First time - Huntsville to Sundridge - Beautiful

Ultrafrozen

My wife Carole and I had a great trip in the Huntsville area with iREVerent and his wife Carol.  We drove down Wednesday and had time for a quick guided ride on beautiful trails before heading out for a great Halibut fish and chips at Westside Fish and Chips.  Thanks to irREVerent's impeccable knowledge of the trails we never got lost and he even took the time to plot the route for the three days, see below.  I'll post pics in separate posts.

Wednesday afternoon – quick warm-up loop (75 kms)

--  D102B south from Fairy Lake to HGR # 54
--  Trail 54 east to Portage Bay on Lake of Bays, followed stakeline north to ASC # 77 at Dwight Beach
--  stayed on 77 east to Oxtongue Rapids, stopped for some pics, continued east to D101B, south to ASC # 74
--  turned north on ASC 74 to Oxtongue Lake, then north to D101B junction (that section of D101B closed for logging)
--  doubled-back on temporary detour (74 to 73), followed it west to D101B, then west to 77 back through Dwight to Lake of Bays
--  followed stakeling back to Portage Bay and HGR trail 54, then hopped on Peninsula Lake at North Portage, followed stakeline to Deerhurst
--  crossed Canal Road, hopped on east end of Fairy Lake back to starting point

Thursday – saddle-bag to Sundridge (180 kms)   

--  picked up DYW # 88 on Fairy Lake stakeline, followed 88 north through Grandview, across Hwy. 60 to D1012B
--  followed D102B north through Deerhurst, up to Williamsport,, stopped at ice fall beside Big East River, then continued northeast to D101B
--  followed D101B to D, then west to Kearney, took AL # 97 through Kearney to # AL 302, then east on AL # 303 to Sand Lake
--  stopped at Edgewater for fuel and lunch, continued east to AL 301, out to Ice Caves on Dewfish Lake, stopped for lots of pics and exploration
--  back west on 301 to D, then north on D to AL # 300
--  west on 300 to AL # 304, then southwest to Lookout, stopped for lots of pics and good break
--  continued on 304 to D123, followed it north to AL # 306, followed it west to Lake Bernard
--  followed stakeline west to middle of lake, then secondary stakeline south to North Ridge Inn, parked for the night

Friday – saddle-bag back to Muskoka  (160 kms)

--  followed stakelines back north and then west on Lake Bernard to Sundridge, stopped for fuel
--  followed NN # 410 west of town to C104D, then west on it (lots of road-running!!!) to MRR # 712 near Magnetewan
--  turned south on 712, across Lake Cecebe then west to MRR # 711, followed it south to # 704, then east to D (Seguin Trail) and into Sprucedale for lunch
--  back west and south on D to DYW # 85, followed 85 east to #83, then north of 83 back to D/Seguin, then east to HR # 95
--  south on 95 all the way to D102B, then south on D102B to DYW # 88 at Deerhurst, then west onto Fairy Lake stakeline and back to starting point  

Was that a 2-sled run for you Andre ?  Sounds like fun !  One day ....  :D

We experienced a big variety of trails from narrow "hold onto your shorts" twisties, open fields, dense bush, quick lake runs and hilly trails.  The weather was very co-operative with many sunny breaks and the forecasted snow didn't materialize.  The food and cabin accommodations were great at the Northridge Inn in Sundridge and both lunch stops (Edgewater and Sprucedale) were enjoyed as well.

Here are a few pics:

those are nice trails you rode...it is a great area...glad you & wife had good time...pics ?

UltraF - I was with you all the way until you tried to slip "irREVerent never got lost" past us readers. That really pushed your story beyond the boundaries of credibility.

Otherwise, I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your visit South.

UltraF - I was with you all the way until you tried to slip "irREVerent never got lost" past us readers. That really pushed your story beyond the boundaries of credibility.

How far is it to Drummondville again???... :lmao:  

Thanks for the report, Andre...but what happened to your pics?  (Didn't show in your second post above.)

If you have problems posting them, let me know...you can send them to me and I'll add them to this thread. 

There were a couple glances at the trail map for a quick check but apart from a GPS check to verify which stakeline to take on a lake, all went very well.

Still trying to get pictures on here.  One more try!

Was that a 2-sled run for you Andre ?  Sounds like fun !  One day ....   :D

Yes two sleds, Carole took her new Vector out for a ride with us but she was a little tired when all was done.

Thanks for the report, Andre...but what happened to your pics?  (Didn't show in your second post above.)

If you have problems posting them, let me know...you can send them to me and I'll add them to this thread. 

I was finally able to post pics but a lot of mine didn't work out.  I ended up with many pics of my feet.

I didn't mention anything about the crazy Nytro driver or of the Beaver yet.

Looking forward to meeting ya Andre..

Looks like a great trip

How did I get dragged into this :wtf::lol:

Good stuff Ultrafrozen. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself down in this area.

Nunz is excited about meeting up with you as part of his northern expedition with Karen this week.

Looking forward to meeting ya Andre..

Good stuff Ultrafrozen. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself down in this area.

Nunz is excited about meeting up with you as part of his northern expedition with Karen this week.

I had a nice dinner with Nunz, Karen and friend last night.  A good bunch and very knowledgeable about touring destinations.  I'm always surprised by how much Southern touring sledders know about the North. 

Archived