Weekday Riders within an hour of Gravenhurst

Blake G

Blake I have been running from trail 32(boyd bay) down to Boston pizza for many yrs.....always sticking closer to the two big islands(eilean and browning)

I have never worried about water coming from  Muskoka river, as long as you stay closer to the big islands.

Hey Dan. I was raised on Walker's Point, and we were always told to avoid going anywhere east of Eilean Gowan or Browning Islands near the river. I guess our parents didn't want to have to worry about us getting into any trouble. Back then, lake travel was certainly different than it is now, in terms of sled speed and reliability. From our side of the lake, the mouth of the river was not on the way to anywhere, so this rule never presented a problem.

I can see where more accurate knowledge is helpful for sledding from the end of trail 32 at Indian Head Harbour down the east side of the lake. I must admit that up until today, when going from Gravenhurst to Trail 32, I always went up the Walker's Point side of the lake (old stomping grounds) and then straight across from Old Woman Island and then east  between Pine and Birch Islands. Sounds as though I may have been going farther than I needed to, due to old wives' tales.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pics Blake! And great report. Planning a similar run this next week.

Love that lookout over three mile. One of my favorite places, it is a great perch. I've been told that on a very clear day you can see the hills in collingwood from there in the distance, although never seen them myself.

Perhaps the tale of an old sledders wife. Who knows?

Sounds like a tale to me. LOL

All ya can see from up there will be one or two ridges to the west, I'd wager. I'll have to go there again on the next sunny day, to test the theory.

Sounds like a tale to me. LOL

All ya can see from up there will be one or two ridges to the west, I'd wager. I'll have to go there again on the next sunny day, to test the theory.

Totally agree.  It is a pretty nice spot though.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody up for a five or six hour ride out of Gravenhurst or vicinity tomorrow morning (Friday)?

I finally got my Cat out of the vet's (five weeks!) and need to take it for a cruise....

Anybody up for a five or six hour ride out of Gravenhurst or vicinity tomorrow morning (Friday)?

I finally got my Cat out of the vet's (five weeks!) and need to take it for a cruise....

what was the diagnoses?

Well, Wildbill, since you asked...........and I know you do service work and operate TZ1's in your rental fleet....I will PM you the longer version of what happened.....but for this thread......

My 09 TZ1 Turbo purchased in Guelph last summer had the wrong studs for the single ply track. Too long, and heads too small. Led to five pull throughs. I was not inspecting my track. The last pull through was at WOT and drained all the coolant quite quickly at a time when the engine had been working full out for two minutes. The episode led to some other issues, and various things conspired so that I have been without the machine for the best part of five weeks.

I can say I am quite satisfied with the repairs and really looking forward to using the sled again.Tomorrow it will be five weeks exactly since I threw the stud. The local dealer has explained everything to me each step of the way, and I have confidence in what they have done and the amount they have billed. I will continue to trust in the expertise of this particular set of humans. Having said that, my wife is going to be real happy this weekend if she is able to ride behind me on the two up seat, after five weeks of watching me take off on the shorty GSX without her. (She prefers to be a passenger, for some reason.)

Well, Wildbill, since you asked...........and I know you do service work and operate TZ1's in your rental fleet....I will PM you the longer version of what happened.....but for this thread......

My 09 TZ1 Turbo purchased in Guelph last summer had the wrong studs for the single ply track. Too long, and heads too small. Led to five pull throughs. I was not inspecting my track. The last pull through was at WOT and drained all the coolant quite quickly at a time when the engine had been working full out for two minutes. The episode led to some other issues, and various things conspired so that I have been without the machine for the best part of five weeks.

I can say I am quite satisfied with the repairs and really looking forward to using the sled again.Tomorrow it will be five weeks exactly since I threw the stud. The local dealer has explained everything to me each step of the way, and I have confidence in what they have done and the amount they have billed. I will continue to trust in the expertise of this particular set of humans. Having said that, my wife is going to be real happy this weekend if she is able to ride behind me on the two up seat, after five weeks of watching me take off on the shorty GSX without her. (She prefers to be a passenger, for some reason.)

Blake, glad to hear you have your cat back in the pack.  On a side note:  Is your wife crazy??  Has she ever driven a sled lately??  There is NO way I would be a passenger.  But, I do remember a friend of mine a few years back who was the same as your wife.  She said that due to she doesn't like to pay attention while driving she feels that it is in everyone's best interest that she sits on the back.  To each their own I guess.  All kidding aside, it is great to see she does enjoy the sport with you.

We still have to hook up sometime before we are finished sledding.  Would really like to meet up with you.  Always nice to ride with different people every once in a while.

Right on, Dee. Keep me in mind when you guys are going out. I don't necessarily plan more than a day ahead, so I can often be flexible.

When I left Arnie's Cat House yesterday, with the machine in the back of my pickup, I left the key in the sled's ignition. I went outside at ten o'clock this morning, all set to enjoy a nice ride, and the sled was still in the back of the truck, but the key was gone. What the heck?  

Back to Arnie's for an ignition swap. Another day shot! LOL

Right on, Dee. Keep me in mind when you guys are going out. I don't necessarily plan more than a day ahead, so I can often be flexible.

When I left Arnie's Cat House yesterday, with the machine in the back of my pickup, I left the key in the sled's ignition. I went outside at ten o'clock this morning, all set to enjoy a nice ride, and the sled was still in the back of the truck, but the key was gone. What the heck?

Now, that sucks.  Geez!!  I guess it could have been a lot worse though.  Happy sledding!!

I am planning a Saturday (tomorrow) run from Gravenhurst to Port Sydney, then across LOB to Dwight for a snack.

If anyone is interested in joining us, just let me know. I would be leaving Gull Lake Park at nine and be back before 3.

I am "considering" doing a Saturday (tomorrow) run from Gravenhurst to Port Sydney, then across LOB using rockerdan's shortcut, to Dwight for a snack. Let me know if you're interested. I would be leaving Gull Lake Park at nine and be back before 3.

No can do.  We are working Saturday.  We had to get back to Niagara Wednesday night to pick up my Mother at the Buffalo airport Thursday morning.  Which btw was obviously lucky for us after seeing the wreck that WD was in yesterday.  

I am very aware of the route on LOB.  That is an awesome way to go.  We use to run that Lake all the time.  Actually we loved running LOB from Dwight to Dorset than jump on all the lakes with a few portages in between to Haliburton.  There is a lot of quick runs that way.  LOL

extreme600 you folks are busy busy. Hopefully we'll connect before all this white stuff disappears.

If anyone else is interested in a run to Dwight tomorrow, please let me know.

We will be back up some time Friday for the weekend.

seen that before wind catches the key tag and there it was gone 

Heading out for a run up Lake Rosseau tomorrow (Friday, March 7, 2014) starting out from Brackenrig Road and Highway 118. We're going to go up the lake to the Seguin Trail, west to Tim Horton's and gas, down C through Wild Bill's parking lot, then we'll pick a route that eventually returns us to Arthurlie Bay and the starting point. So far just me and my buddy Tim, but we would welcome more company. I've been out on Lake Muskoka the last two days, and conditions have been excellent in the places I've visited.

If anyone is interested in joining us, please let me know in this thread or by pm.

Happy Trails.

Had a great ride today up Lake Rosseau, west on the Seguin, and south to Lake Joseph and return. The lakes and trails were perfect.

Finally got to meet and shake hands with Wildbill. He does actually exist, and is just as awesome and formidable in real life as he is in the cyber world.

Tomorrow morning two of us are heading out from Gravenhurst for a 3.5 hour tour of local lakes and trails. We will be back by 1230.

We would welcome more company, so if anyone is interested in joining us, please let me know in this thread or by pm.

Happy Trails.

Had a great ride today up Lake Rosseau, west on the Seguin, and south to Lake Joseph and return. The lakes and trails were perfect.

Finally got to meet and shake hands with Wildbill. He does actually exist, and is just as awesome and formidable in real life as he is in the cyber world.

Tomorrow morning two of us are heading out from Gravenhurst for a 3.5 hour tour of local lakes and trails. We will be back by 1230.

We would welcome more company, so if anyone is interested in joining us, please let me know in this thread or by pm.

Happy Trails.

It was great to meet you and your friend Tim Horton lol. Hope you had a good ride home.

Tomorrow (Sunday) will be perfect for another run on Lake Muskoka. Sunny with a high of minus ten. I'll truck my sled to the Wharf.  

If there are no other sledders coming along, I'll likely take my number one passenger for a two hour cruise, ending up at the Taboo Fireside Pub for a nice lunch.

If anyone else is interested in going also, just let me know. I might be convinced to travel up Lakes Rosseau and Joe to the Bass Lake Roadhouse.

Blake we are looking for a place to ride tomorrow.

What time are you heading out?

Looking to make a full day of it!!

Hi Mark.

Jennifer and I are going to arrive at the Wharf parking lot beside Highway 169 before 10 tomorrow morning, and hopefully head out on the lake around 10.

I'm not looking for a long day, but if all goes well I would be happy to take the lakes up as far as Bass Lake Roadhouse. We would be there for lunch with ease. If you were looking for a longer ride there would certainly be some good places to branch off if you decided not to come all the way straight back to Gravenhurst.

I hope you can make it !

Blake

Blake, if I can make it up. I would like to check out the back trail from Gull to Kahshe Lake.

Some others are planning to meet at Windermere. Waiting for more details.

The back trail from Kahshe to Gull will be fine. To get from Gull to Lake Muskoka at Taboo may be ok after the wee bit of snow we got today. The road issues are along Jones Road near Muskoka Store All, and at the end of 16 going across Taboo's parking lot to the lake.

I've been avoiding sledding through town for the past week. Not sure if today's snow would have improved the streets very much. Perhaps somewhat. I'm not going to chance it, so I'll truck a few hundred metres to the Wharf.

It is a simple matter to pass by Windermere while taking the lakes from Gravenhurst to Bass Lake. I sledded right in front of Windermere House yesterday, in fact.

If I meet you at the wharf could you lead me to the Windermere House?

Certainly. If we left the Wharf at ten we'd be at Windermere before 11 quite easily.

Archived