William Tozer & Trapping

revrnd

An article about the chap that runs the camp between Fraserdale & Moosonee:

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/news/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/2014/03/07/joseph-boyden&pubdate=2014-03-07

One year duriing our annual Northern Blastoff trips, we stopped @ thee Opaz' clubhouse. The girl running the canteen said that she wasn't going to be running it the following year as she had gotten her trappers licence. When she said that my brother and I asked her what they trapped for & the kind of sets they used. We had quite a chat about it.

That night in Hearst, our buddy asked the 2 of us what we were talking about. We said trapping. He wondered how the 2 of us from Oshawa, would know anything about trapping. Well the father of 2 of our childhood friends in Apsley was a trapper. We followed him around the bush on his 'line during the fall & winter.

I was down to the woodlot today and got a pic of a fisher on 1 of the trail cams (& a  :angry-smiley-005: coyote).

post-19781-0-34423400-1394409457_thumb.jpg

post-19781-0-23532100-1394409482_thumb.jpg

I may hafta see aboot buyin' that book, but from the article, you would think for sure that he was Cree, but Tozer is actually just a Hoser.

Might go good with my old books from Nick Jans.

Interesting that he got out of the plane business. I think he had up to 3 at one point.

..and with the Attawapiskat thing being busy too. ???

load the gun

Why? They aren't a timber wolf!

Because Coyotes are a huge problem. The farms I'm on are over run with them and they are aggressive. They are pretty much at the top of a food chain since not many hunt them. I like to be at the top of the food chain.

RR

Because Coyotes are a huge problem. The farms I'm on are over run with them and they are aggressive. They are pretty much at the top of a food chain since not many hunt them. I like to be at the top of the food chain.

RR

good answer that always has been my issue

Because Coyotes are a huge problem. The farms I'm on are over run with them and they are aggressive. They are pretty much at the top of a food chain since not many hunt them. I like to

be at the top of the food chain.

RR

I have several families on our farm property's. Not once have they bothered anyone. They hunt ground hogs, which are my biggest problem.Hardly know they are there. I could use

more of them.

We'll send you some from our area then.

• 4 years later...

Got in my December SnowTech magazine and was leafing through and the words "Otter Rapids" caught my eye. 

Now I know of "an" Otter Rapids, but prolly not the one that they are talking aboot in this magazine. There is prolly one in MinniConsin somewhere.... ???

But no - this article was (is) aboot running up to Moosonee and staying at Tozer's camp.

Article written by a hoser from S Ontario, not some Yankee. 

Thanks for posting the link Revrnd. Enjoyed the article.

3 hours ago, Ox said:

But no - this article was (is) aboot running up to Moosonee and staying at Tozer's camp.

I did this trip in 2009 with 7 others.  We got to met William, his son Ben, and his wife when he took us to his house to pay his wife his share of the trip money.  William is a very self sufficient individual that spends a lot of time at his camp alone or with his kids.  He took very good care of us and he is a good cook.  I would love to do this trip again if I get the chance.  BTW, there is not much in Moosonee.

Archived