Eganville Groomer Fire

old sledhead

I had just a fantastic day yesterday on my return trip on scsa117 trail our one and only groomer caught fire . It happened very fast a little smell of smoke and then flames, just had time to grab my coat and cell phone . The groomer is a complette loss . Thanks to the fast responce of the bonnchere valley fire dept they put the fire out but not before the whole cab was gone.

That is awful.  Hope you were able to escape unhurt? 

sorry to hear about groomer but glad you're ok...

Crap...glad you are ok

Was a newholand ts110  tractor .  as far as being ok letts just say thank god there is lots of snow to jump into , my exit was not gracefull .This maybe this is something that should be in ofsc groomer training . Its just equipment its insured and not worth a life. Have to say only one woman turned her car around and came back to make sure I was ok and 911 had been called she could not believe 6 cars past a burning groomer beside the road and no one stopped .

Glad that you're ok. Unbelievable and very sad that half a dozen people drove by without stopping.

Big thanks to Pembrokes Timberline club who is giving up one of there two groomers to keep us going . This will leave that club maxed out with one groomer.

. I go to pick up the groomer tomorrow and have about a eight hour drive in the groomer from pembroke to eganville . So the top a and scsa119 will get one pass tomorrow for sure.

I really hope this never happens to any other clubs what a pain. 

Glad to hear that another club stepped up to help you out. The season is too short to wait for insurance to deal with it.

hats off to pembrokes timberline club...nice to see clubs help each other out..old sledhead...thx for all you do & way to jump right back in the saddle...must get double time for tomorrow...happy new yr...

Yes fantastic that Timberline is willing to give up a groomer .But that leaves them down to one if they have ia break down they are in big trouble. What I dont understand is there are clubs out there that have  equipment that is not being used to let say its full potental . I know a few years back here in distrct 6 we were skinny on snow and the barry area got hit with more snow than they could handle so we shipped one of snow counrtys groomers over to help out .  What i want to know is the ofsc knows our groomer is down and will be for a while there should be a way to put the call out for help across the province . I know we just can't have groomers sitting around incase but as I said before I would not wish this mess on anyone .

One other thing No our club can't afford to go out and purchase a new groomer  or used for that matter .

Yes I get paid double for today lets see 2 X 0 = 0 

The OFSC owns the groomers that is what they tell us. Therefore in theory the OFSC can move a groomer if the decision is made. That being said it is not an easy decision as it means that you are pulling a groomer from another area of dedicated volunteers. I have to wonder how long it would take to assemble another ts110 tractor chances are that the groomer conversion subframe is not too badly damaged to be restored new tracks and tires a paint job and Ebert Welding could likely find a good used ts110 to convert if the insurance is willing to play ball. Many options are out there . Kudos to the other club for helping out. Glad that the operator was ok. 

The cause needs to be identified as we have several of these in the provincial fleet 

WildBill, disagree with the statement that the OFSC owns the groomer and in theiry could move it, but thats another discussion. Heard from a couple of sources at AGM that Eberts was not in the groomer business anymore but that might just be rumor. What I do know is that there are 5-6 groomers due to be replaced this year under the OFSC Industrial Groomer program all of which had trade-ins of some kind. Have any of those units been delivered? What about the units that were coming off the snow. Could one of these be put back into service temporarily? The side benefit is that you would not be taking resources away from another club that just might need them given the great start to the year. A far as units coming off the snow, Cochrane was trading in a 2000 New Holland TM110, North Bay a 1997 BR 180, and Blue Mountain a 2003 BR180. Seems to be a lot of options to be explored.

Hats off to Pembroke for helping out and good luck to Eganville getting things sorted out. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

The OFSC owns the groomers that is what they tell us. Therefore in theory the OFSC can move a groomer if the decision is made. That being said it is not an easy decision as it means that you are pulling a groomer from another area of dedicated volunteers. I have to wonder how long it would take to assemble another ts110 tractor chances are that the groomer conversion subframe is not too badly damaged to be restored new tracks and tires a paint job and Ebert Welding could likely find a good used ts110 to convert if the insurance is willing to play ball. Many options are out there . Kudos to the other club for helping out. Glad that the operator was ok. 

The cause needs to be identified as we have several of these in the provincial fleet 

The OFSC does NOT own the groomers.

In the end, the federation does own the groomers, they are bought with permit funds, which is generated through the federation you belong to. Doesn't sound right, and I don't say I agree with it, but that is how it was explained to me. I believe it would take a leagle battle to settle much as most clubs have the title to the groomer in their name. Something to think about I guess.

In the end, the federation does own the groomers, they are bought with permit funds, which is generated through the federation you belong to. Doesn't sound right, and I don't say I agree with it, but that is how it was explained to me. I believe it would take a leagle battle to settle much as most clubs have the title to the groomer in their name. Something to think about I guess.

As much as it bothers me, you are correct Wildman.

Quik update after 8 hours of my life that I will not get back , we have a loaner groomer in Eganville . The other news is it is on its way  out today to finish getting the scsa117 trail to Dacre opened today and tonight after work I will be in the seat for another 5 hours on the b101a to golden lake. Douglas tomorrow and we hope to get e102 to griffith open by next week.

Now before someone gets on me for my comment of 8 hours I will not get back . I had 20 plus hours in the groomer between christmass and new years alone before the  groomer fire and also iam chaseing down two on trail incidents and have not even had time to get on my sled. But why do we keep doing it because after 8 hours in -20 yesterday you get out of the groomer and have two sleders walk up to you and thank you for good trails.

At this rate my wife said the ofsc does not need a groomer fund or trails fund but will soon require a DIVORCE fund. lol

Thanks for the Support from all.

Thank you for your time and dedication.

We need more of this happening....and yes it is much harder for all when the ground is white........Thankyou.

Thanks for your tireless efforts Old Sledhead. Individuals like yourself keep this sport what it is today.

I'm hoping I will have more time later in life to give back my share. Young kids, coaching hockey etc. - three games again this weekend.  

I have reached out to my club a few times to see if I can get involved, although be it limited. - no response!!  

Hoping to ride over your way this year. Our weekend last year we were rained out. Oh well!

Archived