bala lack of gas

white dragon

if you go to bala,the old gas stop is closed.now a marina is the only game in town,we were there sat aft & he was out of gas...said truck coming within half a hr...pick-up truck with jerry can showed up...do not depend on gettin gas in bala...did have nice coffee & cakes while we waited

Now that sucks!!  What happened there?

Damn!  Glad you posted this. We were planning a trip from Gravenhurst through Bala to MacTier and back in a week.

We interrupt this thread to mention that if the current town council and mayor of Bala (within Muskoka Lakes or whatever it is called) was more receptive to new ideas such as a nice, clean, ecologically friendly hydro generating plant that would create JOBS in the community, businesses would have a reason to stay open.

I am assuming you went to the gas pumps at the general store across from the arena to find it closed? Been for sale for a while now.

I am assuming you went to the gas pumps at the general store across from the arena to find it closed? Been for sale for a while now.

yes,said they were suppose to be taken off ofsc map.marina across from TD bank is open,owner told me gas co won't do a small delivery because they are out of the way

My guess would be there's Gravenhurst CTC gas bar, Campbell's Landing, and Glen Orchard General Store, with nothing in between....

ooops, I was writing while WD posted. Good to know about the marina across from the TD.

Thanks for that info. We'll figure something out

There is lots of gas in the Dwight area after the chilli cook off on Saturday....

Glen Orchard is the closest spot around Bala to get gas!!

There is lots of gas in the Dwight area after the chilli cook off on Saturday....

How do YOU spell Re:Lief?

:-)

Someone said 4 strokers don't stink!

We were at the café/marina in Bala yesterday (Sunday)....around 1pm and they had gas.  Spoke to the owner, he said the "town" asked him to open this winter since there is no other gas station in Bala.  This is the first year they have stayed open and he mentioned it is not worthwhile to remain open if they only sell gas....not enough profit in it.  Sounds like they will not open next year if food sales etc do not pick up.  He did mention most people go to the pub in town to get food so he is not hopeful.

Since this is a conditions forum....road from Penetang on Friday across the staked line to Honey Harbour, then onto SIx mile, B105, 17, 10 and C105d.....all in good condition on Friday.

Saturday was Gravenhurst, Kashe lake, sparrow lake, 15, 4 etc.  A little beat up but good for a weekend trip.

Sunday the trails were mint.....c105d, to Bala then C to Six mile and back to Penetang.  Tons of snow on the Bay Sunday....hard to get around the Honey Harbour area if you were not in someone's tracks....must be almost 2 feet of powder on the bay.....comes up over the windshield.

Hi Kenny. Thanks for the update.

Was there with White Dragon on saturday. Definatly sucks. Love the guys comment when he said the gas trucks on it's way! Then a pick-up shows up with jerry cans. Yikes!. I opted out of topping up along with Sled Junk and we pushed it on through to Severn Falls..

We were at the café/marina in Bala yesterday (Sunday)....around 1pm and they had gas.  Spoke to the owner, he said the "town" asked him to open this winter since there is no other gas station in Bala.  This is the first year they have stayed open and he mentioned it is not worthwhile to remain open if they only sell gas....not enough profit in it.  Sounds like they will not open next year if food sales etc do not pick up.  He did mention most people go to the pub in town to get food so he is not hopeful.

Since this is a conditions forum....road from Penetang on Friday across the staked line to Honey Harbour, then onto SIx mile, B105, 17, 10 and C105d.....all in good condition on Friday.

Saturday was Gravenhurst, Kashe lake, sparrow lake, 15, 4 etc.  A little beat up but good for a weekend trip.

Sunday the trails were mint.....c105d, to Bala then C to Six mile and back to Penetang.  Tons of snow on the Bay Sunday....hard to get around the Honey Harbour area if you were not in someone's tracks....must be almost 2 feet of powder on the bay.....comes up over the windshield.

I guess part of the problem for the Marina is that nobody seems to know he is there and that he has food. Everyone is likely so used to just going to the Bala Fall Pub since it has been the only option for a very long time. We are planning on going to Bala on Saturday and didn't envy the idea of the pub being the only option. What kind of food do they have at the marina. None of our group has a need for alcohol when riding so we don't need to go to the pub.

He mentioned they do not have a deep fryer (thus most people go to the pub).  They have pastries, sandwiches, wraps etc....more of a healthy menu.  Part of the café is also an art gallery....he has an area where they do the framing and the tables are dispersed around the gallery.  Looked liked a neat place and it is right off the end of the trail, just under the bridge to the right across from the TD bank.  Perhaps if enough people eat there and say they want to help support keeping it open for gas they will try it again next year????

Thanks for the info.

Will make a point of visiting the marina this winter.

I guess part of the problem for the Marina is that nobody seems to know he is there and that he has food. Everyone is likely so used to just going to the Bala Fall Pub since it has been the only option for a very long time. We are planning on going to Bala on Saturday and didn't envy the idea of the pub being the only option. What kind of food do they have at the marina. None of our group has a need for alcohol when riding so we don't need to go to the pub.

Just desert type stuff, and coffee, tea, pop etc. Not really any option for a meal from what i could see on saturday. Maybe WD or Sledjunk noticed more, but thats all i seen when we were there..

Didn't notice a menu, but I really wasn't looking.

Archived