How'd You Find OC?

revrnd

I found OC via a link on the Snowcrest Riders web site.

Hehe, I put that there ;)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found out about OC from 14Snow.  He told me about a few at the time.  

That was back in 2006 I believe.  I was here long enough to go into withdrawal when the great crash of December 2008 occurred.  In early January after waiting impatiently for its return, I built a new forum to prove that it could be done in hours, not weeks (of course with a loss of all our history).   It was an Oh crap! moment when word got out.   That test forum became the new OC quickly.  We didn't need the OC name, just the people and the place to post. I did not see that coming!   The server the test forum was on had no chance of handling the normal traffic, especially in January and STG in full posting mode.

Lots of scurrying and team effort, all was rebuilt and we quickly built back the important part of OC, its members.

For those that are new, this is why there is no history prior to January 2008.  If you have seen some of STG's posts, you have probably been saved some costly medical bills.

Best forum for information with the best group of people on it, Have made some great friends from here, always nice to put a face to one of the members for sure, Like White Dragon the rides when a bunch of us get together are always a blast..

I remember last year at the Rock Pine while doing our trip a member came outside and was all excited to meet Sledjunk and myself as he had seen our post knowing we were coming through the area.

Thanks to LMV and Domino for the forum and the Moderators and the especially the members that make it what it is for sure..

Nunz

Did a google search and found this forum.

Arranged to meet WD for a ride a few seasons back and the rest is history.

The riding and laughs have only got better with WD and Bill. Surprising they ride with a DOO GUY. Lol

Met some other great OC members on other rides and hope to meet many more.

Best place for information and the best members.

See you on the trails soon.

That was back in 2006 I believe.  I was here long enough to go into withdrawal when the great crash of December 2008 occurred.  In early January after waiting impatiently for its return, I built a new forum to prove that it could be done in hours, not weeks (of course with a loss of all our history).   It was an Oh crap! moment when word got out.   That test forum became the new OC quickly.  We didn't need the OC name, just the people and the place to post. I did not see that coming!   The server the test forum was on had no chance of handling the normal traffic, especially in January and STG in full posting mode.

Lots of scurrying and team effort, all was rebuilt and we quickly built back the important part of OC, its members.

For those that are new, this is why there is no history prior to January 2008.  If you have seen some of STG's posts, you have probably been saved some costly medical bills.

Marty, you did a great job. Since SW had gone into the toilet I had found a new home. I had lurked on it for a while & posted a few things, but kept a low profile since I was a mod on the other site. We had a great crowd over there & even though some of the US sledders never rode in Canada, they were like family. Reima Gal from NS, Rocketman from SK & Bogie from Ft. Smith (I think) w/ this for his avatar:

post-19781-0-27115000-1452565403_thumb.jpg

LOL

Not sure if it was him or 1 of the other westerners, but a moment to celebrate meant it was time for a Pils:

post-19781-0-50356900-1452565546_thumb.jpg

When I was up in Dawson City in '05 I asked the waitress in Diamond Tooth Gertie's for 1 when we were ordering drinks. She said, "You must be from Saskatchewan because they're the only folks that drink it." LOL

I almost forgot MikeD was there too on SW.

Most of us communicated via PM, not email. when VS messed up the site, they disabled that feature & most of us lost contact w/ each other. I figured if I was going to hang out somewhere it would be OC. I haven't met as many of the gang here as the SW crowd, but I think it's more of a geography thing that not wanting to meet you guys.

I was struggling to find snow winter of 2012/13 and found the OC. Love the no BS (not you Backsleddn) and general respect as well as the accurate information shared between users.

I was struggling to find snow winter of 2012/13 and found the OC. Love the no BS (not you Backsleddn) and general respect as well as the accurate information shared between users.

The trouble makers elsewhere know the mods won't put up w/ any BS so they avoid the site.

Marty, you did a great job. 

It was Rick who brought everyone together and created this community. That is where the true social media magic is.  I was just helping to get it going again in the background.  (I saw a couple of comments in this thread about pre-2008 and realized not everyone knows that there is an OC history pre-dating all of our join dates)

Yes back in the Virtual Cobalt (Virtual BackUp) days

Seeing a response elsewhere. I forgot FishHog from my SW days too.

MY PROBATION OFFICER TOLD ME...

MY PROBATION OFFICER TOLD ME...

What about his duty to keep you away from old reprobates?

Some excellent characters here some good guys have passed on too . 

It's too bad we lost all the History of the first start of OC.... what where we called before? there was a name change before OC.com There was the first site then we moved to OC.com, then there was the BIG crash.... and now? is this right? I lost lots of my Post count I had way more then this small 1400 post lol

It was Rick who brought everyone together and created this community. That is where the true social media magic is. I was just helping to get it going again in the background. (I saw a

couple of comments in this thread about pre-2008 and realized not everyone knows that there

is an OC history pre-dating all of our join dates)

It all started when Rick created a local New Dundee snowmobile site! New Dundee sold a record amount of permits that year too because of the website. Only negative problem was the amount of traffic on the local trails, strictly because of the website. Everyone was complaining about the heavy traffic so Rick created Ontario Conditions site and made New

Dundee a sub forum. Now other clubs are part of the sub forums as well. Get old crazy days. Too bad Rick doesn't sled anymore, use to enjoy riding with him. Maybe some day, he will be back on a sled!

It all started when Rick created a local New Dundee snowmobile site! New Dundee sold a record amount of permits that year too because of the website. Only negative problem was the amount of traffic on the local trails, strictly because of the website. Everyone was complaining about the heavy traffic so Rick created Ontario Conditions site and made New

Dundee a sub forum. Now other clubs are part of the sub forums as well. Get old crazy days. Too bad Rick doesn't sled anymore, use to enjoy riding with him. Maybe some day, he will be back on a sled!

It's difficult for Rick to find a Helmet that fits his Cementhead    :-P

It's difficult for Rick to find a Helmet that fits his Cementhead :-P

Oh come on be nice, he wasn't the only one that took a tumble coming off the high snow banks at road crossing. Lol! Hopefully he can get back on a sled soon! We use to go to ever new Dundee club meeting by starting out at pecks or

ej's ride to the meeting afterwords, then a club

ride afterwords. Only guy I knew that was ready to ride by early afternoon.

Take the helmet out of the box ,wear the box

Is it dot approved?

• 3 weeks later...

Ya but do you remember who you rode with for the 1st time from the forum?

I will never forget that ride, haven't been the same after meeting you, lmao

All kidding aside great work getting it back together after the crash!

Ya but do you remember who you rode with for the 1st time from the forum?

I will never forget that ride, haven't been the same after meeting you, lmao

All kidding aside great work getting it back together after the crash!

I've been in counselling ever since.....Of course I remember.  They say that's my issue.

Came out of a local watering hole in 2003 and found a OC sticker on my sled.

After I logged on and recognized some locals to me on this site, I remembered they had stopped by our table that night and were all grins and giggling away about something.

My first post was "Who stickered my sled!"

They fessed up later, it was all good.  :-D 

Archived