Another side of snowmobiling

ravinerat

Queen Elizabeth II Wildlands Provincial Park is a non operating PP in Southern Ontario. It is the 2nd largest South of Algonquin Park. The Park is 33,505 hectares and was created in 2002. The early years the area was logged and then a forest fire the area suffered huge erosion filling in lakes with sediment turning them into Marshes. The area is filled with lakes, marshes, creeks high cliffs and barren rock. The park soon became know as The Burnt Lands.

This is an area I explored last March and had wanted to plan a trip in to do more exploring through the area. There is no organized snowmobiling in the area and it is a true wilderness experience.

Four of us headed in on 2 Snowmobiles to do some camping and explore the area. The temps the week before were in the above freezing but susposed  to drop back down to

-9C through the day and -15 C and night.

QEIIPP016_zps938ba6aa.jpg

My research showed that there were three lakes in a row with one having Rainbow Trout, one Lakers and Splake. We would try to camp on one of these lakes. Most of the lakes have high rock edges and lots had cliffs. We found what looked to be a great spot but soon found it was very windy.

DSCF0701_zps62fda6de.jpg

We got the tents set up and started to collect firewood for the long night ahead.

DSCF0703_zpsc938aa1e.jpg

DSCF0721_zpse0070b3b.jpg

DSCF0705_zps52409ff9.jpg

We got enough wood split for the evening and started to boil water and get some dinner on the go.

DSCF0758_zps16b17cad.jpg

QEIIPP018_zps7dbe7434.jpg

DSCF0709_zps5565e4a1.jpg

The next day we got up at the crack of 0800 hr. Took a bit to get breakfast going since I do not do anything until I have my two cups of coffee. We went through most of our wood so the job of the day was collecting wood. 

DSCF0740_zpsec7c88ac.jpg

We found a large Oak tree down and figured we would harvest some wood from it. Now the snow is deep once off the trail but hey I have a Tundra. Pulling the toboggan and a second person on the Tundra it sunk fast.

QEIIPP020_zpsd643c5a0.jpg

There was no way we could lift it so we had to dig down just to see what was going on . The ski had caught a buried branch pulling the Tundra to the right and the track landed on a buried Log and spun. We were stuck.

QEIIPP022_zps0b32cc24.jpg

I decided we need to dig out the side so we could push it over on it’s side and pack snow down under the track.

QEIIPP024_zps04f7b98d.jpg

Once the snow was piled under the track the Tundra walked out.

We headed back to camp for a coffee and some lunch.

DSCF0728_zpsb2a18d39.jpg

It was a quiet afternoon for us. The wind was really high and standing on a lake being blown around didn’t sound as good as sitting in a warm tent having a cold beer.

DSCF0728_zpsb2a18d39.jpg

That evening we sat around and had a great dinner.

DSCF0717_zps5e59363d.jpg

The next morning we got up and had some breakfast and planned the day.

DSCF0735_zpsdc166d66.jpg

DSCF0723_zps27bd345d.jpg

Well it looks like it is another wood day. It has been so windy we thought the tents were going to blow down but they held fast with no additional anchoring.

DSCF0730_zpsd5f62c30.jpg

WE headed off to locate a new source of wood. I travelled across several beaver ponds and  could see some great wood for fire.

We all know Tundras can’t get stuck. WE it happened again. I had a fully loaded toboggan with wood and started off, tried to turn a bit up hill and it sunk.

DSCF0745_zps6a89a386.jpg

Well there was no way I could lift it so I took some logs we had cut and made a lever. WE dug down to the track as I didn’t want to pry off the tunnel.

DSCF0745_zps6a89a386.jpg

DSCF0752_zpsc13ca065.jpg

DSCF0753_zps70589d82.jpg

DSCF0751_zps44e0929c.jpg

Well it was a bit of a chore to get it out. The first time it spit the wood out. We got my buddy to lift the sled with the leaver and I pulled the rear end over. I was then able to walk it out fairly easy.

DSCF0747_zps6fb74216.jpg

I made it back to base with a good load of wood.

DSCF0755_zps548a22e6.jpg

We were all exausted so we hung around camp then decided to go for a rip on the sleds and explore.

DSCF0715_zps63fef56b.jpg

DSCF0714_zpsf9f59dc2.jpg

Now this was the most impressive find on our trip. A brand new out house in the middle of no where. It was  complete with water proofed toilet paper. Of course I had to test it out.

. DSCF0713_zps851b8b51.jpg

That night we hung around the tents drinking wine and talking. We decided we have been over eating and just had snacks for dinner instead of cooking another big dinner.

DSCF0719_zps9dbd921e.jpg

DSCF0759_zps963325d5.jpg

DSCF0744_zps149678e6.jpg

So the next morning we broke camp and headed home. Sure takes a long time to pack the toboggans, make two trips each and load the vehicles.

It was a great trip and had lots of positive experiences. I talked to a trapper I ran into who told me there didn”t seem to be any trout in the lakes I was asking about. I kind of figured since the locals were only fishing the first two lakes coming in to the park. We next year we will have a better idea of the area.

RR

Great story RR,  Interesting to read the history of that area.

Looks like fun but I'm still wrestling with 'water proofed toilet paper'.

Don, thank you for sharing the story of that adventure.

Man, Thats Awesome! I would love to do that!

We Might try and run the Power line to Minden this weekend.

Great report.

How far off the beaten path is it? How many kilometres from where you stage to where you camp?

Looks like quite the adventure.

I hear you can run the lakes we were on and hook up with the power line. I'm not sure how to do it. A trapper we met mentioned it. Be nice to go for a run to Tim's. 

RR

Great report.

How far off the beaten path is it? How many kilometres from where you stage to where you camp?

Looks like quite the adventure.

Different all the time. This trip we were maybe 10 km or so from the vehicles. Still took us 45 min to get back to the cars where we stored some gas.

RR

Thanks ravine rat for the very cool trip report. Haven't been in the qe2 park yet in the winter, except for the little portion of the d/b trail that runs through it.

Have done a bunch of research on qe2 over the years, and Have explored the western side of the park in the summer, very marshy, boggy and wet, with some nice lakes, rivers and ridges with great views.

According the the snowcrest historian, the ever knowing STG, there used to be ofsc trails that ran through the park in a couple of directions, apparently old signs can still be found.

The haliburton club fortunately doesn't like updating their map, so these trails are all visible on the link below.

Blake, if you do that run this weekend, please post about it.

According to the qe2 web site, snowmobiling is a legal activity, as opposed to Algonquin where it is prohibited I believe.

http://www.hcsa.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/HCSA-Map-2014.pdf

Enjoy!

The trails in there were abandoned years ago and I understand it was over a bridge issue. Yes snowmobiling is permitted in the boundaries of the park ans it is a vast area. I have hiked in from the west side in the fall and it is a wet land for sure. Old signs from snowmobile clubs of the past still hang on trees but they are far and few between. It is a pretty cool area to explore. There are several Provincial Parks that trails go through. Awenda, Bigwind are two that come to mind.

Thanks for the map. I'm going to try and line some of it up with my GPS.

RR

That's cool Bill. That would even be Pre OTBA and Trail Alliance days. I was on Anson Mts years ago on an Atv. Before park days. The trails in the park are pretty neat to run. Great shape for not being groomed.

RR

Where are you starting?

Nice! I spend a few weekends a year on the property north of there, Longford Reserve. Its private, and patrolled, so just watch when you're wandering around, you can't miss the gates and signs.  We ventured into QEII Park a couple weeks ago while out exploring.

great adventure ...great pics ...

thanks for sharing ..

MC do you own property in Langford? Thought it was owned by Americans? I've been through some of it years ago. Got there own run ways and everything there. That was before I knew it was private. The Trapper said he owned some of it.

RR

That's cool Bill. That would even be Pre OTBA and Trail Alliance days. I was on Anson Mts years ago on an Atv. Before park days. The trails in the park are pretty neat to run. Great shape for not being groomed.

RR

it was maintained till about 89

Hey Ravinerat,

Where did you get those mountable gas cans from and how much were they?

They are RotoPax. The greatest way to carry gas. You can get different mounts depending where you want to mount them.

http://rotopax.com

They aren't cheap but well worth it. I can transfer them over to my Dual Sport for longer trips come summer.

Kolpin makes a cheaper one but the one I saw seemed cheap.

RR

awesome,, try and get sledjunk back in there,,,,,

Where are you starting?

Probably Summerland Store.

Thanks ravine rat for the very cool trip report. Haven't been in the qe2 park yet in the winter, except for the little portion of the d/b trail that runs through it.

Have done a bunch of research on qe2 over the years, and Have explored the western side of the park in the summer, very marshy, boggy and wet, with some nice lakes, rivers and ridges with great views.

According the the snowcrest historian, the ever knowing STG, there used to be ofsc trails that ran through the park in a couple of directions, apparently old signs can still be found.

The haliburton club fortunately doesn't like updating their map, so these trails are all visible on the link below.

Blake, if you do that run this weekend, please post about it.

According to the qe2 web site, snowmobiling is a legal activity, as opposed to Algonquin where it is prohibited I believe.

http://www.hcsa.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/HCSA-Map-2014.pdf

Enjoy!

Will do

Archived