Young Sledders

fish

I was very impressed this year when our 14 year old daughter came home from school after the trails opened and informed me that she was going to attend a meeting at school for students that wanted to ride their sleds to school.  She came home after the meeting with a permission slip that we filled out with sled licence info, colour, operators licence number etc.  She informed me that there was a member of the Nith Valley club, a police officer and a member of the teaching staff present during the meeting.  They had rules of where to park, no riding around the school property etc. 

The smile that she had on the mornings that I was off during the week and we rode to school would make the grinch melt.  It looked awsome to see several sleds lined up at the back of the school on those mornings.  We even had several teachers come and ask questions about sledding.  What wonderful memories these will be !!!!!!!!!   Our daughter is one of the many students that Dianah, from St Clements has taught over the past several years. 

Thanks again to everyone that put in all the hard work to allow our family to have these memories and experiences!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good for you!  Enjoy these years.

Cool, great to see a club member and a police officer going out of their way to encourage todays' youth to enjoy snowmobiling .... Great for all of you !!!

So happy you shared this story Bill! Thank you! I love teaching the kids! When they come by the clubhouse while on a sledding ride, beaming with their new driver's license, it just gives volunteering a "priceless" experience!

I was so impressed that your daughter's school would hold an event for them to ride their sleds to school. Community involvement for young kids supporting exercise and winter sports promotes a healthy environment. kudos to your school!

Our club has been going to the local high school for a lot of years giving the kids the info they need to ride safely and responsibly when bringing their sleds to school. The high school is good with it as long as they follow a few basic rules. The kids also have to have parental permission and give their sled make, model, color and suit/helmet color to the school officials so they can be identified if they are doing something stupid. The trail crosses the road by the school. One kid got busted by the cops for about 140/160 kph coming across the field by the school a couple of years ago. Dad wasn't happy when he had to bring the trailer to pick up the sled. Junior likely didn't much use out of the sled for the rest of the season let alone take it to school. lol

• 6 months later...

Driving on trails

(3)  No person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle upon a trail unless,

(a) the person has obtained the full age of twelve years; and

(B) the person holds a driver’s licence, a motorized snow vehicle operator’s licence or is a resident of any other province, country or state and holds a licence issued by such province, country or state which authorizes the person to drive a motorized snow vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 9 (3).

There are no other restrictions regarding riding a snowmobile on an OFSC trail outside the above.

But they can't legally cross a road until 16.

There are places where the OFSC trails cross roads, run on roads, or run along the sides of roads on the road allowance. My understanding is that the sled operator must be 16 or older and requires either a regular driving licence or a snowmobile licence in these places, though I am not sure how much effort is devoted to enforcement.....

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section7.2.1.1.shtml

Archived