F trail shows limited

zrtkat

F trail shows limited from Chapleau almost all the way to elliot lake , 

looking good for ZRTKATS snowmobile trip  :icon_photo: in February thats the only section we need to make our loop .

zrtkat

When u going bud? We r going to be out that way around the 16th

When u going bud? We r going to be out that way around the 16th

NUNZ

we are leaving from the soo on February 5 on our saddlebag trip we should be finishing up our trip when u start

will be giving trail reports as we go

zrtkat

Kat, we will probably pass each other on the road somewhere on the 4th, if you guys are driving up that day. we will be headed home that day. we have chez gaston rented friday through monday night. here's hoping for safe travels and a good trip for all. Ski

Ski

have a great long weekend riding is this your first trip up riding this winter ????? will be watching for your reports

have a great trip will keep a eye opened for you on our way up 

zrtkat  ( red chevy silverado charchoal enclosed trailer)

yep, first "real" trip we rode around the house on the big storm day, and we went to saginaw bay walleye fishing a couple days. but, other than that, no play days. our rig is a white gmc sierra (says it accross the top of the windshield), white legend trailer. Ski

checked today on the ofcs trail viewer showing red on F trail anyone know whats going on ??????

need this trail to complete our trip on our way back 2nd week of february

I had the same thought about 5 minutes ago, just tried calling the Chapleau club and looked at the FB page, starting to get a little concerned as well. I saw on a post a week or so ago there was a problem with a beaver dam but havent heard anything since..

Showed red checked again and it was the same just the one section showing red we should be OK

look at ac/ya's post from 2 days ago... http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12254-aubrey-falls-to-chapleau/#entry150664

there is a beaver dam and water on the trail or washout issue south of flame lake. everyone in the know is trying to reroute the trail and make it passible. best bet is to call the chapleau club, flame lake lodge, or black creek outfitters and talk to an actual person who can give you direct answers. here's to hoping this doesnt mess your plan up. Ski

The groomer had to jump out to the road to get to Flame Lake from Black Creek, but it was just south of Flame Lake per what I was told.  They were planning on working out a fix this week, but they spent two long days getting up to Flame Lake because this groomer now operates out of Black Creek Outfitters and they needed Gary from flame Lake to guide them up through the F Trail.  They volunteered to put in the work and groom in all three directions from Black Creek which really shortened the runs from Searchmont, Chapleau, Echo Bay, and Elliot Lake.

The groomer blew a hose just as it made it back to Black Creek last week, so not sure if it has been repaired yet.  This may be the bigger issue right now.

Scott

The groomer from Elliot Lake went up to Black Creek on Sunday and returned Monday. The groomer at Black Creek had a blown hose just as it got back to Black Creek. So the trail from Flame has had 1 pass each way with just a packer bar. As soon as the groomer is up and running it is suppose to take the drag and head back north. The groomer from Echo Bay is back up and running and is going to go up to Black Creek, perhaps today. It is legal to drive the shoulder of hwy. 129 so getting around the beaver dam problem isn't too much of an ordeal. Call Gary at Flame Lake and he can fill you in. 

Elliott groomer thanks for the update

The groomer from Elliot Lake went up to Black Creek on Sunday and returned Monday. The groomer at Black Creek had a blown hose just as it got back to Black Creek. So the trail from Flame has had 1 pass each way with just a packer bar. As soon as the groomer is up and running it is suppose to take the drag and head back north. The groomer from Echo Bay is back up and running and is going to go up to Black Creek, perhaps today. It is legal to drive the shoulder of hwy. 129 so getting around the beaver dam problem isn't too much of an ordeal. Call Gary at Flame Lake and he can fill you in. 

Hi Elliotgroomer,

That was what I tried to say..........

Here is a picture of your F trail nearer Black Creek prior to you grooming this week.

Glad to hear you got the F Trail done again.

Thanks for the post.

Scott

IMG_2165_zps787493dc.jpg

how far on the shoulder of 129 do you have to run to avoid the water issue? might be an issue if there is no fresh snow, that is a paved road.

Kat, if all goes well, we will be leaving our trailer in wawa so if you were to be looking for us, it will just be the truck. three sleeps and a wake up and we are on the way north. Ski

how far on the shoulder of 129 do you have to run to avoid the water issue? might be an issue if there is no fresh snow, that is a paved road.

Kat, if all goes well, we will be leaving our trailer in wawa so if you were to be looking for us, it will just be the truck. three sleeps and a wake up and we are on the way north. Ski

Ski

have a great ride this weekend we will be looking for u on the way up

I emailed the Chapleau snowmobile club this morning about the F trail and here was her fast reponce

Hi Greg..

My husband left this am at 4 to make another grooming pass to Flame Lake...he will get picked up tonight and tomorrow go back down to Flame Lake with the brushing machine. There are 3 problem water crossings from Flame Lake to Black Creek/Aubrey Falls the guys are going to inspect and see what they can do on Sat. assuming they can fix it then grooming will continue in that section! 

Also don't know if you have heard about the new gas regulations they are killing Outfitters so only Black Creek will have gas. How far can you make it for gas? Just something to consider we have to tell you...

Greg,

I am sure you can make it on gas from Chapleau to Black Creek, but you do carry a gallon or so extra on all the sleds, right?  Your gauge will probably make you feel uncomfortable as it reads low way early, but by that part of the trip you will have experience with your sled and know what is actually left in your tank when it reads low fuel.

I plan to ride up to Flame Lake this Saturday, so I will get word to you by the time you get to Blueberry.  I am pretty sure the trail will be a go. If not, I will tell you what I did to get around the bad spot.  Two of the three wet spots were frozen back over by the time the groomer returned south from Flame Lake and should not be a problem.  The snow was probably insulating it and after the groomer went through and broke the ice, it froze much better.

I decided to go down to Drumond Island Friday and run the ice bridge before running back up to Flame Lake on Saturday.  This is a picture from Black Creek a few weeks ago.

I will let you know.

Scott

IMG_2158_zps8b597fa8.jpg

Scott sounds good will be waiting to hear from you have a great time riding this weekend

Greg

Just for info, the Sault Ste Marie trailblazers club posts every day on there website that fuel in this Algoma region is NOT available at Searchmont, Heyden and Flame Lake Lodge please consider this in your route planning as there are many miles between gas stops without cell phone coverage

scott, is your daughter feeling better, or are you flyin solo this weekend? Ski

Hi Dan,

The trailblazers have a ride to Black Creek this weekend, so I am hoping the Whitman Dam Road is groomed again.  The closest gas coming from the Soo is at the Goulais River Store which is 105 miles from Black Creek unless the Ranger Lake Road is good and then you are 85 miles to gas. Some of the older sleds may not do it and should carry some gas, but many new sleds have no problem.

I had a 1973 Skiroule RTX 447 with 40 hp.  Way ahead of the rest for it's time.  Once I added ducting for cooling, it was a great sled.  Noticed you had a Skiroule too.      

Hi ski,

Paige still sounds rough, but says she is good to ride.  These days it might be real lonely on the trails I like to ride and won't go by myself.  I know where you like to go, nobody is going to come along.

Have a great weekend.  We are not going to push it.  Drive up to Blueberry tomorrow.  Friday, Goulais River to Bruce Mines for gas and then over to Drumond Island and rest up.  Next day up to Black Creek for lunch and gas.  Then up to Flame Lake and see if we can stay the night.  Sunday back to Black Creek and then Blueberry and drive home.

Say hi to everyone in Dub for us.

Scott

doesnt sound much like relaxin :D hope you guys have a safe trip. Ski

It would seem that some pre-season scouting would have discovered a new beaver dam in the trail eh?

Archived