SNOWCREST TRAILS 2013 & 2014

2bsledding

More trails have become available (limited) for riding in Snowcrest Country! The C101D from TOP D to Muskoka Wharf. TOP B from HWY 118 to Trail 3, Trail 3 from TOP B to Housey Rapids Rd. TOP D from C101D to Sam Cook Rd. TOP D from C101D to Kilty Switch. No Lakes have been staked at this time!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow,the club has done alot of work to get your trails open with all the snow & downed tree,see why snowcrest won club of the yr...thx alot

wow,the club has done alot of work to get your trails open with all the snow & downed tree,see why snowcrest won club of the yr...thx alot

Unfortunately, I have had to change my original post re C101D From the Wharf out towards Torrance. We just received a call from our groomer operator. As he was coming back on C101D, the groomer feel through the ice in a significant water hole. We barely got the groomer out. We have now had to close C101D from the Wharf heading towards Torrance. Crews will be out in the next few days to try and reroute around the wet area.

It must not be easy with all the swamps and small lakes around here.

I rode all the open Snowcrest trails on the weekend and have to give a big thumbs up to the grooming crews. The trails were in spectacular shape. Keep up the good work.

Carmen

I rode all the open Snowcrest trails on the weekend and have to give a big thumbs up to the grooming crews. The trails were in spectacular shape. Keep up the good work.

Carmen

That's nice to hear. Actually a big thumbs up to our volunteers also, as much of our trail system (Including the sections you rode) were completely blocked with fallen trees from windstorms.  

That's great news! The section to Sam Cook Rd. is right by my sister's and we are coming up on the 2nd for the weekend. Finally will get her our out on her sled.

Well done guys

Cheers all the volunteers!!

Carmen

Seriously, we have a great group in our club.  They always do a superb job!!!  Thanks again peeps!!!

Unfortunately, I have had to change my original post re C101D From the Wharf out towards Torrance. We just received a call from our groomer operator. As he was coming back on C101D, the groomer feel through the ice in a significant water hole. We barely got the groomer out. We have now had to close C101D from the Wharf heading towards Torrance. Crews will be out in the next few days to try and reroute around the wet area.

C101D is now back open asLimited availability from D to the Wharf. From the Wharf to trail 12. Trail 12 to trail 9 and all of trail 9. Also Limited availability is D North to Kilty Switch, D south to Sam Cooke Rd, B North from Hwy 118 to trail 3 & trail 3 from B North to Housey Rapids Rd. No Lakes are staked. 

Thanks, Bob, and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Good job by all - Merry Christmas to all, I'm sure this hard work will make it a merrier for us sledders.

Thanks, Bob, and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Thanks Blake. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well. Also thank you again for your help (equipment) to remove the massive downed trees on a section of trail. We are hoping to open that section soon.   

Great work Snowcrest, Bob I will be up that way on the weekend give me a shout if you want to join up for a ride :)

Sorry Viper - with all these ice storms my phone lines are down.   And with the wet fall, all of the swamps are still open and the bridges are closed.   Otherwise I would be thrilled if you dropped by.   :-P

who says I want to see the likes of you this close to the holidays, geeze some people I tell ya!!!!!!! LOL

Went from Gravenhurst to Bala and back yesterday on C101D. It was great to get on it so early in the season. The new reroute from Redwing Drive to Osprey is newly signed and I assume one of the reasons the trail is open so early is because of the large swamps that are now bypassed. Way to go, a great group of Snowcrest volunteers at work.

There was a pretty slow section in the middle of the route in the Southwood area (Torrance Barrens). For about ten kilometres or so we were traveling about 30 kilometres per hour. It wasn't dangerous, just ungroomed with lots of ups and downs.  We were riding two up, by the way. Slowed down and smelled the pines. In this area there were about three places where a small amount of water was visible. I'm talking about a few inches of water at the bottom of little dips. The main thing was to go slow so I could see these and creep over them. I felt safe, and it was definitely passable, but I would hate to be going too fast and hit these dips. A little more cold and snow and they will disappear.

The first 30% of the trail at the Gravenhurst end and the last 50% after we crossed Southwood Road were much better. They had been groomed. I don't think the big groomer can get to the centre section, but we saw the Gravenhurst groomer and the Bala groomer at each end of the trail.

We went to the Bala Falls Pub and had a coffee and bowl of excellent soup right when it opened at 11.

great report blake,keep them coming...

Had a good few hours today (Sunday Dec 29) with Viper, myself, and four other local sledders. (I know their actual names, but will conceal them to protect the innocent. Unfortunately, I don't know their OC handles.) We left Gravenhurst around 11, went north on D to 37, then back to Gravenhurst. People coming south told us that D was not in the best of shape north of 37, so we decided to turn around. Stopped for a long lunch at Crabby Joe's in Bracebridge. Service was slow, though Viper said their service was quite a bit faster yesterday. Today there were about ten other sledders and a few civilians having lunch around 1.

The trail was fairly busy, as would be expected. I counted twelve sledders unloading and heading north from Gull Lake Park staging area between 1030 and 11. The snow was soft and worn compared to earlier in the week, but there was very little sign of snirt. Temperatures are supposed to drop this evening, so we will certainly be moving forward with a solid base. Saw one OPP ambush around 230 at the north end of the bridge across the Muskoka River. He did not slow us down at all, as he was doing a visual check for trail permits and registration decals as we crossed the road. Seemed to me like a pretty efficient way to pinch a few freeloaders while letting the legal sledders pass without delay.

I heard that staking of Kahshe Lake is supposed to happening today, so we can now proceed farther on D south of Gravenhurst....

Great to hear Blake. Hope to see you next weekend.

Do you know if they need any help with the trails next weekend? I know a weekday would be better.

I'm coming up Wednesday or Thursday night until Sunday evening and can bring a chainsaw, tow-sled and anything else they can think of.

Great ride today Blake it was nice meeting you!

We continued south to Bala after we left you, what an adventure that was, LOL, that's a story for another thread

Blake it was nice meeting you today and getting out to ride.

It was nice to see the results of our work on the new reroute from Redwing Drive to Osprey.

Looks a lot better now then it did last Saturday. Thanks to the groomer operators.

I heard that staking of Kahshe Lake is supposed to happening today, so we can now proceed farther on D south of Gravenhurst....

A lot of trail packing today and some brushing of new fall slowed things down today so the staking didn't happen; although we augured a lot of holes and we think we are good to go from an ice thickness standpoint - just like to get some of the wet out of the way.    

We've run the lake a few times to open it up to the cold weather coming and will run it some more the next couple of days to keep it exposed to the cold.  Thursday is the planned day for staking D across Kahshe. 

A lot of trail packing today and some brushing of new fall slowed things down today so the staking didn't happen; although we augured a lot of holes and we think we are good to go from an ice thickness standpoint - just like to get some of the wet out of the way.    

We've run the lake a few times to open it up to the cold weather coming and will run it some more the next couple of days to keep it exposed to the cold.  Thursday is the planned day for staking D across Kahshe. 

Thanks for getting things ready on Kashe Lk, Kashe Crew & STG. We are hoping to get down to the bottom end of D today. We had a little setback at 5am yesterday morning with our PB100. We had just put 4 new belts on for a new track system and tore one off in under 30 hrs of running on the new rubber. This is a two day repair once we get new belts, but we'll keep pushing on.

Thanks for getting things ready on Kashe Lk, Kashe Crew & STG. We are hoping to get down to the bottom end of D today. We had a little setback at 5am yesterday morning with our PB100. We had just put 4 new belts on for a new track system and tore one off in under 30 hrs of running on the new rubber. This is a two day repair once we get new belts, but we'll keep pushing on.

Great work once again guys.

As usual you guys are great.  Can't wait to get up there.  Hopefully in a week to 10 days we can get our butts up there to see you.  Keep the updates coming.  I can't believe that you guys are staking Kashe already.  That is awesome to hear.  Should be great sledding early this year.  THANKS :right_on:

Archived