What's it going to take to get some trails around here?

sledderdan

He does more than just beg for money.

Remember the Hydro one dilemma district 4/8 were having?

He doesnt jusy lobby government.

That is why I ask the "dumb" questions. I don't know the answers. The more informed everyone is the better as it eliminates speculation. That is why I use words such as IF and DOES THIS. Rather than the Intrepid Snowmobiler which, just me, I see no value in they invested in better communication of some of their success stories and what they do on a regular basis we would have a whole lot of better informed people who better appreciate what they do for us. Communication to permit buyers can often take people from negative to positive real quick.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but back to the original topic, hamilton, caledonia, hagersville will never have a system

If they can sell 50 permits, have landowner permission for trails, do fundraising for a groomer, I can't see why they can't become a OFSC member.

If they can sell 50 permits, have landowner permission for trails, do fundraising for a groomer, I can't see why they can't become a OFSC member.

there is no reason they cannot be a club if they can put it together. They need to talk to likely d5 to review the process

good luck with that

getting trails in the hamilton area is exactly what the sport needs. There are trails everywhere in Ontario, except the GTA, which is where 2/3 of the population lives. Getting trails in hamilton is one step closer to the gta. 50permits is very doable IMO

getting trails in the hamilton area is exactly what the sport needs. There are trails everywhere in Ontario, except the GTA, which is where 2/3 of the population lives. Getting trails in hamilton is one step closer to the gta. 50permits is very doable IMO

You guys are all forgetting the most important factor. It's called SNOW. You can't make that.

You guys are all forgetting the most important factor. It's called SNOW. You can't make that.

They get also snow! So talk to district 5 and give it a try.

Thanks,

Greg

We have had just as great as a winter as D5 and south parts of D9 had this year. I haven't used my snowblower this much in a while.  If I can recall D5 and parts of D9 didn't fair to well last year with snow either.

I don't ride in my area much unless i'm taking my little guy out for a spin too spolied with ofsc trails, but it would be awesome too see some trails down this way and would more than likely Volunteer and I'm sure out of the 12 that we ride with in our group most likely would do the same.  Big problem down Niagara way is that most people don't understand the sport and will bitch and complain.

We have had just as great as a winter as D5 and south parts of D9 had this year. I haven't used my snowblower this much in a while. If I can recall D5 and parts of D9 didn't fair to well

last year with snow either. Actually last year north end of d5 up into d9 was great for 6 straight weeks. I put on 700km more last winter, then this year. Last year was better riding, since it was less stormy and warmer. This year we had allot of wind, plus cold temperatures.

Imy complain.

They get also snow! So talk to district 5 and give it a try.

Thanks,

Greg

i live in hamilton, we never get any snow that amounts to anything, except for this year

We have had just as great as a winter as D5 and south parts of D9 had this year. I haven't used my snowblower this much in a while.  If I can recall D5 and parts of D9 didn't fair to well last year with snow either.

I don't ride in my area much unless i'm taking my little guy out for a spin too spolied with ofsc trails, but it would be awesome too see some trails down this way and would more than likely Volunteer and I'm sure out of the 12 that we ride with in our group most likely would do the same.  Big problem down Niagara way is that most people don't understand the sport and will bitch and complain.

Yes you've had a good one THIS year. How does that compare to the last 10?

Yes you've had a good one THIS year. How does that compare to the last 10?

I would say 6 or 7 out of the 10 last years have been not bad winters. Classic do u live in the area?

Many areas the last few years haven't Been all that great either unless u consider having trails open for a month a good year.

Just because we may not get as much snow as others areas does that mean we can't have trails? Some people can't to afford going north all the time and would be more than happy to ride when they can around there home. Lots of sledders In my area and a lot don't ride north.

I would say 6 or 7 out of the 10 last years have been not bad winters. Classic do u live in the area?

Many areas the last few years haven't Been all

that great either unless u consider having trails

open for a month a good year.

Just because we may not get as much snow as others areas does that mean we can't have trails? Some people can't to afford going north

all the time and would be more than happy to

ride when they can around there home. Lots of

sledders In my area and a lot don't ride north.

Last year I did 2400km in district 5 and 9 over a 6 week season. Last year was ideal, because there was less wind and cold, which made for comfortable riding! This year season was about 2 weeks longer, but I think we had around 10 days that were in the minus 25 range with high winds and couldn't see anything.

Many areas the last few years haven't Been all that great either unless u consider having trails open for a month a good year.

Just because we may not get as much snow as others areas does that mean we can't have trails? Some people can't to afford going north all the time and would be more than happy to ride when they can around there home. Lots of sledders In my area and a lot don't ride north.

No but relatives do. They report. You only have to go north or west an hour to get good riding.

No but relatives do. They report. You only have to go north or west an hour to get good riding.

yep 1hour and 35 to the nearest trail from my place which is Cambridge but it is not always area that has snow. our group like to rides diff districts when we can just to change it up.

But I like said some people can't afford to travel, Gas, Trailer, car repairs, sled repairs etc: which is too bad cause there is some great riding out there.

Anyway sledderdan if you do decide to pursue this let me know I would be glad to help where I can.  We have a walking/bike trail that runs from Fort Erie to Niagara on the lake and crosses many of the towns in between. it would make a killer groomed trail but getting sled access may not be easy. never know till you try.

yep 1hour and 35 to the nearest trail from my place which is Cambridge but it is not always area that has snow. our group like to rides diff districts when we can just to change it up.

But I like said some people can't afford to travel, Gas, Trailer, car repairs, sled repairs etc: which is too bad cause there is some great riding out there.

Anyway sledderdan if you do decide to pursue this let me know I would be glad to help where I can.  We have a walking/bike trail that runs from Fort Erie to Niagara on the lake and crosses many of the towns in between. it would make a killer groomed trail but getting sled access may not be easy. never know till you try.

that would be awesome! I've biked that trail MANY times

that would be awesome! I've biked that trail MANY times

Maybe the potential for a atv trail for the summer as well . 

Too many different interest groups in Niagara. Too many old people. Too many unemployed. Not enough snow to make it viable, cost wise,  for groomed trails. I hate to be negative, but that's the reality. Look what's happening to the Eastside Trail system, we've had the City Welland bail out because of granola eating golfer types. Damage done by ATV's rut the trails out so bad that you would need 2ft + snow to cover them. The "Not in my Backyard" mentality is worse here than anywhere in Ontario. Can you imagine what carbides would do to the Niagara Pkwy trail from Fort Erie to NOTL! If you don't want to head North, head South to NY. Permit is only $45 and you can be riding trails 20 minutes from Fort Erie. Mind you they've been shut out most of the last two years, but when it's good, it's really good! I find when it does snow enough to ride here, it can be a lot of fun.....no need for groomed trails. That would only invited more people to rip up trails that would have limited coverage to begin with. We hook up with local farmers who usually lead us on a great ride through vineyards and fields. Once you get to know your way around you could almost make your way to an OFSC trail from here, but even this year I don't think there was enough snow for that.

You don't necessarily need to form a Club.

In our District 11, we have the Marten River and Temagami areas that do not have an OFSC Club but they have a group of Volunteers who are assisted very significantly by the a District providing groomers, signs, paying for fuel and repairs for that area because we as a District feel that both TOP A and TOP D need to be continuous.

That may not be the case in the Hamilton area and likely isn't.

In that case they need to form a club or get an adjacent club to expand their system.

As WildBill correctly suggested, contact the District Trails Chair.

Too many different interest groups in Niagara. Too many old people. Too many unemployed. Not enough snow to make it viable, cost wise,  for groomed trails. I hate to be negative, but that's the reality. Look what's happening to the Eastside Trail system, we've had the City Welland bail out because of granola eating golfer types. Damage done by ATV's rut the trails out so bad that you would need 2ft + snow to cover them. The "Not in my Backyard" mentality is worse here than anywhere in Ontario. Can you imagine what carbides would do to the Niagara Pkwy trail from Fort Erie to NOTL! If you don't want to head North, head South to NY. Permit is only $45 and you can be riding trails 20 minutes from Fort Erie. Mind you they've been shut out most of the last two years, but when it's good, it's really good! I find when it does snow enough to ride here, it can be a lot of fun.....no need for groomed trails. That would only invited more people to rip up trails that would have limited coverage to begin with. We hook up with local farmers who usually lead us on a great ride through vineyards and fields. Once you get to know your way around you could almost make your way to an OFSC trail from here, but even this year I don't think there was enough snow for that.

I see what you're saying about the large presence of old people in St. Catherines area. Evidently, they would not be pleased with snowmobiles. HOWEVER, what you are saying about the farmers leading you around only proves that establishing even one connector trail would be possible. IMO, this is definitely worth pursuing. 

To be positive though, you might be able to extend a trail down as far as Flamborough or Waterdown. They get more snow up there.

I see what you're saying about the large presence of old people in St. Catherines area. Evidently, they would not be pleased with snowmobiles. HOWEVER, what you are saying about the farmers leading you around only proves that establishing even one connector trail would be possible. IMO, this is definitely worth pursuing. 

Yes, but those crops change every year, and we only run them if we know whats under them, hence local knowledge. This year we've been able to ride for about a month, most years it would only be for a few days. Heck I was full on dirt biking two years ago this time on dry dusty trails! I just don't think you could get enough life out of trail to warrant the cost of grooming. It would be nice too have a marked trail for those few days though.

thanks for the input in regards to setting up trails around south Hamilton. .  I understand now that the big problem here is that we do not have favourable base building conditions in this region. That is the hard core reality.  We live in the armpit of Ontario here.  It was just a uneducated idea to network the trails to the Niagara region because there are trespassing trails everywhere around here.   So...we simply trailer our sleds off to areas north of here,  where this is possible and pump our money into those towns that we slide through.  The permits we do purchase, i make sure we buy from the club we mostly drop at.  I am actually greatful that there is the opportunity to do this, and if it wasn't for the great clubs and a full wallet (end of season now = empty) , the great services along our trail system, well...  none of this would be possible.  So thanks, and see ya soon... and keep up the good work.     

Archived