Open or Closed Businesses

revrnd

Updated list.

Thru the Ottawa Valley recently on Hwy 17. No sign of a Mi Casa B&B, Stonecliffe Resort or Rapides Motel.

Saw an abandoned business, Breton Motel & Restaurant east of Mattawa. Looking online it closed sometime prior to 2010. It's on my database, but I don't ever recall hearing about it. It'll be removed from the database.

Sometimes it's hard to determine if a business is open or closed permanently. Type "breton motel mattawa" into your search engine of choice & look @ all the hits that come up.

It's with sadness to see an old friend go.  But THREE BEARS CAMP in Shining Tree is CLOSED and up for sale.  There is no food, no bar, no gas and will probably stay this way until it's sold.

Brandon now lives in southern Ontario and Kelly now lives and works at a mine over by New Liskeard.  

Thank-you for the update! Does this mean maybe no C trail thru the area as well because of lack of volunteers? I know you will continue to supply gas at the main road.

Saw an abandoned business, Breton Motel & Restaurant east of Mattawa. Looking online it closed sometime prior to 2010. It's on my database, but I don't ever recall hearing about it. It'll be removed from the database.

Sometimes it's hard to determine if a business is open or closed permanently. Type "breton motel mattawa" into your search engine of choice & look @ all the hits that come up.

From Google Earth Streetview:

post-19781-0-66824200-1437876714_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Down to Ottawa via Hwy 7 today. Can any regular travellers along this route identify the 2 closed motels that are between the Arden & Mountain Grove turnoffs? The easterly 1 is on the north side. The motel closer to Arden "The (blank) Inn" is on the south side. Just wondering if I have them listed on the database.

TIA

• 2 months later...

Updated the list on the 1st page. Any idea if the Villa Motel in Markdale still exists?

As always guys thanks for the help.

Any visitors to NW Ontario know the name of this abandoned motel & gas station near Kashabowie on Hwy' 11 west of Thunder Bay?

post-19781-0-66660700-1453269916_thumb.jpgpost-19781-0-30969600-1453269945_thumb.jpg

I have a business named Kashabowie Store & Lodging. Nothing comes up on a Google search.

I've seen it, but don't recall ever seeing it open, or what it was called.

I've seen it, but don't recall ever seeing it open, or what it was called.

Thanks.

Your statement reminds me of this thread:

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11542-wawa-motel-investments/?hl=wawa

Some of them have been closed longer than I've been looking after the motel list. When I got the pics, a couple were unknown to me.

Revrnd, thank you for keeping the data base up to date. What a task that must be.

Arundel Lodge is not open in the winter. There is no snowmobile trail within three miles of it.

Edited by revrnd
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another mystery for you guys.

post-19781-0-45830800-1455146082_thumb.jpg

(pic looking south)

It's about 13 klicks north of Aubrey Falls on Hwy 129. I have a waypoint marked gas for the business but no date or name.

post-19781-0-58985100-1455146305_thumb.jpg

Any idea what the name of it was when it was open? By the looks of it's condition, it had been closed for a while when the Googlemobile went thru.

• 6 months later...

Copied from facebook 

o our Customers, Neighborhood and Friends
With much regret, The Red Door Bakery has CLOSED – September 15 , 2016
Opened Since August 1, 2008 (even years before that from home) 
To our many regular customers, we are very grateful for the support you gave us in our desire to open a warm neighborhood bakery owned and operated by a family here in Waubamik for the residents of Waubamik ( McDougall Township) and surrounding area. I just wish there had been more of you, but we will always remember your kindness.
And for a small minority of people who rooted for our failure before we ever opened our doors, we’ll never forget you either. We have had good and bad reviews, been criticized by people who have never even have been to The Red Door Bakery, was both amusing and demoralizing, not only to us as owners, but to our coworkers who put all of their efforts into giving each guest a great experience.
We want to thank the wonderful people we got to know, who worked with us both behind the scenes, in the kitchen and in the front of the store serving you. Owing a bakery is a 24 hours a day experience, and we couldn’t have picked a nicer group of people to spend our time with.

Life goes on, we’ll continue to raise our family, and we wish all of you our very best wishes. Our Health is as important as our family, time to get healthy and enjoy our family.

Sincerely,
Lori Campbell
Liz Campbell
The Red Door Bakery

• Like 2

13 km north of Aubrey Falls would be the old Johnnys Truck Stop later known as Stop 129. The resteraunt and gas station burned years ago and has been closed since

• Like 1

13 km north of Aubrey Falls would be the old Johnnys Truck Stop later known as Stop 129. The resteraunt and gas station burned years ago and has been closed since

Thanks a bunch!

I forgot to post something last night about driving past the derelict operation.

I came down the "road" in July & did see a sign "something" 129. It was faded & I was towing the trailer so I didn't want to gawk around too much. When I call 129 a road, most of it should be a 500 or 600 series secondary road by the state of the pavement, 

Copied from facebook 

o our Customers, Neighborhood and Friends

With much regret, The Red Door Bakery has CLOSED – September 15 , 2016

Opened Since August 1, 2008 (even years before that from home) 

To our many regular customers, we are very grateful for the support you gave us in our desire to open a warm neighborhood bakery owned and operated by a family here in Waubamik for the residents of Waubamik ( McDougall Township) and surrounding area. I just wish there had been more of you, but we will always remember your kindness.

And for a small minority of people who rooted for our failure before we ever opened our doors, we’ll never forget you either. We have had good and bad reviews, been criticized by people who have never even have been to The Red Door Bakery, was both amusing and demoralizing, not only to us as owners, but to our coworkers who put all of their efforts into giving each guest a great experience.

We want to thank the wonderful people we got to know, who worked with us both behind the scenes, in the kitchen and in the front of the store serving you. Owing a bakery is a 24 hours a day experience, and we couldn’t have picked a nicer group of people to spend our time with.

Life goes on, we’ll continue to raise our family, and we wish all of you our very best wishes. Our Health is as important as our family, time to get healthy and enjoy our family.

Sincerely,

Lori Campbell

Liz Campbell

The Red Door Bakery

Wow, very sad to see another small town business gone! As well another gas stop gone for sledders just north east of Parry Sound. :(

• 1 month later...

Up to the show & got all but 1 of the latest maps (missing D1) & will start going thru them to update the database. If anyone can confirm the status of any of the listed businesses the help would be greatly appreciated. I'll post when Corey has updated the online info.

New proprietors at the former Red Door Bakery in Waubamic - DunAhmic area of district 10. ( if it is still called district 10) Kitzies Kitchen is the new name, no internet presence yet. Selling baked goods, some small grocery items and hoping to expand to a deli restaurant over time. They have applied to sell gas - will update next time I'm over there.

The Moncton Diner in Moncton Ontario (just off the B111 between Listowel & Mitchell) is now open and running in the building that was formally Mary's Truck Stop. They do not have fuel since the tanks were pulled out when Mary's shut down, I believe they are a breakfast / lunch operation only. Maybe Dave K. could chime in with  more info. on hours they are open.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The Moncton Diner in Moncton Ontario (just off the B111 between Listowel & Mitchell) is now open and running in the building that was formally Mary's Truck Stop. They do not have fuel since the tanks were pulled out when Mary's shut down, I believe they are a breakfast / lunch operation only. Maybe Dave K. could chime in with  more info. on hours they are open.

Great place for some food.  All homemade  Open on Mon-Wed 7-3, Thurs Fri till 7 Sat till 3   519 347 9999

I recommend the Monkton Burger.    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave K said:

Hear that, Slomo? :-P

Thx for the information. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Owls Nest Lodge said:

Owls nest is not open for winter rentals for 5 years as the highway construction crew has taken all winter cabins monthly. 

Noted.

On October 23, 2016 at 7:38 PM, Owls Nest Lodge said:

Owls nest is not open for winter rentals for 5 years as the highway construction crew has taken all winter cabins monthly. 

You should have gotten them to buy the whole place :)

On October 23, 2016 at 0:39 PM, Dave K said:

Great place for some food.  All homemade  Open on Mon-Wed 7-3, Thurs Fri till 7 Sat till 3   519 347 9999

Is the new gas bar and Tim Hortons open on the Blyth corner yet, where the old shell station and restaurant was? Went by this summer and construction was under way! Be great if it is ready for winter season.