Hand signal for last sled

GrizzlyGriff

Isn't it a fact that almost everybody uses the dropped arm out to the side and down to indicate last sled in the group?  Why does the OFSC insist on ruling that the raised arm clenched fist signal is the way to go.  Just wondering out loud....

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't it a fact that almost everybody uses the dropped arm out to the side and down to indicate last sled in the group?  Why does the OFSC insist on ruling that the raised arm clenched fist signal is the way to go.  Just wondering out loud....

your right....save the other way for''fight the power'' i have seen the waving of the clenched fist a few time,not sure what that signals.maybe had i-tunes playin?

I've always used the dropped arm out to the side and down.  

Check out this one ...   http://www.msrsnowtrails.com/Safety/Hand-Signals-for-Snowmobiles/

In the the Muskokas, it's a chopping motion down and left.  So it's different from what we all commonly see and different from the governing body's recommendation. But they do go on to say:

"Thank you for accessing the Muskoka Snowmobile Region (M.S.R.) website. Although we strive to make the information helpful and accurate, we make no

representation or warranty of any kind regarding it. M.S.R. disclaims all liability of any kind whatsoever arising out of your use of, or inability to use, this information."

So they recognize the info is suspect.  ;-)

Here's the raised fist, linked from the Hillsburgh Snow Roamers, an Ontario club. 

hand_signals.gif

So ... I think I'm going to make up a few of my own hand signals and see what works best. I'm going to test them on all the oncoming riders I meet as I run my epic Great Lakes trip. 

nothing to get upset about, as long as they give some signal. obviously you know what both mean. i have used the clenched fist since day one (30+ years). get ready to get a lecture by the internet saftey police, about removing any hand, for any reason, while riding a snowmobile.

the pic above shows the clenched fist. just showing it's not raised is the difference.  i just stick my hand out so it is visable and number the sled behind, and clenched in a fist for i am last in my group.

the signals are loosely based on motorcycle signals except in reverse for stopping, which i dont understand other than a snowdust situation where a dropped arm would not be seen by the following sled.

personally, our ENTIRE GROUP uses communicators, so the stop is heard if not seen.  Ski

Originally they started with the downward arm at the side making a motion back and forth and for some reason changed to the clenched raised fist. I see more of the downward arm than the clenched fist but recognize both as last sled. It is time for the OFSC to recognize both hand signs.

As far as any hand sign goes, if it is safe to do so then a hand signal should be given. If in a situation where you require both hands, your own safety comes before any hand signal.

Originally they started with the downward arm at the side making a motion back and forth and for some reason changed to the clenched raised fist. I see more of the downward arm than the clenched fist but recognize both as last sled. It is time for the OFSC to recognize both hand signs.

As far as any hand sign goes, if it is safe to do so then a hand signal should be given. If in a situation where you require both hands, your own safety comes before any hand signal.

Very true on all points here.

We always use the hand down signal. Always will probably.

your right....save the other way for''fight the power'' i have seen the waving of the clenched fist a few time,not sure what that signals.maybe had i-tunes playin?

LOL

post-19781-0-89301600-1390766819_thumb.jpg

I think initially the US riders used the clenched fist while Canadian sledders used the slashing movement (we always did). At some point along the way, a decision was made to eliminate the slashing signal. I see a mix of the signals. the few times I'm tailend charlie I'll use the slashing motion, but normally I'm leading.

LOL

attachicon.gif800px-Rage_Against_The_Machine.jpg

I think initially the US riders used the clenched fist while Canadian sledders used the slashing movement (we always did). At some point along the way, a decision was made to eliminate the slashing signal. I see a mix of the signals. the few times I'm tailend charlie I'll use the slashing motion, but normally I'm leading.

Yes it was a decision by the associations on both sides of the border to change to the new hand movement.

My wife and I usually ride together so I always signal 'one' as I meet oncoming sleds. The other day I went for a quick rip, I met two sleds and out of habit, I signaled 'one' sled following me. I laughed after, they were probably wondering what happened to my riding budy!!

A couple of weeks ago I meet 2 sleds & the 2nd guy puts his hand up & he's showing 4 or 5 digits. I ride along careful because of the speed they were going & the trail is a bit twisty. We go for a couple of minutes & there's a guy doing a 3 point turn. I follow him for 2 or 3 more minutes when we come to 3 sledders looking @ a sled stuffed into the snow on a corner. No damage or injuries so we continued on.

I wonder how far the 1st 2 riders got before they realized the rest of the group wasn't following?

I find the hand low sign much more beneficial. That is where your eyes are naturally, anticipating the sledders intention and the trail changes ahead, 

Agreed. Plus the last sledder with his arm down is easily differentiated, at a glance, from a line of sledders each with an arm up.

When riding home from town on Saturday, my group caught up to a slower group ahead. The last sled ( the one in front of me) was using the last sled in line signal and when oncoming sleds passed up, they looked confused. One guy put both hands in the air and was shaking his head.... lol

the signals are loosely based on motorcycle signals except in reverse for stopping, which i dont understand other than a snowdust situation where a dropped arm would not be seen by the following sled.

The STOP signal MUST be made with the right hand, thus you can not be applying throttle, and your left hand is available for braking, on the left handlebar, where it should be when stopping ....  try THAT with your right hand .... lol !

Easy on a four stroke.  The engine braking can be too much if you just take your hand off the throttle.  You need to use some signal, though.

After some nagging from Moosifer when I first got the 4 stroke, I started flashing the brake light when I let off the throttle for a curve.  He couldn't tell I was slowing down until he was on top of me.

As for the last sled signal, I find the closed fist near the body can be hard to see against the rider's body.  I am not looking that closely at the oncoming rider.  More important things to concentrate on!

If you require both hands, maybe you are going to fast for the conditions   :icon_steer:

:umno: :umno: There are many times that BOTH hands are required on the bars that have nothing to do with speed.

That is what I see almost all the time, the hand down and that is what we use.  I also like the indication of how many sleds behind, a proper use of fingers.

:umno: :umno: There are many times that BOTH hands are required on the bars that have nothing to do with speed.

X2. Please keep both hands on the bars while out riding! I have almost gotten hit numerous times when people point behind them to indicate another sled in the line. But end up wandering past the centre of the trail. All it takes if you hit a bump or dip with one hand on the bar, something bad could happen.

If you require both hands, maybe you are going to fast for the conditions   :icon_steer:

Agreed!  :icon_goodpost:

I had the pleasure of meeting SledJunk on Saturday, and now I have an idea of why he's called SledJunk. LOL

Easy on a four stroke.  The engine braking can be too much if you just take your hand off the throttle.  You need to use some signal, though.

After some nagging from Moosifer when I first got the 4 stroke, I started flashing the brake light when I let off the throttle for a curve.  He couldn't tell I was slowing down until he was on top of me.

As for the last sled signal, I find the closed fist near the body can be hard to see against the rider's body.  I am not looking that closely at the oncoming rider.  More important things to concentrate on!

Hey Sledjunk, great point about flashing the brake light with an Apex.  The fastest guy in our group gets on my ass if I'm leading and I can hear everything he does.  He has a modified AC Turbo and I can hear his engine behind me. I can hear him squeeze his thumb coming out of turns.  I think its in my best interest to flash my light when I let off the trottle.  Can't believe I didn't think of it. :bowdown:

Always expect an oncoming sled

when I ride alone I use the slash most times out of habit though but who knows who is behind me, I could careless and not my problem

Archived