Lake Muskoka Conditions 2014 ??

paulh

Was wondering the conditions in general around Horseshoe Island and beyond,  I could see the mouth of the Indian river was open much more than usual. Just wanted to do some ice fishing etc.

Thanks in advance.

I have no clue how thick the ice is, but there are many sled tracks in some areas, no tracks in other areas. The lake has quite a bit of snow on top of the ice, so it is not the best for making good time on a sled, except in the well packed areas such as inside the Narrows of Muskoka Bay down to the Gravenhurst Wharf.

In the areas I have traveled, ie Gravenhurst to Walker's Point, across to Birch and Pine Island, there was some slush in places this past weekend. I saw half a dozen huts on the west end of Birch Island. Other huts just north of the Narrows. Between Taboo and the Narrows there was a bit of slush, but mostly just powder snow and sled tracks.

Another sledder went from Indian Head Harbour up west of Beaumaris and then to Scarcliffe Bay in the past few days. He reported three feet of powder on top of the ice, with no visible sled tracks north of Beaumaris.

Thanks so much Blake,, Just wanted to get the warm and fuzzy,  I will be careful no doubt !

Cheers Paul

In some ways I am surprised there are spots that would still be considered hazardous. They have reported that over 80% of the great lakes are frozen over and Georgian Bay is fully frozen over for the first time since 1996. As always if you don't know don't go.

How about Lake Joe? Anybody crossing this year?

Can we get to Bass Lake House from the lake?

I see the trail inbound is still yellow.

I would be interested in an answer to the same questions. I haven't been on the three lakes very much this year, with so many trails being in top shape.

Hi All... long time lurker first time poster...  Our cottage is located at the top end of Lake Joe one bay over from Gordon Bay Marine...  Been riding the lake for some time now.  Been all over  the lake the last several weekends, inclusive of the north end, out in the big lake, down to Sandfield etc.  From Gordon bay you can shoot right down to Bass Lake no problem, and if you were getting on in Hamer Bay you are also good to go.  You can either shoot straight down on the east side of the island, or go through the narrows towards gordon bay then head south to Bass lake.  There is lots of snow on top of the ice, but no slush really to speak of.  2 weekends ago we left from the top end of Lake Joe and headed down the lake, 3 feet of fresh powder that day and it was great... headed to a friends place on little lake joe and got off the lake.  We then cut over to Lake rosseau and got on at Morgan Bay and headed south to Red leaves... lots of tracks and lots snow... really an epic ride other than the fact that my brother in laws chaincase blew on his new viper xtx.  Following lunch at red leaves, we headed south towards Sandfield and crossed under the bridge (not shooting the water) to get back on Lake joe.  Rode the lake to Bass, then headed back up to the top end of Lake Joe.  Long story short and to J-Fly and Blake G's question... Lake joe in my mind is perfectly good to go.   We did a tour to Haliburton last week staying at the pinestone, so didn't ride Muskoka last weekend.  But i can only assume that the lakes will be a little better as the snow should have packed down a little.  Hope that the above helps and enjoy reading the forums.

AMX, Great news, thanks.

How much road running from Red Leaves to the 350 trail to the north?

AMX that's a very helpful summary of what's up on the top lakes. Thank you.

thanks AMX!

I ran Muskoka across the top last weekend and soon I want to head on Rosseau and Joe, this is my first year ever running those big lakes and really enjoy seeking out new areas for different rides.   

great info!

Dan

Welcome to the forum AMX.  That might be the best "first" post ever on the OC.  Lots of great information.  Can you let us know what happened to the viper?

J-Fly... can't really comment on how much road running from Red Leaves to the 350... we always come and go by the lake to red leaves.  That said, if we were to head to the 350 fromm red leaves, we would shoot straight up lake rosseau and hit the trail in the town of Rosseau. Been a while since we have hit that trail, but if memory serves me right there should only be a little road running right in town. Our typical riding loops actually takes us west and north out to Georgian bay and Parry sound areas, rather than east.  

To Re: leaf and the viper... a little foggy, but from what i understand  the chain was loose and jumped off the gear and trashed around.  He only had about 300 km on the sled at the time, but i think that with all of the powder on the lakes that day (no word of a lie, 2.5-3 feet) and essentially holding it to the bar all day, the chain must've stretched out and jumped off.  All covered under warranty and the dealer had him up and running by the next weekend.  Other than this, the sled has been great for him and he mentions that it is now starting to "loosen up" and feel a little snappier.  At first, he was slightly let down as he felt that it was a lot slower than his old nytro, although handled much much better over all.  Could also be that with the side exit exhaust rather than the rear, he is not "hearing" the power as much, therefore feeling a little slower.

Hope everyone has a great weekend of riding and stay safe.

J-Fly... can't really comment on how much road running from Red Leaves to the 350... we always come and go by the lake to red leaves.  That said, if we were to head to the 350 fromm red leaves, we would shoot straight up lake rosseau and hit the trail in the town of Rosseau. Been a while since we have hit that trail, but if memory serves me right there should only be a little road running right in town. Our typical riding loops actually takes us west and north out to Georgian bay and Parry sound areas, rather than east.  

To Re: leaf and the viper... a little foggy, but from what i understand  the chain was loose and jumped off the gear and trashed around.  He only had about 300 km on the sled at the time, but i think that with all of the powder on the lakes that day (no word of a lie, 2.5-3 feet) and essentially holding it to the bar all day, the chain must've stretched out and jumped off.  All covered under warranty and the dealer had him up and running by the next weekend.  Other than this, the sled has been great for him and he mentions that it is now starting to "loosen up" and feel a little snappier.  At first, he was slightly let down as he felt that it was a lot slower than his old nytro, although handled much much better over all.  Could also be that with the side exit exhaust rather than the rear, he is not "hearing" the power as much, therefore feeling a little slower.

Hope everyone has a great weekend of riding and stay safe.

I was told of guys going from the trail to the lake via the Shadow river is this safe?

Ok thanks AMX

Just be really careful guys !!

My parents back in the 70's were snowmobiling with a group of 10 across Rosseau during the day when they hit a blowdown or what they call a folded ridge in the ice.

4 sleds went under but all people including mom and dad got out ok. a few people had ropes with them to pull them out.  

They had to break into a cottage to get warm. .

They are almost impossible to see at any speed, probably some of you have it ice blow-ups but the blowdowns or folded ridge is deathly.

Here is a link that describes them better, http://lakeice.squarespace.com/pressure-ridges/

Just don't take anyone's opinion that the ice is safe, Just ask my neighbour who put a team of horses through the ice on lake Muskoka when he was a kid...or the guy coming home from the "Inn on the Bay" a forgotton bar in Milford Bay. He veered off course in the night into the mouth of the Indian River. I could here his screams for help in a wintery blizzard when I was barely a teen. They got him out that night but it was to late. 

Just be careful

Cheers

Today I was near The Narrows beween Muskoka Bay and the big part of Lake Muskoka, and it looked as though there was open water.

I don't know if it may have been water "on top" of the ice or not. The visibility was not the best (cloudy and dreary day) and I didn't want to get too close, but I could see water from shore to shore, and it looked to be about twenty feet across. The water seemed to be pretty dark, so I don't think it was a thin layer of water with ice beneath.

Five days ago there were dozens of sled tracks on hard packed snow going through The Narrows, and what seemed to be a thin layer of water on top of the ice, extending out about five or ten feet from each shore.

Update. Someone just confirmed that it was open water, as they sledded across it today.

even though we have had a very cold winter and more cold coming this week it's that time of year when ice that was good a short time ago may begin to become questionable. Especially after the thaw and the rain days. I was in Wasaga Beach yesterday and today and we are 1 km downriver from the River Rd. W bridge. There was open water showing up at the side of the river in front of us. From now until the end of the season I'm going to start being even more observant of some of the ice conditions. There will still be lots of solid ice for a good while yet but where there is current could be dicey.

I trust that they are ok?

Well, physically they are fine. No comment on their psychiatric condition. LOL

I did ask the fellow if he could see the open water in advance, or just suddenly found himself crossing it. He said he could see it in advance.

It would be quite easy for someone to end up in that place, without realizing it until too late.

Well, physically they are fine. No comment on their psychiatric condition. LOL

I did ask the fellow if he could see the open water in advance, or just suddenly found himself crossing it. He said he could see it in advance.

It would be quite easy for someone to end up in that place, without realizing it until too late.

often if you try stopping when you see it you swim 

even though we have had a very cold winter and more cold coming this week it's that time of year when ice that was good a short time ago may begin to become questionable. Especially after the thaw and the rain days. I was in Wasaga Beach yesterday and today and we are 1 km downriver from the River Rd. W bridge. There was open water showing up at the side of the river in front of us. From now until the end of the season I'm going to start being even more observant of some of the ice conditions. There will still be lots of solid ice for a good while yet but where there is current could be dicey.

I agree whole-heartedly.

My cousins do dock work on Lake Muskoka. On Tuesday I told them that tons of sledders were traveling The Narrows, and asked for their opinions. They said they wouldn't trust the ice even with the cold weather we've been having, because the lake's water levels were changing, which would create a current in that narrow portion of the lake. Apparently they were correct.

Hi All... long time lurker first time poster...  Our cottage is located at the top end of Lake Joe one bay over from Gordon Bay Marine...  Been riding the lake for some time now.  Been all over  the lake the last several weekends, inclusive of the north end, out in the big lake, down to Sandfield etc.  From Gordon bay you can shoot right down to Bass Lake no problem, and if you were getting on in Hamer Bay you are also good to go.  You can either shoot straight down on the east side of the island, or go through the narrows towards gordon bay then head south to Bass lake.  There is lots of snow on top of the ice, but no slush really to speak of.  2 weekends ago we left from the top end of Lake Joe and headed down the lake, 3 feet of fresh powder that day and it was great... headed to a friends place on little lake joe and got off the lake.  We then cut over to Lake rosseau and got on at Morgan Bay and headed south to Red leaves... lots of tracks and lots snow... really an epic ride other than the fact that my brother in laws chaincase blew on his new viper xtx.  Following lunch at red leaves, we headed south towards Sandfield and crossed under the bridge (not shooting the water) to get back on Lake joe.  Rode the lake to Bass, then headed back up to the top end of Lake Joe.  Long story short and to J-Fly and Blake G's question... Lake joe in my mind is perfectly good to go.   We did a tour to Haliburton last week staying at the pinestone, so didn't ride Muskoka last weekend.  But i can only assume that the lakes will be a little better as the snow should have packed down a little.  Hope that the above helps and enjoy reading the forums.

Is there gas available in Rosseau on weekends or through the week?

Archived