is a portage there.

Yes there are two or three routes that people use. Not really sure if official permission has ever been provided by land owners. The trails are easy to see once the sleds start using the lakes.

Archived