Closure/Reroute of C102D between Bracebridge + Port Carling

Blake G

I met a Muskoka Sno-Bombers trail warden today and heard about an unfortunate trail closure between Bracebridge and Port Carling. This follows another trail closure that took effect in the same area last season. I have attached an image to try and show the two closures (marked with large red X's) and the route now to be used (blue check mark). You can click on the image for a closer look  You can use the online Interactive Trail Guide to zoom in even more.

The trail marked C102D was closed last year between D Trail and 34 trail. Consequently, last year's most direct route for sledders traveling between Bracebridge and Port Carling was to travel further north on D to turn west on Club Trail 33. This year that section of 33 was renamed C102D on the District 7 paper map, in anticipation of it remaining as the permanent "most direct" connection between Bracebridge and Port Carling.

Now things are worse. Sno-Bombers has recently learned that this connection between D and 34 is no longer available. Two landowners have closed the trail for logging and development reasons. Unfortunately Sno-Bombers found out just this month, so the paper maps are wrong again. NOW the most direct route from Bracebridge to Port Carling is to travel all the way up D to 37, then west on 33 and across Three Mile Lake.

I believe this adds something like an hour to the trip. From what I was told, the plan for next season or the following season is to try and make use of concession right of ways in an effort to restore a more direct link. This means a lot of approval seeking, surveying, clearing, etc. etc.

post-22473-0-89100700-1388534974_thumb.jpg

Too bad. That makes the around the lake treck most difficult as the groomers in the past have not been able to hit those secondary trails.

excellent info blake,seems like there is always a little something happenin to their trails...too bad,was part of our loop

Thanks for the info Blake.  That makes a huge difference.  Hopefully it all works out for the club.

Thanks for the heads up Blake great info!

Too bad. That makes the around the lake treck most difficult as the groomers in the past have not been able to hit those secondary trails.

Perhaps this problem will be addressed, because the Trail Warden also mentioned that Sno-Bombers will be repositioning one of their groomers to a base between Three Mile Lake and Brandy Lake, to allow earlier grooming between those lakes. Apparently in the past those two lakes were early season barriers for the groomers from both Bracebridge and Port Carling sides.

Thanks Blake. I've updated my maps to show the closure.

Great info Blake thank you, as we ride these several times a year....

It really is too bad as the new way thru and around is quite abit further. I hope Snobombers can come up with a decent solution.

thanks again!

Dan

I think the run on Falkenburg Road would be about six kilometres, and would certainly be a reasonable option on those days when the conditions are right. Folks who are planning "round the lake" rides weeks in advance wouldn't be able to rely on being able to use Falkenburg Road, but sledders who are flexible could certainly choose to run the road if conditions allow. 

Archived