Gravenhurst - Minden loop

WeBeSleddin

Would like to ride east from Gravenhurst to Minden and back. Can it be done in a day? Gas up in Gravenhurst and Minden?

D to 3 to B to b112 into Minden, b104 to b north to d and back to ghurst.

Anyone had any experience with this cool looking loop around the queen eliz wildlands provincial park?

Are the trails wide and fast (50km/hr) or tight and twisty (40 kms hr)?

With these conditions, thinking about new places to ride :)

Yes it can. Mostly decent trails as far as I know.

Would like to ride east from Gravenhurst to Minden and back. Can it be done in a day? Gas up in Gravenhurst and Minden?

D to 3 to B to b112 into Minden, b104 to b north to d and back to ghurst.

Anyone had any experience with this cool looking loop around the queen eliz wildlands provincial park?

Are the trails wide and fast (50km/hr) or tight and twisty (40 kms hr)?

With these conditions, thinking about new places to ride :)

No problem doing that run in the past in a day (less)  Nice run actually is the run back on the B104 to B to D.  That is one of my favourites.

I may try this loop actually. Thanks for the idea

The RAQE2 Loop... Ride Around the Queen Elizabeth II

WeBeSleddin, you might want to check Rockerdan's recent thread: Fridays ride to Minden,Haliburton- 2/7/2014

I think he mentioned that B112 into Minden was questionable. You can judge for yourself after seeing his posts.

I may try this loop actually. Thanks for the idea

The RAQE2 Loop... Ride Around the Queen Elizabeth II

Is anyone riding through the  Queen Elizabeth II on the old snowmobile trail, is there still a bridge at the end of 209 to cross the small river 

B112 south of Hwy 118 needs grooming. The MSR section of TOP B was fine.

Was also looking at the interactive guide, looks like you could ride the hydro corridor from the B trail just north of the black river east all the way across to Minden.

In the right conditions, that might be a blast, and a very direct route - gotta love hydro one corridors.

Anyone taken that backcountry route?

I heard that there used to be a trail that continued past Victoria falls, where did it go to?

The trail went across and split into 3 trails one to Norland, Gull lake and to the hydro corridor towards Minden.   

2006 was the last time I was through and it was not open then, most of it is like the Barrens not many trees 

That was a Snowcrest Trail from Black River through the Hydro corridor which met the Haliburton club about halfway.  Some of the signs are still out there.  All the way from here to the outskirts of Minden without crossing one road.  Beauty trail. 

This would be a good year to do it cross country. Maybe in March when the powder settles some more out there. 

That was a Snowcrest Trail from Black River through the Hydro corridor which met the Haliburton club about halfway.  Some of the signs are still out there.  All the way from here to the outskirts of Minden without crossing one road.  Beauty trail. 

This would be a good year to do it cross country. Maybe in March when the powder settles some more out there. 

Thanks for the info STG.  Too bad that the trail was closed, it would be nice to have a direct route east west through Muskoka, and as I said in my earlier post, I love the hydro line trails.   I guess the closest thing to that old old snowcrest trail along the hydro line east (that goes through a long run of wilderness) in the vicinity is the Hydro line B trail from north of haliburton to Whitney, which is an awesome trail to ride.  

Good to know that it is still possible to run in a good season - I love march conditions -  lots of hard packed base and warm weather!  Warm for us that like the cold that is.

Anyone have any old Snowcrest maps or Muskoka maps that show the old/lost trails.  I know that as sledding became more regional as opposed to local over the years, many of the club trails through Muskoka got shut down.  

I guess the closest thing to that old old snowcrest trail along the hydro line east (that goes through a long run of wilderness) in the vicinity is the Hydro line B trail from north of haliburton to Whitney, which is an awesome trail to ride.  

The other Hydro line trail we had was (old) Trail 5.  The Old Trail 5 did as it does today through Germania and into the swamp just north and west of Germania.  Out in the swamp you faced three options.  Turn off on a trail taking you to Skyline Motel/Gas/Restaurant, or; take what is the current Trail 5 up to 118, or; turn slightly south and west up on to the Hydro cut and follow it south from there eventually crossing Doe Lake Road just west of Harmony Corners and continuing south to intersect with current Trail 3 just east of Housey's Rapids Road.  B to Lewisham, up the Barkway Parkway, to Germania and down the Hydro Cut to 3 and back to Kahshe was a great loop for a lazy Sunday. 

I might try it with a few buddies in the next 2 weeks or so.

You can't get lost - those lines go all the way to Minden. Before Snowcrest and Haliburton collaborated to put the trail through, my wife and I left from the line crossing at Coopers Falls Road on an Elan & an Olympic 340 and went cross-country to pick up Haliburton's groomed trail just west of Minden. Gassed up in town (had to mix oil with the gas pump running - looked "close" to 50:1) and headed straight back.

You can't get lost - those lines go all the way to Minden. Before Snowcrest and Haliburton collaborated to put the trail through, my wife and I left from the line crossing at Coopers Falls Road on an Elan & an Olympic 340 and went cross-country to pick up Haliburton's groomed trail just west of Minden. Gassed up in town (had to mix oil with the gas pump running - looked "close" to 50:1) and headed straight back.

Perfect. I was just looking at the satellite images of the area and it looks very straight forward.

Thanks a ton for the very cool info STG, about all the old trails.

Never gone backcountry for that distance. Would like to give it a go mid march this year. Have a friend with a place in Minden, maybe we'll meet him half way.

Sure would be great if snowcrest and the Hali club could figure out how to reopen the hydro trail? I guess permission would be required by hydro one, and maybe the qe2 park folks too. No private land owners I think on the whole route, and if there are, hydro one already has an easement.

I know that a few years back the msr and Halliburton tried to make a more direct route from bracebridge to haliburton on the Peterson road, but didn't happen. A pin straight direct east west tie groomed by snowcrest would be AWESOME! As are all of snowcrest's trails. Would open up a whole new world of riding.

Maybe as The Ofsc's club of the millenium, some of the new federal funds could be accessed.

I think we need to figure out how to open new trails, not close them.

Thanks a ton for the very cool info STG, about all the old trails.

Never gone backcountry for that distance. Would like to give it a go mid march this year. Have a friend with a place in Minden, maybe we'll meet him half way.

Sure would be great if snowcrest and the Hali club could figure out how to reopen the hydro trail? I guess permission would be required by hydro one, and maybe the qe2 park folks too. No private land owners I think on the whole route, and if there are, hydro one already has an easement.

I know that a few years back the msr and Halliburton tried to make a more direct route from bracebridge to haliburton on the Peterson road, but didn't happen. A pin straight direct east west tie groomed by snowcrest would be AWESOME! As are all of snowcrest's trails. Would open up a whole new world of riding.

Maybe as The Ofsc's club of the millenium, some of the new federal funds could be accessed.

I think we need to figure out how to open new trails, not close them.

Kind of hard when current funding makes it hard to groom and keep the ones that we have

Kind of a thread hijack, are we talking about the area w/ all the "closed trails" shown on the HCSA map? Those trails have been like that for several seasons on their map, so why do the keep them on the map?

Kind of a thread hijack, are we talking about the area w/ all the "closed trails" shown on the HCSA map? Those trails have been like that for several seasons on their map, so why do the keep them on the map?

Hardly a highjack just looked at the hcsa map, and I'm pretty sure those are the closed trails at the end of orillia 209 at Victoria falls.

Any idea why the orillia trail which meets b at lewisham lane along the black river road to Victoria falls has been closed all season?

Archived