Weatherman...

mgooding

So we have over 20000km of available trails and the weather man has a high of 6°C with 20-30mm of rain in the Haliburton area. I can't see anywhere south being any colder.

I keep telling you.  Don't believe them! :lmao:

I keep telling you.  Don't believe them! :lmao:

I seriously hope your right! I was expecting a killer weekend in Dorset 

Unfortunately yes...

The "polar vortex" that broke off and made its way down to the lower 48 this week will retreat today.  And it will be replaced by a "zonal" flow which will bring moderating temps from west to east with a pacific flow.

Thursday and Friday will be the days to get out gang.....Saturday will be mild with temps "possibly" reaching plus 7 to 9c unfortunately.  I dont foresee heavy rain but there will be showers in the area saturday, which will slush up the lakes bigtime.

Sunday will be cooler but still most likely highs above 0c.

We wont get back to cooler temps till midweek, and no bone chilling cold at least til the following weekend.  

We were due for a Jan thaw, this will help settle things down at least and should not hurt our snowpack.

roads however will bare off quickly.

Dan

Unfortunately yes...

The "polar vortex" that broke off and made its way down to the lower 48 this week will retreat today.  And it will be replaced by a "zonal" flow which will bring moderating temps from west to east with a pacific flow.

Thursday and Friday will be the days to get out gang.....Saturday will be mild with temps "possibly" reaching plus 7 to 9c unfortunately.  I dont foresee heavy rain but there will be showers in the area saturday, which will slush up the lakes bigtime.

Sunday will be cooler but still most likely highs above 0c.

We wont get back to cooler temps till midweek, and no bone chilling cold at least til the following weekend.  

We were due for a Jan thaw, this will help settle things down at least and should not hurt our snowpack.

roads however will bare off quickly.

Dan

yep, we are due for a thaw. Better now then later IMO. I don't really care other than the ROADS! that is my only way of getting to the trail atm is LOB is still not safe...DAMN!

last thing we need is a thaw, especially with temps in the 40's and rain...gonna ruin a lot of trails in district 5 and 9 where I do my riding....how can we go from record low temps to 40 and rain a couple days later? Mother nature is DRUNK!

last thing we need is a thaw, especially with temps in the 40's and rain...gonna ruin a lot of trails in district 5 and 9 where I do my riding....how can we go from record low temps to 40 and rain a couple days later? Mother nature is DRUNK!

I know its very upsetting

Agree warm temps alway suck....and for you guys more south not in the snowbelts it can mean starting over again with trails, that is what we had last few seasons even here in snowbelts...luckily we got 2.5ft of snowpack now to lay back on to get us thru this Jan thaw.

But historically, we dont have this much COLD for so long without a thaw....We have been cold since mid november for the most part with really only one thaw that was short lived and did not reach too far north.   

Lets just hope this amazing winter keeps going strong thru march.....I always worry about early winters ending on feb 25th.  Seen that several times too!

The only sport/hobby where you must become a meteorologist!  LOL     most sledders I know all have the "radar" on their smartphones...haha

I must have 20 different weather apps on my phone, and 50 bookmarks on my PC!....lol

Mother nature is DRUNK!

More like Menopause ... she's having a hot flash !

we need a little melt as we cannot pack this much snow

I agree, but wouldn't 15-20mm melt a lot of it.

I live on the border of D9 and D5.  The trails here will survive Sat and Sun ok.  We have lots of snow where I am at anyways.

Let's hope that azzhats on ATVs & (sleds) stay off the trails!

Let's hope that azzhats on ATVs & (sleds) stay off the trails!

I think ALL TRAILS SHOULD BE CLOSED THIS WEEKEND. WE COULD DEVELOP A GREAT HARD PARK TRAIL IF SLEDS STAY OFF AND LET THE GROOMERS WORK THEIR MAGIC. THIS WARMUP COULD BE VERY GOOD IF WE USE IT PROPERLY.

we have had over 7 feet of snowfall here

Oh wow, I wish I could say the same.

we have had over 7 feet of snowfall here 

I believe you but can you post pics. I've never seen 7 feet of snow

The whole area from Midland through Parry Sound got scary amounts of snow. I have heard from a number of people that the pickup truck with a plow that can normally take care of things just won't cut it. Larger front end loaders and large tractor mount blowers are needed that is if you can find a place to either pile it or blow it to,

all that snow is great just would have been better if not in such a short time frame lol

I would imagine with the warm weather coming a lot of people up there are concerned about the weight of they're roofs.

Snow behind the rain

post-19781-0-62299100-1389459960_thumb.gif

it was -1 and snowing hard here at 2pm. Right now it is 0 and doing nothing, supposed to get below 0 and snow about 2 cm overnight with a high of -4 on sunday, and monday more snow and -2. By tuesday it gets pretty much back to narmal and by Wed all the trails should be pretty solid again. The thaw, at least for us was needed for our lakes and will set everything up very well for the remainder of the year. I do feel for the southern clubs, as they took alot harder hit and never had the same base or fidgid weather prior.

Rain has turned to snow here now.

Was snowing here too. I think the trails will be like concrete when the temp drops!

Archived