Six Star Superb March 18, 2014

Today I had three hours of excellent riding on the Six Star Snow Riders trail system.

There was a nice unloading spot in Mactier, right beside the trail.

post-22473-0-95556100-1395182476_thumb.jpg

I threaded my way over to Top C and then up to 12 near the Parry Sound Municipal Airport.

post-22473-0-02045700-1395182245_thumb.jpg

Condtions were 9 out of 10.

post-22473-0-24446100-1395182749_thumb.jpg

I wound my way down 12 to Hamer Bay, then took the lake to Gordon Bay Marine to top up with gas. (They only have 87 octane, but I filled up earlier with 94, so the result was good.) The Marina staff provided detailed directions for the non-sanctioned portage trail back up to C.

Conditions were excellent on 4, 9, 10, C, 22, and C102D.
post-22473-0-07702500-1395182916_thumb.jpg

There is still plenty of snow.

post-22473-0-50588300-1395183106_thumb.jpg

I loaded the sled back on the truck and drove to the Bala Falls Pub for a great bowl of Prime Rib Soup.

post-22473-0-31526800-1395183172_thumb.jpg

Inside the pub were three guys who had sledded over from Midland. One of the fellows was 82 years old, so that was pretty impressive. They said they'd had trouble getting accurate information about finding gas, and in planning trips such as the RAP tour, so I told them about ontarioconditions.com and handed them each an OC sticker.

These guys are smart - -  they parked on the edge of Bala, just before the bare pavement, and walked to the pub.

post-22473-0-05929000-1395183229_thumb.jpg

Red dot is start point in Mactier. Blue is gas at Gordon Bay Marine. Black dots show route.

post-22473-0-49550300-1395182183_thumb.jpg

I don't know how long it will last, but if I didn't know better I'd say the area is enjoying mid-February conditions.

Thank you, Wildbill.

You know how many sleds I saw in my little fifty mile run today? One - - and that was out on Lake Joe.

Hard to believe how quiet thnigs are, even though the trails are so awesome.

Thank you, Wildbill.

You know how many sleds I saw in my little fifty mile run today? One - - and that was out on Lake Joe.

Hard to believe how quiet thnigs are, even though the trails are so awesome.

Rub it in Blake... this is mid week... not all of us are quite as lucky as you. Work was calling. Glad you are having a great time. The snow gods smiled upon us this year. Some may disagree based on how often they had to shovel/plow/blow but hey I liked it.

Thank you, Wildbill.

Hard to believe how quiet things are, even though the trails are so awesome.

Blake, I guess that is why we didn't see you in Hanover. LOL Glad you had a nice ride. We had a great one also. Isn't it amazing how well the trails are and they are still grooming in many areas in southern Ontario. Yippee for us!!! Same thing we found trails were either 9/10 or 10/10. What a great year we are having. We saw about 20 sleds in total today also. Gotta love it really.

Blake, glad you had a great ride!!

Mark, I'm sure you noticed I followed some of the tracks you laid down on Sunday !

It was my first time on some of those trails, but it won't be the last.

The trails look great, Blake.

Nice rig you have for solo sledding (truck, etc.).

Somehow I think you'll be the last guy sledding in central Ontario :-P

The trails look great, Blake.

Nice rig you have for solo sledding (truck, etc.).

Somehow I think you'll be the last guy sledding in central Ontario :-P

I agree with you on that one.  I am thinking it will be a toss up between Zoso, Blake and TNT.   I'll put my money on Blake though!!!

I'll be out with Blake for one last kick at the can before I park it..

I'll be out with Blake for one last kick at the can before I park it..

Good man!!  You have had a great season!!!  Hope you and Karen have many more.  Cheers!!

post-22473-0-98362700-1395284224_thumb.jpg

Has anybody ridden the the parry sound bypass recently .would like to do it this Saturday . Are there any roads to ride on it up to c104d

Thanks for any input

Anywhere to eat up there for lunch

Has anybody ridden the the parry sound bypass recently .would like to do it this Saturday . Are there any roads to ride on it up to c104d

Thanks for any input

Anywhere to eat up there for lunch

we just had 4 inches of snow and very little road rash 

we just had 4 inches of snow and very little road rash 

Wildbill, maybe you should play hooky for a couple of hours tomorrow morning and come with us to make sure the trails are good.......

• 3 weeks later...

This morning the Six Star trails were still coded mostly as green, with Trail 10 shown as yellow. I went for a two hour ride out of Mactier and was surprised to find that conditions hadn't deteriorated all that much since last Tuesday.

When I got home I checked the interactive trail guide, and saw that everything in the area is now coded red.

Here's a short clip of Trail 10 from this morning.

Archived