red viper riding alone,,,,, stay clear!!

cehyoopers

So the next question.... where does it stop? When do the manufacturers decide enough HP is enough and enough speed is enough and simply focus on more efficient hardware?

It will never will my friend, as long as there is customers writing cheques for them the pissing contest will continue as it always has...it's always been the case of having the biggest and baddest and fastest for that select few, As long as they are safe on the trails and don't endanger anyone on the trails I couldn't care less what they do to themselves on the lakes..I remember way back in the 1990's I always wanted a Indy 650 so I bought one and very soon realized the XLT was a ton more fun on the trails and 20yrs later I still play in that class of sled..At this point in my life I have no desire to go way past 100mph and kill myself being reckless..

Just my two pennies worth while I sit here at work waiting for my 4 day long weekend to start Thursday

Nunz

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will never will my friend, as long as there is customers writing cheques for them the pissing contest will continue as it always has...it's always been the case of having the biggest and baddest and fastest for that select few, As long as they are safe on the trails and don't endanger anyone on the trails I couldn't care less what they do to themselves on the lakes..I remember way back in the 1990's I always wanted a Indy 650 so I bought one and very soon realized the XLT was a ton more fun on the trails and 20yrs later I still play in that class of sled..At this point in my life I have no desire to go way past 100mph and kill myself being reckless..

Just my two pennies worth while I sit here at work waiting for my 4 day long weekend to start Thursday

Nunz

4 day long weekend coming and significant snow forecast for Saturday.... I'm jealous... happy sledding. Where are you going? Almost everywhere has an abundance of snow and table top trails.

4 day long weekend coming and significant snow forecast for Saturday.... I'm jealous... happy sledding. Where are you going? Almost everywhere has an abundance of snow and table top trails.

Thanks Bud,  My wife picks up her Adventure Thursday am and going to spend the day getting her used to it around Muskoka, We are going to base out of the Gravenhurst area this weekend, meeting up with Blake and Ian riding with them Friday, thinking of heading towards Bala on Saturday then back towards Huntsville on Sunday in time for the Superbowl...have been looking forward to this weekend for a while now... hopefully see you on the trails this weekend,

Nunz..

We stop at the forest to get warmed up and as we are leaving, I have my helmut on and this guy in a sled suit, no helmut says," did you guys just come from Whitney, I say yes, he says I was on the red viper and you almost hit me. Well I was like a deer in the headlights now. I asked him if he had his head up is ass. He says you even wiggled a bit to the right as I when pass you. I said that was my ski going over the berm on the right side of the trial. He then says, all 3 of you were on the wrong side of the trail. I am like WTF is this guy smoking???

THIS GUY IS DANGEROUS AND SOMEOME IS GOING TO GET HURT,,, please if you know him talk to him, if you see him talk to him,

Just goes to show you - there's no cure for "stupid"

Really new sleds are just carching up 1993/4 arctic cat thundercat 163hp had zero suspension or aerodynamics thi g could near fly vmax4 not much differemt. Everyone got on twins for weight and handling

I remember when the big sled was a 440 then the centurian 500 triple appeared did a legit 100mph for the rich folks

Why are we talking about the big big sleds it was a viper not one of the big ones. 

Viper = 1049 cc, where does 'big' start? LOL

viper is considered in the 600 class,,, check out the I-500 race in Michigan, time trials are all this week!! Our local team from Strongs are on the pole with their 2014 Viper!!!

a good 600 two stroke will eat it alive

I'm certainly no expert and of course it depends where you read and who you believe but I've heard guys with Nytros say they've never had any problems beating 600s and the Vipers should be in the same class, no? 

I'm certainly no expert and of course it depends where you read and who you believe but I've heard guys with Nytros say they've never had any problems beating 600s and the Vipers should be in the same class, no? 

at the radar runs the nytros are always by several 600 class sleds

Why are we talking about the big big sleds it was a viper not one of the big ones. 

The wind just kind of blew us this way...

Bill with minor work that viper motor will haul the mail, it is no small feet nailing the pole at the I-500 and I for one will give credit where credit is do. They always had a good motor at the Soo but the Chassis was old heavy and out dated. Bang there on the pole, no surprise here. Plus it is a Yamaha pace sled this year, to my knowledge they have never won this race, and AC has only 1 win in 45 yrs. The yr the T-cat came out was when they limited the sleds to 600cc, up until then there were 700 and 750's running it, it is truly a test of man and machine on conditions much they same as we ride on. They start off on pure ice and as the day goes on and they plough the track dirt will start to show, and then moguls, it is not pretty when the race ends but it is an amazing site as the last 20 or sleds survive to finish. This has always been Polaris's race, they are tough here but have been knocked off time to time, the factory will have a strong presence as there is victory with numbers. Cat has always come close, mostly local boys, the factory came in 1996 with captain Kirk and Brian S and race director Joey H, they were tough, they finished 8th one behind us and they really never came back. It is the toughest track and race in the history of the sport and if you ever get a chance to see it, take it. There has been talk the last 15 or 20 yrs of it being not run, it is on the most valued land in Soo Michigan, but it survives just like our sport will. I can smell the c-12 and 16 already,,,,,

a good 600 two stroke will eat it alive

This was posted on HCS Dec.13. I'm not sure if it was Amsnow or the Old Forge Shootout. The Viper seemed to hold it's own.

120 hp class 

zr 6000 

13.1@89 MPH 

12.9@94 MPH 

indy 600 

13.1@92 

12.9@95 

600 e-tec 

13.6@90 

13.7@88 

130 hp class 

XF 7000 SP 

13.4@89 

13.3@90 

Doo 1200 

13.8@92 

13.9@95 

Viper 

12.5@92 

12.7@92 

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/401-general-discussion-forum/928889-stock-out-box-results-shootout.html

Heading your way this coming Sunday wannago ... Keep your eye out for 2 1200 X's with a couple Polaris Adventures (?) in tow ....  Hopefully not literally.  ;-)

Sadly we won't be up north this weekend :-( Have fun!

This was posted on HCS Dec.13. I'm not sure if it was Amsnow or the Old Forge Shootout. The Viper seemed to hold it's own.

120 hp class 

zr 6000 

13.1@89 MPH 

12.9@94 MPH 

indy 600 

13.1@92 

12.9@95 

600 e-tec 

13.6@90 

13.7@88 

130 hp class 

XF 7000 SP 

13.4@89 

13.3@90 

Doo 1200 

13.8@92 

13.9@95 

Viper 

12.5@92 

12.7@92 

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/401-general-discussion-forum/928889-stock-out-box-results-shootout.html

Looks like Indy 600 and Doo 1200 are at the top!  NO :coffeenose:

Looks like Indy 600 and Doo 1200 are at the top!  NO :coffeenose:

Viper 

12.5@92 

12.7@92

The 12.5 is the number of seconds it took to reach the end. 92 is the mph it reached at the end. The Indy 600 & the Doo reached a higher top speed but the Viper beat them to the line.

120 hp class 

zr 6000 

13.1@89 MPH 

12.9@94 MPH 

indy 600 

13.1@92 

12.9@95 

600 e-tec 

13.6@90 

13.7@88 

130 hp class 

XF 7000 SP 

13.4@89 

13.3@90 

Doo 1200 

13.8@92 

13.9@95 

Viper 

12.5@92 

12.7@92 

Very close lets see what happens in the club level shootouts

Viper 

12.5@92 

12.7@92

The 12.5 is the number of seconds it took to reach the end. 92 is the mph it reached at the end. The Indy 600 & the Doo reached a higher top speed but the Viper beat them to the line.

Sooooooooo quicker reaction time maybe.  Hmmmmmmmmmm interesting.  12.9 and 13.1 are pretty darn close.  Still say Bill could be right .

Agreed 600 class. That motor pulls hard off the line. And once again who hooked up quicker. Had two Nytro's, they are quick to 157k

Just for your info, I like to go up to the Bruce Mines area (40 miles east of the Sault).  We will put on 400 to 500 miles in 3 or four days of easy riding always looping back to the camp.  Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  we usually count 11 to 15 sleds...for the whole four days!  That is why I buy my permit from up there too - the economics are very boarder-line for the area but good trails and almost nobody on them.  Also, there are very few Hot sleds - cause nobody can afford them.

Now the secret is out I hope I have not ruined it by letting the cat out of the bag but I tell you it is worth the trip.

Just for your info, I like to go up to the Bruce Mines area (40 miles east of the Sault).  We will put on 400 to 500 miles in 3 or four days of easy riding always looping back to the camp.  Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  we usually count 11 to 15 sleds...for the whole four days!  That is why I buy my permit from up there too - the economics are very boarder-line for the area but good trails and almost nobody on them.  Also, there are very few Hot sleds - cause nobody can afford them.

Now the secret is out I hope I have not ruined it by letting the cat out of the bag but I tell you it is worth the trip.

Too far damn it.  But, I have ridden your area a few times over the years.  They were awesome trails.  If it was closer believe me we would be there.  Who knows might just be time for a rode trip in February.  By sled that is.  Haven't done a 1400 mile tour in a few years.  We use to do at least one large trip like that every year in the mid to late 90's.  They were always awesome.  This year might be the year with the conditions everywhere being so great.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm :icon_munching:  :icon_steer:

Archived