Giant's Tomb Ride

Bark Biter

If anyone is heading out on Sat. or Sunday I would love to tag along. Would like to see before its gone. We will be heading out to the ice caves in the Almaguin region early in the week as well. Please let me know. thanks

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4mysled - I would be happy to take you out. Let me know when and where you would like to leave from. I can share some local knowledge if you need a place to trailer to. I am out of Port Severn/HoneyHarbour. It won't be a fast ride as I have my 5 year old riding on the front. I may be able to show you some other spectacular local spots we commonly ride if you are OK riding unmarked ice.

For those wondering, This years caves are spectacular but the caves do form on an annual basis in some form or another. For locals who do most of their riding on Georgian Bay, self included, we have been able to get to the island for the last 10 years for some duration of the season without running water or thin ice.

BB...is it difficult to find your way out to the caves from Penetang?  I am very tense when travelling on GB at the best of times.....LOL....but would love to see them before it is too late to go.  :confused:

from Penetang is probably one of the shorter routes. You can get on the ice at the bottom of the bay at Dock Lunch, room to park there or part way up the bay on the west side where the stake line takes you off the ice and to Jug City. ride up the bay and follow the stake line which will take you to the south tip of Beausoleil island. As you get far enough up the bay and the western shoreline opens up to the open ice looking to your left you will likely find a large number of east west tracks long before you get to the tip of Beausoleil. That shoreline you see when looking left and it will be a good distance off will be Giants' Tomb. On the weekend you will likely find a lot of traffic on the route especially middday. Run to the south end of Giants Tomb and around the south tip of the island. The caves run the full length of the western shore of the island.

There are lots of little chunks of ice sticking up here and there. Don't go ripping across and it is a safe trip. It should be a regular old highway out there this weekend.

Thanks 02.....we often ride up to Maple Valley from here.  I might just try it early next week!  Thanks for the info! :wavey:

FROM/DE: SOUTHERN GEORGIAN BAY DETACHMENT     DATE:  March 7, 2014

OPP ISSUE SAFETY WARNING OF GIANT’S TOMB ICE CAVES

(Tiny Township)- Members of the Southern Georgian Bay Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) would like to warn ice surface users of a potential hazard on the ice surface near and on the North West shoreline of Giant’s Tomb Island north of Tiny Township.

The warmer weather accompanied by the longer daylight hours of sunshine is causing the “ice caves” which formed naturally along the shoreline to become structural weaker and are beginning to crumble down.

The potential to become trapped or crushed by falling ice exists in and near these caves and anyone visiting these “ice caves” should stay clear as the warming days of spring approach.

Rode out this morning from Midland. No problem getting there or back. Nice sunny day and lots of sleds were out there or heading out.

4mysled, I would have offered to ride out with you but I was going with someone else and wasn't quite sure where and when we were going to meet up. As it was we had a little miscommunication and he was waiting for me at one location while I was waiting for him at a different location.

Thanks so much to Richy1010 for being our tour guide. We had a great time, and you showed us some great areas that we may have never seen before. It was great. My son was very taken with your little guy as well. The ice caves were amazing. There were a lot of sleds there taking in the scenery. I hope the warm up this week doesn't ruin the trails.

Once again thanks so much and it was great meeting you and  your son.

4my

I am taking a group out on Monday, hoping to leave Honey Harbour around 11-12ish, if any locals are willing to be our guide we would greatly appreciate it!

I might want to head out to see that. Once my buddy in midland gets feeling better we might head out to check it out.

20 of us were there Saturday from Gibson lake....it was an awesome sight to see

HI Gang!

Newbie here to the forums...

This past weekend (Saturday) I rode up from Barrie (started down by Hooters) to Orillia through Coldwater to Midland.  Excellent day for being on the trails.

Question, I couldn't find a gas station for the life of me in Midland.  Though I did have lots of gas from getting gas at the ESSO station on the trail just before arriving Midland.  Any idea where a gas station is located in Midland?  I went as far as those huge silos in the harbour.  I wanted to venture out to the Tombs, but wasn't sure about my gas situation.  How far is the tombs from UNIMIN Park area?  I saw the ice trail staked with Pine Trees.... 

Also, anyone going to Giants Tomb later this week?  I'd sure like to go with someone/group that knows the area.  

Thanks in advance,

Scotty

20 of us were there Saturday from Gibson lake....it was an awesome sight to see

23 Jimmy!

Welcome to the forum The Navigator!

I would also be interested In going out to the tombs later this week with someone who "knows there way around"

I couldn't find a gas station for the life of me in Midland.  Though I did have lots of gas from getting gas at the ESSO station on the trail just before arriving Midland.  Any idea where a gas station is located in Midland? 

I like to get gas in Waubashene, as you did, because it's right on the trail and they have food, washrooms, and a store, but I know what you mean about trying to find gas in Midland. I was there a few time without seeing a station, and one time I was getting very low on fuel. Last week, though, I was with White Dragon, Bill, fastwhite cat and some others, (on our Giant's Tomb ride) and found out where to get gas.

The red circle is the gas station. The yellow circle is the Comfort Inn right on C trail. The red dots show the path to the gas station. Near the hotel you leave C trail and sled down Cranston Crescent until you get to the Skidoo dealer, Factory Recreation. You drive through their parking lot toward Highway 12. Go east in a field along the highway and you will see a couple of places where sleds have gone up the bank and across the highway to the gas station. You would have to be really careful crossing the highway - - the bank is a bit steep and you would not want to pop out onto the highway at any speed.

click to enlarge

post-22473-0-86193500-1394466139_thumb.jpg

HI Gang!

Newbie here to the forums...

This past weekend (Saturday) I rode up from Barrie (started down by Hooters) to Orillia through Coldwater to Midland.  Excellent day for being on the trails.

Question, I couldn't find a gas station for the life of me in Midland.  Though I did have lots of gas from getting gas at the ESSO station on the trail just before arriving Midland.  Any idea where a gas station is located in Midland?  I went as far as those huge silos in the harbour.  I wanted to venture out to the Tombs, but wasn't sure about my gas situation.  How far is the tombs from UNIMIN Park area?  I saw the ice trail staked with Pine Trees.... 

Also, anyone going to Giants Tomb later this week?  I'd sure like to go with someone/group that knows the area.  

Thanks in advance,

Scotty

There isn't any gas readily available in Midland by sled... you have to work for it a bit. There is an Esso station on William St. about a km. south of hwy 12. I have seen sleds run down William when there is snow on it. If you are on C trail you come behind the Comfort Inn which is on the corner of King and hwy 12. just before you get to the Inn if you are heading west you will run through a bit of a field as you are going through the industrial section. The road you cross closest to hwy 12 runs east west. Just east of that intersection is Factory Recreation. It is on the south side of hwy 12. There is a gas station pretty much across hwy 12 from there and no fences in between.

If you had gassed up at the Esso in Waubashene where the trail runs across hwy 12 you would have had no problem getting to Giant's Tomb. It's about 20 km out from Midland.

Also if you are on the old rail line C trail you will cross Rosemount Rd. It's a very short run down Rosemount heading north to hwy 12. There is a Shell station right on the corner.

There is a Spritz station on Vindin Street.  They actually groom a trail along Vindin to the gas station. You only need to cross the road. 

There is a Spritz station on Vindin Street.  They actually groom a trail along Vindin to the gas station. You only need to cross the road. 

is that where Vindin and Fourth meet or is it further up?... that would be off 305 right? I haven't ventured up that way since I was told Murray Rd is a challenge for cooling and lube.

Correct, 305 goes north on harbourview after crossing the road, instead turn left (south) and follow the trail. Can't miss it.  I was last on Murray Rd a couple weeks ago (by sled) and it was fine then, but I'm sure with the recent weather it may be quite bare.

Not really from the area and don't know Georgian bay very well. Do people think the ice will be fine to ride out on Wednesday? I know a few of the caves may have crumbled now but that is okay. 

We are planning on heading out that way on Thursday for a ride. If anyone wants to join us let me know..

We are planning on heading out that way on Thursday for a ride. If anyone wants to join us let me know..

I am interested in coming along. I have never been out that way before and would love to see the tombs, and the area!

For people trailering to that area via Highway 11, I recommend parking at Carlyon Line and Division Road in Orillia. You can sled to Midland from there in under ninety minutes, including a gas stop if needed.

Archived