D-Trail , Bracebridge

Muskoka Man

the site says D-trail north of Bracebridge is limited ,just came of of it , should have taken my Atv , alot of ruts and mud , there is a section were it looks like they stuck a groomer in the swamp  and turned around and no grooming above that area but it is still listed as yellow ,met a few unhappy dudes wondering the same as me ,why is this area yellow , heads up for anyone heading up this way ,we need some more cold , I did see Pt Sydney has made a pass

from there way , they are still red but looks better than Sno bombers yellow section ,

no go arounds , new snowfall and groom might help

Things have deteriorated, then, since the trail was listed as yellow at the beginning of the week.

This past Tuesday I sledded north on D from Bracebridge, as far as Graves Road, and the trail was very good from Sleep Inn at 118 up to the cutoff for Trail 33. North of that point there was still adequate snow and no sign of dirt, but the trail was ungroomed and much slower going.

Thank you for the update, as I was seriously considering using D again tomorrow. Now I'll come up with an alternate idea.

I hear the Water bridge is also closed off now

I took C101D from Gravenhurst and headed north late this morning. I made it only to barely north of Reay Road, at which point I had to turn around because of the creek at the bottom of the first hill. I have no confidence in jumping creeks with the Arcitc Tank 2 up. There was about six inches of dense new snow with a soft crust on top. I would think this stuff will be a great addition to the existing base once it's groomed and we get some more cold weather.

This section of the trail is listed as yellow and might be fine for people on nimble sleds.

I took C101D from Gravenhurst and headed north late this morning. I made it only to barely north of Reay Road, at which point I had to turn around because of the creek at the bottom of the first hill. I have no confidence in jumping creeks with the Arcitc Tank 2 up. There was about six inches of dense new snow with a soft crust on top. I would think this stuff will be a great addition to the existing base once it's groomed and we get some more cold weather.

This section of the trail is listed as yellow and might be fine for people on nimble sleds.

Saw your post and Snowcrest is on it. Just spoke with our groomer operator. Groomer is at the location now pushing snow in and making a snow / ice bridge. Sleds had been going around the hole. With cold temps coming, it should freeze up nicely. Snowcrest groomers are out on several trails today. Signage inspections and A-01 forms are expected to be filed today. Hopefully, we will see more Snowcrest trails become available or at least limited availability. Hopefully, everyone rides with caution as we have volunteers on the trails and our large industrial groomers on the trail during the day, who are doing their best to try and get more trails ready to ride for the holidays. Snowcrest Riders still updates their website under the "trails" tab when their is a change to trails availability. We manage our own site as the District Web site and OFSC Interactive guide are only updated twice per week.   

Thank you for the update, 2bsledding.

2bsledding

thats great news & will use your website as well...thx

Snowcrest Riders still updates their website under the "trails" tab when their is a change to trails availability. We manage our own site as the District Web site and OFSC Interactive guide are only updated twice per week.   

http://snowcrestriders.com/

HGR thru port sydney just went to yellow(limited) on D trail and much of our trail system.   I worked on my trail this week(52) cutting up the many many downed trees with chainsaw, so 52 is also yellow, and looks like i can get down to baysville now, which are all now limited down baysville way.

We think the remainder of HGR trails will all be limited(thru toward deerhurst) before the weekend!

Merry xmas everyone, see you all on the trails.

I will measure mary lake ice again before weekend if I get time, last it was only 4"-5" near shore and is now more slushy since the last two dumps of snow.

Dan

Thanks  Dan ,im just south of you on Lone Pine Drive ,maybe some green by the weekend

Thanks  Dan ,im just south of you on Lone Pine Drive ,maybe some green by the weekend

will be nice to get out of my road for a ride now...been alot of work with so many trees down this year.

I ride down your way alot....im sure we know many of the same people too.  love your snow stick!

Dan

Does anybody know what's up with the status of the snowmobile bridge crossing the Muskoka River south of Bracebridge? 

The bridge is shown as closed on the Interactive Trail Guide, and when I visited today (Monday) I saw that there is a barrier at each end. The barriers have been moved to the side and there are tons of snowmobile tracks crossing the bridge.

Click to enlarge the photo.

post-22473-0-01708400-1387860463_thumb.jpg

^^

I wonder if they just have not updated it yet on the interactive guide, I was wondering about that bridge being red too....and now seeing that pic with the tracks across now that is a good sign.  

thanks for the pic I am going to try to get down that way.

Dan

G'day rockerdan.

I am a little concerned that each end of the bridge has an orange barricade that has been cast aside, probably by the first sledder who decided to ignore the barriers....

Just came back from riding D from Pt Sydney to Gravenhurst , Sno-bombers were out last night and groomed from Graves road south to the bridge and the trail is MINT , the bridge was being repaired by town workers and is done , i then went down into gravenhurst and things are good there also , did a nice 100 k run in the -20s, met snobombers groomer heading north with no drag on so they must be heading up to break open some trail, things are looking up for sure , might try Whitney on Fri as they got some new snow and cold

This is all good news. I couldn't bring myself to go out today, as it is so cold. Supposed to be a little warmer starting tomorrow, so hoping to try out these awesome local trails.

looks like the south end of the bridge was sinking , there was alot of workers and town trucks there repairing it , trails were so flat and frozen there was little lube around , B trails across the highway 11 bridge were coming together nicely also ,good work snocrest ,tough going over there

looks like it will be a longer riding season than usual ,

Great report MM, thank you!

I also thought about going out today but man o man it was chilly and breezy!   I did see several tracks across my lake down in port sydney, I have yet to do another measurement of ice here at north end of lake infront of my place, and I will try to post that before weekend.  Might even try to get out tomorrow for a ride since I think the temps will be alittle milder.  

MM, did you ride D up to port sydney, or south mary lake rd yet?   I assume you must live near south mary lake rd?   I am going to try to get down that way wed or thurs...but I never like riding thru town(port sydney) as HGR has the gate locked for the lake trail.   Who knows, if i measure it thick enough I might just ride down the lake from my end, im betting its darn near safe.  

good info here, thanks guys!

Dan

im near stephenson rd 1 and D , havent rd up to port sydney because mary lake isnt ready and i dont like the town rd either , sometime i trailer up to beaver meadows groomer building to ride towards baysville and dorset when waiting for the lake to freeze , the trail from ptSydney south needs one more pass to be green

Ok, i think you are near where D comes off the pipeline,down that rd(hill) then we cross the tracks at lone pine rd, then into the bush near a guys driveway.  

I saw the other day in my truck that D comes into the pipeline at a differnt spot now this year, instead of turning down steph 2 then onto pipeline, it looks like we ride down lone pine a few hundred feet then go onto D there.

My place is just past beaver meadows rd, westpoint sands rd.  So i normally ride up to trail 52, then down to clubhouse and down to port.  

i hope to try to get down there either tomorrow or thurs.

I got out today on HGR trails for about 50 miles.....

Trails 52,51 thru the pines to lynx lake rd, and 53 were all being packed.  We stopped and talked to the HGR guys on the BR packing, they think ALL the remaining HGR trails will be packed before this weekend, and most of the trails on west side of mary lake were done today with the big groomer apparently, including D trail up to 37 were duyuwanna takes over.  The ride today was decent but should be alot smoother after the first dragging which i hope is maybe this weekend?

Did another auger hole here at north end of mary lake, now 8" thick total....however the top 4" is white ice which is slush in certain patches.  We ran down our shoreline from westpoint sands to MBC without stopping. Our end has been froze since 13th or so, about a week earlier then port sydney end.

a few more cold nights coming monday thru wed of next week should take care of much of the slush.

Dan

Archived