Huntsville area conditions

craigofudd

Sorry i did not report back last night, was pretty worn out!  lol

Yesterday(Sat) we ran down mary lake to port(I think I already mentioned mary lake was staked friday)...down thru to baysville, and it was rough as hell!  I have never seen so many sledders out on one trail!   Many sleds pulled off to side taking breaks as the trail was rough!  We pounded our way thru there to the esso in baysville, i was soaked with sweat from that trail.

After fueling up with 50 other sleds(gas was jammed!) we headed across the bridge, and noticed we now ride on the RIGHT side of the bridge sidewalk(opposite from any other season) which IMO is rather bad cause now we need to cross the road twice as the trail is on opposite side!  Not sure that makes much sense.  Saw that restaurant near the bridge on the river must have had another 50 or so sleds infront!    We headed down the "superhighway" and the bumpy previous trail was a distant memory, as the superhighway(d102b) was mint mint mint!  and anyone who has run this old logging rd knows its a fun fast wide trail with sweeping corners, a dream!  

we were alittle short on time so we took a left on 45 to cut us across to 101b and back up into the bottom end of dorset, entire way was mint!  Not bad for a sat afternoon!

We pulled in to the trading bay dining room and saw upwards of 50-60 sleds in the entire parking lot, and even parked both sides of the rd....wow what a a sight!  Had some food(the chicken club WRAP is GOOD!!) and were back on the sleds within an hour, they were pumping out the food fast!

Ran back up LOB and took a left just after turners island running straight across between bigwin and port cunnington marina, directly straight in between fairview and crown islands....and that is where we have a shortcut up onto south portage rd, and up a small trail we use that puts us on to d102b right at the sharp corner of d102b.  a simply awesome way to get back to HGR from dorset QUICKLY!  All in all a great day...

Dan

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got back from my ride today(sunday) which was truly one for the books!   

It was to be a short easy day just hopping over to dwight for some lunch and back....but it turned out to be quite an adventure.

Ran out of our place on HGR 52, to 51 to d102b.  All mint and flat, perfect and did not see anyone else on trails and it was lightly snowing with a nice feshly groomed base.  Got to Brittania rd and across, rode over the new culvert(yellow on guide still) and it was better then friday, had alittle snow on it and groomer had gone across helping things...then after culvert it was UNBELIEVABLE HGR d102b, took a right on 54 which is one of my fave trails, freshly groomed too.  Ran down portage rd and down to LOB at south portage.  Now snowing more moderately!

LOB from south portage to dwight is not yet staked, and now the snow is coming down rather heavily with hi winds!  As I was leading our group of 6 sleds I had everyone stay close to eachother, and I would lead us out and up into dwight bay.  Honestly Ive done this thousands of times in my 40yrs of riding here but this was whiteout conditions...This year i put a Garmin Nuvi GPS mounted to my risers, and installed the OFSC trail maps which I got here on this site(see GPS section where I have posted)  And today it was wonderful to be able to look down and see that I am running correctly in the right direction, especially when 6 other people are depending on you!  They all wondered how i knew where I was going....haha.

Made it to dwight beach, went up the road to hwy 60/35 to the beacon.  And Im happy to report this year they have brand new fuel pumps. We lost the fuel at the beacon several yrs back, and they did have a temp above ground tank for some yrs but now a brand new gas station basically!  And my favorite, shell Vpower(no ethanol, etecs love it!)  After fueling we went down to Bush company(old boiler room) for lunch, always love this place and once again has new ownership.

Now on the guide it shows RED around here, and Im here to say things are alittle odd there.  The trail right next to the bush co restaurant is closed.  But they have completely cut and built a brand new section thru many pines(alot of work!) which eliminates the "sand pit" where the old short section of trail 77 used to go thru when you left the restaurant.  Anyway, now you need to go about 300 feet down the trail behind the old skidoo dealer to eat, but its easy...then come back out to rd and directly cross hwy 35 for the NEW trail 77.  It has yet to be groomed as i think they are waiting on snow, looks like it was just built!

Once we got a few Kms past the old pit and out toward hwy 60 near spring lake resort, all was groomed to a tee again!   We decided to run up 77 to d101b heading north toward kearney. This was all mint, perfectly groomed, fresh snow on  trail and snowing heavily now, tough to see.  These are again nice and big sweeping wide trails...some of my fave!

We got up to d102b and finally ran into another big group, first other sledders we saw all day! I guess not alot of people like riding in a damn near blizzard!  LOL

Dropped back down into deehurst, typically this can be rough but it was all mint and did not pass anymore sleds all day...back down to HGR trails and home...the last hour of the ride today was near zero visibilty, and I have not ridden in these conditions in many years...lucky for electric shield today....., the new BRP gloves i got dont get wet ever, new technology is wonderful.  By the time we got back we had a fresh 6" of new snow over our old tracks from earlier today.

what a blast!

PS: so glad to hear fairy lake is staked now too, also Vernon is staked...the season is now in full swing gang!

Dan

Sorry i did not report back last night, was pretty worn out! lol

Yesterday(Sat) we ran down mary lake to port(I think I already mentioned mary lake was staked friday)...down thru to baysville, and it was rough as hell! I have never seen so many sledders out on one trail! Many sleds pulled off to side taking breaks as the trail was rough! We pounded our way thru there to the esso in baysville, i was soaked with sweat from that trail.

After fueling up with 50 other sleds(gas was jammed!) we headed across the bridge, and noticed we now ride on the RIGHT side of the bridge sidewalk(opposite from any other season) which IMO is rather bad cause now we need to cross the road twice as the trail is on opposite side! Not sure that makes much sense. Saw that restaurant near the bridge on the river must have had another 50 or so sleds infront! We headed down the "superhighway" and the bumpy previous trail was a distant memory, as the superhighway(d102b) was mint mint mint! and anyone who has run this old logging rd knows its a fun fast wide trail with sweeping corners, a dream!

we were alittle short on time so we took a left on 45 to cut us across to 101b and back up into the bottom end of dorset, entire way was mint! Not bad for a sat afternoon!

We pulled in to the trading bay dining room and saw upwards of 50-60 sleds in the entire parking lot, and even parked both sides of the rd....wow what a a sight! Had some food(the chicken club WRAP is GOOD!!) and were back on the sleds within an hour, they were pumping out the food fast!

Ran back up LOB and took a left just after turners island running straight across between bigwin and port cunnington marina, directly straight in between fairview and crown islands....and that is where we have a shortcut up onto south portage rd, and up a small trail we use that puts us on to d102b right at the sharp corner of d102b. a simply awesome way to get back to HGR from dorset QUICKLY! All in all a great day...

Dan

Dan i agree i have never seen more sleds in my life in dorset!!

Wow Dan.  Sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing this information. I like being able to follow your route on the trail map as I read your posts. 

Just to let you know RockerDan the Bush Company,Edgewater on Sand Lake and Suds on Main in Kearney are all owned by the same guy.

interesting!

that's for the update, looking forward to finally getting out a little this weekend

Just to let you know RockerDan the Bush Company,Edgewater on Sand Lake and Suds on Main in Kearney are all owned by the same guy.  

No way!   seriously?    wow that is very interesting!!!   I often like to talk to the owners and see how business is going, love all these places and eat at all of them often!  Hope this great winter brings good business to all the local restaurants.

Dan

Mary lake staked on friday....

post-23178-0-45635900-1390252952_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-42000300-1390252964_thumb.jpg

pics from sundays ride....first few are up at the end of billie bear rd on d101b heading north from dwight to kearney.   Was a wild ride with low visibilty....

last one is the last leg coming home on d102b at HGR54 intersection....we were way out in front of our group rolling pretty good, was a real blast. Was coming down in buckets at this point!  helmets full of snow for sure!

Dan

post-23178-0-85625000-1390253099_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-94496700-1390253119_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-76827600-1390253138_thumb.jpg

Nice pics Dan ,we left Pt Sydney today across Mary Lake ,it was in great shape with the new snow ,then out 103b up to 54 then across the lake into the Bush diner , seen the Suds on main st car there , then out 77 to 101b to Dorset back down to 45 then back into Baysville ,fiiled up then back home to Pt Sydney , ,a 190k run in -18 and sunny skies , every club had been out last night and all trails in these areas were mint to say the least ,havent seen the Muskokas in this shape in many years , if you thinking of calling in sick with the flu ,now is the time , also tried out my new 

Yamaheater handgrip booster , this thing is cooking hot ,worked awsome in this cold 

post-19825-0-95337200-1390260029_thumb.jpg

post-19825-0-47338900-1390260114_thumb.jpg

post-19825-0-93462600-1390260147_thumb.jpg

Nice reports guys and nice pics.  Yahooooooooooooooo winter is here to stay

Nice pics Dan ,we left Pt Sydney today across Mary Lake ,it was in great shape with the new snow ,then out 103b up to 54 then across the lake into the Bush diner , seen the Suds on main st car there , then out 77 to 101b to Dorset back down to 45 then back into Baysville ,fiiled up then back home to Pt Sydney , ,a 190k run in -18 and sunny skies , every club had been out last night and all trails in these areas were mint to say the least ,havent seen the Muskokas in this shape in many years , if you thinking of calling in sick with the flu ,now is the time , also tried out my new 

Yamaheater handgrip booster , this thing is cooking hot ,worked awsome in this cold 

very nice loop!!!    wow things are perfect and ofcourse now its cold as heck!  

BTW i ran the yamaheater on my apex for many seasons, i was one of the first to test if for rockmeister!   

Just sold my apex last august.

Might be a good test for my coldgaurds this week, if anyone gets cold hands these things are incredible for 40 bucks!

Dan

Muskoka Man took the exact same picture of the bridge. It was amazing. 

This is from saturday am

post-23341-0-71093200-1390269614_thumb.png

Yamaheater .com   , its a plug and play unit that goes under the hood and makes yamahas crappy hand and thumbwarmers cook , rode with it first time yesterday and they work VERY well 

Yamaheater .com   , its a plug and play unit that goes under the hood and makes yamahas crappy hand and thumbwarmers cook , rode with it first time yesterday and they work VERY well 

Works quick too. I have seen them finish off a weak stator but really not their fault the stator was probably always weak 

nice report & pics dan,whole new ball game when on a sled in a whiteout...

I don't think I've ever my warmers past 2 bars on my yamaha, plus I have to wear my gloves without the liners in them.

I don't think I've ever my warmers past 2 bars on my yamaha, plus I have to wear my gloves without the liners in them.

if yours is an 04 i think it was before the weak heaters of 06 thru 08 were worst...my 06 apex was horrible.

Dan

My '07 Vector was fine, but it had that special feature ...  What was it called?... Oh yeah, a windshield! :lol:

But I do remember it being an issue on the sleds with the higher bars. 

http://www.yamaheater.com    with the boost are fast to get to temp after a pit stop on trail. The thingy that you install makes the heated grips get the full 12 V that they need. It is not putting any more load on the stater then it is rated for. The yamaha ecu is configured also so that it  protects efi circuit by dropping the voltage to other areas like heated grips and headlights...so at night if you accelerate full throttle the headlights dim :-o .It does a similar thing with the heated grips..drops the voltage. :crazy:

Like Dan said the 06 to 08 were the bad years of Apex and 06-07 Nytros with the 6" riser and turn down ends on the ends of the grips. I never get cold fingers anymore even when other riders are whining about cold fingers ...Yamaheaters work good !

http://www.yamaheater.com    with the boost are fast to get to temp after a pit stop on trail. The thingy that you install makes the heated grips get the full 12 V that they need. It is not putting any more load on the stater then it is rated for. The yamaha ecu is configured also so that it  protects efi circuit by dropping the voltage to other areas like heated grips and headlights...so at night if you accelerate full throttle the headlights dim .It does a similar thing with the heated grips..drops the voltage. :crazy::-o

Like Dan said the 06 to 08 were the bad years of Apex and 06-07 Nytros with the 6" riser and turn down ends on the ends of the grips. I never get cold fingers anymore even when other riders are whining about cold fingers ...Yamaheaters work good !

You sure you typed that right? On my sled when I give it gas, the headlight gets brighter. That makes sense though: the higher the engine rpm the more current is being induced in the alternator, thus providing more voltage to areas such as headlights. 

Archived