ODSC,Baxter&SMART loop today

Kerry

Well considering today was the third day of a free 'Family Day' weekend we weren't too sure what the trails would be like and boy were we surprised.We trailered to coldwater and did a loop of C,trail 15,B105,Trail 10,Trail 17,B105 and B105C back into Coldwater.Not a big loop but one we haven't done in a couple years or so.Lots of snow AND cold sure goes a long way to make a good trail in the canadian shield and all three clubs had sections that were groomed either last night or in the last couple nights so the ride was great.Caught sight of 6 deer- all in fine shape but also came across a picked clean carcass of what looked to be a baby deer out on the severn on trail 10 if memory serves.Didn't stop to take any pics.Wife saw that and wouldn't stop,guess she figured the coyotes might think about gunning for us or something.Anyway just wanted to say that all the clubs in our area have done an awesome job of grooming and this has definately been a highlight year for riding pretty much every time out.

Kerry

glad to see you had a nice ride...

Well considering today was the third day of a free 'Family Day' weekend we weren't too sure what the trails would be like and boy were we surprised.We trailered to coldwater and did a loop of C,trail 15,B105,Trail 10,Trail 17,B105 and B105C back into Coldwater.Not a big loop but one we haven't done in a couple years or so.Lots of snow AND cold sure goes a long way to make a good trail in the canadian shield and all three clubs had sections that were groomed either last night or in the last couple nights so the ride was great.Caught sight of 6 deer- all in fine shape but also came across a picked clean carcass of what looked to be a baby deer out on the severn on trail 10 if memory serves.Didn't stop to take any pics.Wife saw that and wouldn't stop,guess she figured the coyotes might think about gunning for us or something.Anyway just wanted to say that all the clubs in our area have done an awesome job of grooming and this has definately been a highlight year for riding pretty much every time out.

Kerry

We were on a similar route on Sunday and went by the deer remains on the ice of 17/10. The lock master at Swift Rapids feeds the deer in his yard. Sometimes as you go past the house you will see a herd of deer out there eating away. We came across a number of deer on our trip. The area is well populated with them.

Yes there were lots of well used  animal trails throughout the wooded sections.Really great ride and I especially liked the wooded areas that force you to slow down and really manouver your machine at least for a little while.Many spots remind me of the side trails in the Haliburton Forest.

Kerry

Yes there were lots of well used  animal trails throughout the wooded sections.Really great ride and I especially liked the wooded areas that force you to slow down and really manouver your machine at least for a little while.Many spots remind me of the side trails in the Haliburton Forest.

Kerry

Well, today we finally made it to these trails.  The last time we were on the Baxter/Smart trails would be approximately 6 years ago.  What a beautiful job they have done with them this year.  It made me laugh when I read your comment on Haliburton Forest.  That is exactly what I was thinking as I was riding trails 15, 14 and B105 today.  Unbelievable!!  We saw quite a few deer also.  I stopped at the Smart groomer shack and spoke with the guys there and congratulated them on a great job.  It is so nice to see they have the snow and cold to work with finally.  We did a little loop from Port Stanton-Orillia-Port Severn and back.  Very nice ride.  Every trail was groomed to perfection.  WE also had a great lunch at the DAM GRILL.  Nice spot they have there.  Was also nice to see some more people out there today.  Everyone had big grins on their face today.  Here are a few pics.  Again, trails were to darn nice to take too many pics.  Sorry.   LOL

post-21220-0-49033400-1393474950_thumb.jpgpost-21220-0-80899300-1393474956_thumb.jpgpost-21220-0-43908000-1393474961_thumb.jpgpost-21220-0-16380100-1393474967_thumb.jpgpost-21220-0-86956100-1393474971_thumb.jpgpost-21220-0-55390800-1393474977_thumb.jpgpost-21220-0-32637600-1393474983_thumb.jpg

Great pics it is good to see that they overcame their groomer issues and that all is good again they are good people

Hey Wildbill, it is people like you and them that make our sport what it is today.  Keep up the good work.  I wish you many more successful years in your business.

Looks like next week will be really cold during the nights as well so we are definately gonna get another run up there.Just change the route a bit and go up thru port severn and six mile lake and around.

Kerry

What a great year for sledding.  I am going to hate seeing all the pics and posts from Mid March till who knows when!!!  We have to re-open our business April 1st this year.  Sledding will be done for us in a few weeks.  Damn work!!!!!!!!  So please don't post too many beauty pics and info in March and April.  LOL  Enjoy it everyone, who knows when we will have a great year like this one again.

Looks like next week will be really cold during the nights as well so we are definately gonna get another run up there.Just change the route a bit and go up thru port severn and six mile lake and around.

Kerry

if you get the chance 17 across the lock at Swift Raipds is quite scenic. You run a chain of lakes some of them that haven't any cottages or anyone around. Likely to see some deer near the lock.,

Yes we did that on the last run.It is very scenic.Going to go up thru C to probably 11a to C to B105 to 14 to B105 and into coldwater.Little different than last time.Nice batch of snow again today,cold temps and hopefully a couple of days off during the week and we can give er a go!

Kerry

Trail 17 is one of my favorite runs. I winter camp up in there. Sometimes even cheat and do a run to Tim's in Gravenhurst for a coffee. Late afternoon the deer show up at the dam. If you turn off your sled and sit there they will came really close.

RR

Trail 17 is one of my favorite runs. I winter camp up in there. Sometimes even cheat and do a run to Tim's in Gravenhurst for a coffee. Late afternoon the deer show up at the dam. If you turn off your sled and sit there they will came really close.

RR

I saw a huge wolf back on Boleau lake ,Paws larger than my hand spread out.

Lots of deer kill this winter.

Have you ever winter camped at MCcrae lake?

I saw a huge wolf back on Boleau lake ,Paws larger than my hand spread out.

Lots of deer kill this winter.

Have you ever winter camped at MCcrae lake?

How is 17 doing with the thaw. Is it a sheet of ice.... looking to take that route on the weekend.

More than enough lube 02. Groomer is returning from pretty channel as I type this.

Hey Yukon!!  We rode GB and decided to run a few of your trails again this past week.  All I can say is AWESOME!!  Ok, so I have more to say, what else is new.  LOL

We rode the C, 16 and a few other feeder trails.  They were fabulous.  Once you are away from the roads it is great.  Lots of snow and lube to be had.  Great job!!  OH and remember last time I asked you a question on here about your trails and you told me to stay away from 16, well I didn't listen this week and by mistake I ended up on 16 off of Georgian Bay and it was AWESOME.   Thanks for a great year and the food was EXCELLENT at the Amco station /H&S restaurant.  Can't wait to go back there next year.  Have a great season.

Hey Yukon!!  We rode GB and decided to run a few of your trails again this past week.  All I can say is AWESOME!!  Ok, so I have more to say, what else is new.  LOL

We rode the C, 16 and a few other feeder trails.  They were fabulous.  Once you are away from the roads it is great.  Lots of snow and lube to be had.  Great job!!  OH and remember last time I asked you a question on here about your trails and you told me to stay away from 16, well I didn't listen this week and by mistake I ended up on 16 off of Georgian Bay and it was AWESOME.   Thanks for a great year and the food was EXCELLENT at the Amco station /H&S restaurant.  Can't wait to go back there next year.  Have a great season.

Next year take C trail north from the Amco and cross the McDonald River bridge... a view they could make post cards with. Run 17 from swift rapids down a chain of lakes and realize that this long lake hasn't any cottages on it. Run across Big Chute Marine Railway.... let us know when you're in the area next year.

Next year take C trail north from the Amco and cross the McDonald River bridge... a view they could make post cards with. Run 17 from swift rapids down a chain of lakes and realize that this long lake hasn't any cottages on it. Run across Big Chute Marine Railway.... let us know when you're in the area next year.

Will do that next year for sure. Last time I ran C trail north from the Amco and took the chain of lakes and over to big chute was quite a while ago.

Great ride up to Parry Sound that way.

That it is. Port Severn has lots of well lit parking right at the end of the off ramp exit 156 from the 400 to stage from. Permits, trail maps, good food and fuel available a few hundred feet away. Parking and staging as well as 24 hour washrooms are available at the Brissette House adjacent the Petro Can. The Petro Can has Tims, Hero Burger, Pita Hut and soon Pizza Nova. There is an oversized wash bay across from the Brissette House which will easily accomodate your truck or trailer to get the snirt off. All within sight of the end of the ramp. On top of that this is all right on the C trail. Dam Grill, Inn at Christies Mill, Rawley Resort and LCBO are 5 minutes east of there on C trail.

Just a few minutes south of there right off the 400 are Team Powersports (Cat Dealer) and Marsh's Marina (Polaris Dealer) less than 10 mins south of Port Severn and 20 minutes away in Midland is Factory Rec (Skidoo dealer).

If you are heading out on the ice of G Bay we have Village Marina in Honey Harbour for fuel and more. We hope to have Delawan open next winter for accomodation. What more could a snowmobiler ask for.

We can most likely find someone to provide suggestions or tour guide services most weekends.

Where D8 and D7 meet it is the gateway to Muskoka and only 1 hour and 15 minutes from hwy 400 & 401.

02 Are you going to be riding on Saturday, We are off and are thinking of riding from Division Rd around 9am heading towards Midland/Port Severn area, was hoping to meet up with you guys if you are riding.

Thanks

Nunz

02 Are you going to be riding on Saturday, We are off and are thinking of riding from Division Rd around 9am heading towards Midland/Port Severn area, was hoping to meet up with you guys if you are riding.

Thanks

Nunz

Unfortunately I have called it a season. Not that I really wanted to. I didn't anticipate having snow this late in the season. I have a bunch of things to do around home this weekend as I am starting a bout of business travel. My first destination is a week in California. I think Canuck or Yukon is still riding. I am ready to roll next year though for sure and I will delay my annual business travel later in the year.

Thanks for the reply, have a great trip and we can hopefully meet up next winter sometime.

Take care!!

Nunz

Hey Yukon!! We rode GB and decided to run a few of your trails again this past week. All I can say is AWESOME!! Ok, so I have more to say, what else is new. LOL

We rode the C, 16 and a few other feeder trails. They were fabulous. Once you are away from the roads it is great. Lots of snow and lube to be had. Great job!! OH and remember last time I asked you a question on here about your trails and you told me to stay away from 16, well I didn't listen this week and by mistake I ended up on 16 off of Georgian Bay and it was AWESOME. Thanks for a great year and the food was EXCELLENT at the Amco station /H&S restaurant. Can't wait to go back there next year. Have a great season.

Nice to hear you enjoyed your riding experience with Baxter. I will be sure to pass on the thanks to all who volunteered to make it happen.

Archived