Sled through the ice on wing night?

schmied

Saw a bunch of activity around 7pm on the B109 at the Conestogo River crossing near Glen Allan.  Looked like someone tried the ice crossing and deep sixed their machine.  Big hole, not a bit of the sled was showing so I must be deep right there.  When we passed there were a couple of trucks on the road, sleds on the bank and a few guys on the ice (tethered with rope) probing with shovels. They gave us a wave and we moved on...a long cold night for those folks for sure.

Anyone know any more? They get the seld out? Hope it was an old beater that went down...

I know nobody likes to roadrash but that's a tough lesson to learn so save a few cents worth of carbide.

aqua-sled

Its a SeaDoo now!

It was at the bridge near macton? I have jumped the river before there and it can be deep. With the big banks now, only a fool would try it. Safer to take the road and there is still snow on it too.

It was at the bridge near macton? I have jumped the river before there and it can be deep. With the big banks now, only a fool would try it. Safer to take the road and there is still snow on it too.

Only a fool would try it, eh?

Only a fool would try it, eh?

Yup! Not abad crossing when there is less snow coverage. Last year it was all flooded on the flat beside the river bank and the road looked brutal too. I use to ride the grand got on near Bridgeport and would get off about 15 kms to the north. Several spots were open along that route, mostly little spots were the current flows. All fun as long as you don't go thru.

Just curious why you titled this "Sled through the ice on wing night?" What does "Wing night" have to do with a sled going through the ice?

Nothing really unless he had too muh too drink! Now someone will see the tracks and think it is a safe short cut!

Just curious why you titled this "Sled through the ice on wing night?" What does "Wing night" have to do with a sled going through the ice?

A few reasons.

1. It was wing night....not Halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years Eve, my moms birthday or Yom Kippur.

2. Since I'm looking for a little info, relating the incident to the very popular event might get someones attention. Spark a little curiosity. Same way headlines are written in newspapers.

3. Again....it happened on wing night.  No hidden message, no ulterior motive no lesson to be learned about the combination of hot wings and ice thickness.

Saw a bunch of activity around 7pm on the B109 at the Conestogo River crossing near Glen Allan.  Looked like someone tried the ice crossing and deep sixed their machine.  Big hole, not a bit of the sled was showing so I must be deep right there.  When we passed there were a couple of trucks on the road, sleds on the bank and a few guys on the ice (tethered with rope) probing with shovels. They gave us a wave and we moved on...a long cold night for those folks for sure.

Anyone know any more? They get the seld out? Hope it was an old beater that went down...

I know nobody likes to roadrash but that's a tough lesson to learn so save a few cents worth of carbide.

Road thu there Sat afternoon. Used bridge as always and did notice tracks crossing river right below bridge. Didn't see any indication someone broke thru there.

Nothing really unless he had too muh too drink! Now someone will see the tracks and think it is a safe short cut!

You assume way too much!

A few reasons.

1. It was wing night....not Halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years Eve, my moms birthday or Yom Kippur.

2. Since I'm looking for a little info, relating the incident to the very popular event might get someones attention. Spark a little curiosity. Same way headlines are written in newspapers.

3. Again....it happened on wing night.  No hidden message, no ulterior motive no lesson to be learned about the combination of hot wings and ice thickness.

These wings that caused the sled to go through the ice, we're they suicide wings or just made with red hot or something?

These wings that caused the sled to go through the ice, we're they suicide wings or just made with red hot or something?

Possibly Homocide wings?

Said the guy who previously spouted that he too used to cross the river there. PBIGBMIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can chickens swim ?

I don't think chicken wings on a sled would help it float .

Can chickens swim ?

I don't think chicken wings on a sled would help it float .

Depends how much the chicken weighs relative to it's wing span! Big chickens need to wear water wings to help them keep afloat!

Had your cereal again eh?

• 2 weeks later...

Glen Allan thats where the water skipping started back in the 80's.....last sled I crossed there with was a 1980 SS Yam.....The good old days.

• 11 months later...

Didn't know if I should reopen this but rode thru area yesterday and saw that area looked a little sketchy. I had been thru there a week ago and was all good.  Did they open the dam?   Just be carefull there.

Archived