Gowganda, Elk Lake, Matachewan Area

Gowganda Lake Camp

Don't hesitate to trailer up here. Trails from KL to Iroquois Falls are groomed and in great shape. Lots of snow. More later.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trails are unbelievable here. We put on over 340 km today. Conditions are like mid February not early April. Can't wait to get back out tomorrow. 

I think I saw your rig parked on the highway just north of Englehart checking out the trail, 100 ft long enclosed trailer.  I almost stopped to offer info.

From KL club:

The groomer was out last night and groomed from Bourkes to Kenogami, then A110Q into Kirkland.

Tonight he will be going to Butler Lake and down the A108 into Kirkland, and around town.

From Cochrane:

70 kms of the TOP A trail all groomed for the weekend.

From Timmins:

Please be advised that the C trail (near Smooth Rock Falls) between A and the A106C is now closed. Landowner negotiations are in progress so please stay off this trail.

Well I didn't make it out this weekend due to minor kitchen renos and electrical work but the club ride report is good.  See here for details: https://www.facebook.com/GoldenCorridorSnowdrifters

Lots of snow and a good base.

We left this yesterday!  Still lots there to enjoy.  Rode into Quebec on Friday they were all freshly groomed!  I hung my suit up at 10,853 km ridden this season.  Just had enough of the drive north and the same trails.  Lots of riding left if you know where to go!

02DF4044-0918-4D3F-BB1B-45DAE09A5066_zps

• 2 weeks later...

That's a good season for sure

Mom and Dad are up there right now still riding back the Beauty Lake Road and into the park, they figure there is lots of riding left if your looking!  It would be strictly logging roads at this point but still there for the hardcore riders.

• 4 weeks later...

Jamie 

Myself and Lep went on a bit of an adventure and i am curious as to how deep we where in.

Lep said you ride the Matatchewan area alot and said you where probably across the now closed C106a that used to head over to the Old Grassy Lake road.

We ventured this way and came to where the bridge was out.

Found our way across the old path, which is probably a beaver dam,this trail is short and swings you back out on to trail on the other side of where the bridge is out.

We then followed the longing road again and it eventually put us at a lake on out left and what looks like a rock quarry.There is large rock wall protecting the right side.

This is where the adventure went bad.

Once around the rock wall it went down hill and i assumed it swung to the right.Did I mention that the trail was now snow drifted in and no tracks !!

Two dumb asses on 1200 renegades ? ! Yup with snow that I never saw bottom.

Luckily I have a Summit so I have some back country experience but POOR Lep....... 

After 2 hours of digging we managed to get on a sun packed trail and just giver to get out.

My question is are you familiar with this reference point on this trail.Its kinda like a rock or gravel quarry.How far would i have been from the Grassy road ?

I explained this to hosts at Auld Reekie and he thinks I was still 30 KM away

Any ideas ?

thanks

Red Green

Jamie

I figured it out with help of Google earth.

We where at Asbestos Mine Rd.it looks like an abandoned spot

I can see where we went left and got off course.The picture on Google earth was a dead give away.

Still not sure exactly how far we where from Grassy lake Road

Red Green

It's hard to guess but I would say in the 30 km area or so, usually I would scale it with my GPS if I were there.  Sounds like fun when were you guys riding?

We where there March 19-24.

We drove through a 9hr blizzard to get to Elk Lake.

Spoke with Lep today about it next year. I am taking the summit and more survival equipment.

What a shame this trail no longer goes through because everyone goes the long way around on the south to get to Gowganda.

Its unfortunate they cannot get enough help in this area as a trail like the L136 suffers.

I am not done yet conquering that trail as I know there is cold beverages at each end  :right_on:

Thanks for the info

Red Green

We where there March 19-24.

We drove through a 9hr blizzard to get to Elk Lake.

Spoke with Lep today about it next year. I am taking the summit and more survival equipment.

What a shame this trail no longer goes through because everyone goes the long way around on the south to get to Gowganda.

Its unfortunate they cannot get enough help in this area as a trail like the L136 suffers.

I am not done yet conquering that trail as I know there is cold beverages at each end :right_on:

Thanks for the info

Red Green

There is a trail that links l136 to long loint lake and back to a107c. This can bypass gowganda headed to metatchewan or vice versa. We use it but it's a bush trail. I have plans to brush and groom it for ourselves for next winter. It basically cuts off l136 runs some logging roads drops down on shillington lake. Cross the lake pick up the logging road and run out to long point lodge or to elk lake.

I will check that out on my back roads maps.

Sounds interesting.

Archived