ATV's to be allowed on Gravenhurst Roads.

Blake G

http://www.muskokaregion.com/news-story/4328938-atvs-now-permitted-on-town-roads/

ATV's to be allowed on Gravenhurst roads. Not on walking trails.

Hopefully we can work with this for the benefit of all concerned.

They've been allowed on Hali roads for a long time now. ATV club did a lot of work on one of the shared trails last year(B112 from rail trail towards Minden). It's working well over here in Hali. Wish the news article wouldn't have shown them on what looks like a trail with snow though.

Wish the news article wouldn't have shown them on what looks like a trail with snow though.

Darn ! I didn't even even notice that.

http://www.muskokaregion.com/news-story/4328938-atvs-now-permitted-on-town-roads/

ATV's to be allowed on Gravenhurst roads. Not on walking trails.

Hopefully we can work with this for the benefit of all concerned.

It's been a long process but I think that the right decision, finally, was reached.  Even though I would like to have seen broader parameters, I'm happy that this is a good first step.  Based on what is happening in other parts of the province this should be beneficial to the economy of the Town.  Anything we can do to help small business owners in Town has to be a good thing.

I'm sure that Snowcrest will be able to benefit by a partnership with a local ATV group as well; on crown trails and specifically approved landowner trails we can share labour resources, capital costs, and monetary resources to improve our network !  Using other, already established, Snowmobile/ATV groups as a metric, it looks like it can be a win/win for both.  whoopee !

It's been a long process but I think that the right decision, finally, was reached.  Even though I would like to have seen broader parameters, I'm happy that this is a good first step.  Based on what is happening in other parts of the province this should be beneficial to the economy of the Town.  Anything we can do to help small business owners in Town has to be a good thing.

I'm sure that Snowcrest will be able to benefit by a partnership with a local ATV group as well; on crown trails and specifically approved landowner trails we can share labour resources, capital costs, and monetary resources to improve our network !  Using other, already established, Snowmobile/ATV groups as a metric, it looks like it can be a win/win for both.  whoopee !

Snowcrest Riders invited a rep involved with Ontario Cycling Association to present at our last Board meeting. There are 31 clubs with the OCA in the Province with resources, funding, and volunteers available. Snowcrest is supportive of further discussions with the possibility of partnering with this organization. This may also be a win/win for everyone. 

They've been allowed on Hali roads for a long time now. ATV club did a lot of work on one of the shared trails last year(B112 from rail trail towards Minden). It's working well over here in Hali. Wish the news article wouldn't have shown them on what looks like a trail with snow though.

We have an excellent partnership with the ATV club in Port Severn/Honey Harbour. They have done a lot of work on some of our common trails and made contributions to our building fund. It's far better to work with them than not.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent! It will be nice to see a map of where and where we are not allowed to take the "summer sleds".

Thanks to Kyla Scott Bruce, Town Trails Technician and Snowcrest supporter:

The new ATV Bylaw is posted on the Town's website, and includes a map of where you cannot drive.

https://icreate5.esolutionsgroup.ca/230886_Gravenhurst/en/yourtownhall/resources/ATV_By-law.pdf

Thanks to Kyla Scott Bruce, Town Trails Technician and Snowcrest supporter:

The new ATV Bylaw is posted on the Town's website, and includes a map of where you cannot drive.

https://icreate5.esolutionsgroup.ca/230886_Gravenhurst/en/yourtownhall/resources/ATV_By-law.pdf

Kyla has to be one of the most business/realworld oriented members of the Town staff I've dealt with.  Intelligent, with-it, and strives to do the best thing.  Every Town could use a dozen Kyla's !! 

Kyla has to be one of the most business/realworld oriented members of the Town staff I've dealt with.  Intelligent, with-it, and strives to do the best thing.  Every Town could use a dozen Kyla's !! 

Definitely!

When I did some Projects with her that involved the club, She wasn't afraid to walk in the bush in 3ft of snow or Get muddy and soaked from rain when when we were building the Beaver Creek Bridge.

Thank you for the link on ATV driving. Essentially, anywhere but "in town". I can live with that!

• 8 months later...

The short answer is "no". You are not allowed to run the urban part of town, between the wharf and Bethune Drive, for example.

I don't know which "trails" are permitted, but as far as I know, atv's are not allowed, even in the summer, on the pipeline trail that becomes OFSC Trail D between Gravenhurst and Bracebridge in the snowmobile season.

I "do" think you would be allowed to run from the north part of Bethune and up Winhara Road. See post 10, above, for a link to the bylaws and map.

Did they ever get the District of Muskoka to allow ATV use on District road within Gravenhurst?

Did they ever get the District of Muskoka to allow ATV use on District road within Gravenhurst?

Yes, with some exceptions.   But, specifically where you are, you are ok for example from Summerland to the L.    Interestingly, not your Argo until the Province refines ORV permissions.   Just to make it interesting, an ATV is not permitted in the area between the 1st km hunt camp and your turn but an Argo is not excuded.  Another provincial body is exercising their jurisdictional muscle on that section. 

So...............to get to SGS, use an Argo from your place through the bush to the L and out to the hunt camp.  At that point, switch to an ATV for use on the main road. 

Further discussion is available in break-out groups during Saturday's AttidudeAdjustmentHour.  White boards and flip charts will be made available.  Presentations are restricted to 15 minutes.  

Yes, with some exceptions.   But, specifically where you are, you are ok for example from Summerland to the L.    Interestingly, not your Argo until the Province refines ORV permissions.   Just to make it interesting, an ATV is not permitted in the area between the 1st km hunt camp and your turn but an Argo is not excuded.  Another provincial body is exercising their jurisdictional muscle on that section. 

So...............to get to SGS, use an Argo from your place through the bush to the L and out to the hunt camp.  At that point, switch to an ATV for use on the main road. 

Further discussion is available in break-out groups during Saturday's AttidudeAdjustmentHour.  White boards and flip charts will be made available.  Presentations are restricted to 15 minutes.  

Shall we play GIN?

I'll sent out the email to see who needs a ride on the Snow Covered watercraft :) 

Argos are slow enough to be slow moving vehicles

Argos are slow enough to be slow moving vehicles

And that helps how??  Classified as farm/Tractor etc?  Just need a slow moving vehicle sign? 

I have a slow moving implement of animal husbandry sign and it should work most of the time.

However, should the officer in question be of a certain personality, he would demand to see what I was engaged in - ie, delivering hay or chickens or sheep and if I was simply out for a ride, might be subject to a fine.

I have a slow moving implement of animal husbandry sign and it should work most of the time.

However, should the officer in question be of a certain personality, he would demand to see what I was engaged in - ie, delivering hay or chickens or sheep and if I was simply out for a ride, might be subject to a fine.

You have been known to be involved in acts of animal husbandry

throw a bale of hay in the back.... you're on your way to feed the herd.

Archived