Eganville Groomer Fire

old sledhead

Another up date NOTICE TO ALL CLUBS RUNNING TS110 Groomers we found the cause of our fire.

The positive feed from battary that runs under cab and by hydrolic control bank shorted out . The prective rubber wore throught and shorted causing a fire . I had little to no warning with this fire and would not want someone else to get hurt or worse.

Oh and the fire was bad enough that it did over $30,000 and is a write off.

The TM130 out of Elliot Lake also caught fire on the powerline trail 23kms. from town from the exact same cause. Positive battery cable coating worn thru and shorting against the frame, lucky for us the terminal on the battery also melted cutting all power to the unit. I grabbed the fire extinguisher and got the fire out. We towed it back to our shop with a D6 and thawed it out. Other than the positive cable needing to be replaced and some minor melting of some of the wire loom the only other issue was that both the suction and return fuel lines were melted (SCARY) . I guess it is lucky its a vacuum system on he fuel delivery to the filter or thing would likely be different, also the terminal melting of the battery. We are now thinking about a master fuse or link in the battery box should another short occur in the future. I would strongly recommend that all clubs check their battery cables before they go out again, all makes all models. 

We lost 8 days grooming with this machine what from getting it towed and the work required in the shop but it could have been a whole lot worse. We also replaced the 2lb. extinguisher with a 5 lb. one. Its back on the trail now no worse for wear.

Anyone with ideas about a master fuse or fusible link or such let us (everyone) know.

Archived