Gowganda, Elk Lake, Matachewan Area

Gowganda Lake Camp

Thanks Ron and Jamie for all your hard work ,it will make first pass with the groomer go smoothly ,I think i seen green from Liskeard over to elk lake , anything going on in the Matachewan area ?

I have heard no news on this side.  It should really have been open by now its all logging roads from Metatchewan to Elk Lake, of course it always seems issues pop up so it could be just about anything I suppose.

I believe were going to go up, and if things work out here at the office will leave early.  If the big machine has not made it to Elk Lake plans are to groom it with our drag to get things moving.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Jamie. Thank you again so much for packing the trail form Long Point to Elk Lake every year. It certainly makes it easier for the groomer to get through. Thank your Dad as well please.

As for Matachewan area, Groomer "M" had an electrical fire, and Bruce from Golden Eagle Camp is working hard to get it repaired. Before the fire episode, he had groomed from Golden Eagle Camp up through Matachewan and down to the half way point of L136 and then over onto the A trail up to the Englehart River and back to Golden Eagle Camp.

We would like to also thank Bruce and his wife Jennifer for their time, patience and persistence on getting the trails ready for riding.

Urs and Morgan will be out packing again tomorrow from Gowganda to the C trail. If all goes well, grooming will commence again this weekend. Keeping the fingers crossed that all goes better than it has.

Maybe we will see you this weekend!

Hi, Jamie. Thank you again so much for packing the trail form Long Point to Elk Lake every year. It certainly makes it easier for the groomer to get through. Thank your Dad as well please.

As for Matachewan area, Groomer "M" had an electrical fire, and Bruce from Golden Eagle Camp is working hard to get it repaired. Before the fire episode, he had groomed from Golden Eagle Camp up through Matachewan and down to the half way point of L136 and then over onto the A trail up to the Englehart River and back to Golden Eagle Camp.

We would like to also thank Bruce and his wife Jennifer for their time, patience and persistence on getting the trails ready for riding.

Urs and Morgan will be out packing again tomorrow from Gowganda to the C trail. If all goes well, grooming will commence again this weekend. Keeping the fingers crossed that all goes better than it has.

Maybe we will see you this weekend!

You welcome will pass on the thank you to father.

I guess when it rains it tends to pour that's awful that groomer M is down with some BS when we have all this snow.  Makes me wonder how much longer we'll have to wait for that BR180 :D :D :D  Sure would be nice to have a more modern machine with the packing bar like we built.  I see North bay got one.  Sure would be nice to see some actual snow grooming equipment used in this rugged area vs a converted farm tractor.  Do wish the OFSC would realize the ground PSI differential between the two machines and come to realization there is a major difference between grooming fields and flat lands vs power lines, swamps, and lumber cuts.

Hey Jamie...  It's all good.   Maybe we will be lucky enough to get a BR, Piston Bully or similar next time around. The tractor is very nice but is not the right tool for the terrain around Gowganda.  This one is just too heavy and it is more obvious when openning .  When the old TM140 is cycled out we will have to try hard for the other style. Both tractors are good to go again .  Urs has a track down now from Gowganda west to the Wapus  and is finishing the rest of the A107C to the C trail near Shining tree by the weekend.  Too warm to groom predicted for sat. so We should be able to get to Elk lake early next week. Everything is packed from Gowganda to Elk Lake ready for the Tractor.  This warm up should help tighten things up .  :right_on:

Will keep you posted

Ron 

Sure would be nice to see one with a TSI compactor bar on it, trails could be open super early with a machine like that, or at least prepared well ahead of the need for grooming.  Surprised the old bombi works as well as she does at it but it sure makes for a good trail.  I hear you guys have gotten a ton of snow since we were up January 2nd.  I bet where we packed you couldn't even tell again.  Warm weather should make things settle nicely and allow easier grooming once it tightens up I would imagine.  Lots of snow down south here too, most we have had in years and the clubs have been non stop.  Warmer weather and rain are pushing us north for the weekend, might slip in QC for a boot as well.

I'm planning a trip from North Bay - Shining Tree - New Liskeard - North Bat for next weekend.  What's the status of "A" trail just north of Temagami and A107A?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hey Akron , 

Don't have any info at this time for the A trail north of Temagami, Will let you know if I get info on that section.   As for the A107A it is not ready as of now but we are hoping if all goes well this week it might be ready by next weekend.  Waiting for the cold weather to return on tuesday. 

Will keep you posted

Ron 

With all of the headaches and breakdowns with our New Holland Tractor Groomers, we emailed The Shop Industrial in Sudbury to see if they would be willing to demonstrate their Prinoth Husky on our ungroomed trail to see if it would be the right equipment for our club and our terrain. With the help of our District Governer, they graciously agreed. Urs and "young" Mike are out on the A107C as we speak heading towards Elk Lake. Urs has the camera and hopefully he will remember to take pictures and video of how the Husky masters the trail and rough terrain.

Wanted to upload a photo, but it wouldn't let me.  Sorry.

Hello Bob

Akron

Got in touch with the club re the A trail North and this is what he has said as of today.The A trail is good from North Bay to Elk Lake, Elk Lake and KL are having groomer probs and there are not a lot of xtra groomers with all the issues district wide. However, they are working with Club Echo to have the A108 work its way North so there is a N corridor.Alkso Elk Lake and Echo are working together to get the trail open towards Gowganda.

Kelly

Huge thanks to everyone!  You guys are the best.

Looks like we'll be up your way this weekend.  I was most concerned about "A" trail that shows closed on the OFSC map.  The info above helps a great deal.

Thanks again,

met up with Mike and Urs on the trail and was lucky enough to go for a short ride with Mike. It would definitely be a huge benefit to the club if you guys can swing getting the Husky. Walks through the deep snow with ease sporting the packing bar and not pulling a drag. Good work and I will keep my fingers crossed.

Ron

... we emailed The Shop Industrial in Sudbury to see if they would be willing to demonstrate their Prinoth Husky on our ungroomed trail to see if it would be the right equipment for our club and our terrain...

Now there's some smart thinking!  :)  Maybe I should call them and see if they want to "demonstrate" their equipment on some of our unopened Kirkland Lake trails as well.  They could train a few of our operators so they can "demonstrate" for a week!

Seems to me this area has been making out nicely in years past without the husky , is the snow different this year  :icon_lolsign: , now club echo has to take time from their grooming to come in and get these trails open , hope these trails open before spring as this is one of our fav areas to ride 

Actually, YES, the snow is different this year.  Due to extremely cold temps, it's much lighter and harder to pack then previous years.  But now its so warm we're getting very wet snow.  We also hope the trails open before Spring, thanks for the comment.  Everyone is working very hard to make this happen, but if you think we've been "making out nicely" in years past you are sorely mistaken.  The groomer in Matachewan has been on it's last leg for a couple of years now, and we spend as much time working on it as we do grooming.  Thanks to Club Echo for being willing to assist, it's great that they have such better equipment and more volunteers. 

Ron, I think you're familiar with the terrain in Almaguin and some of our nasty hills and long swamps are pretty ugly to open.  Almaguin has been using BR Series and now Husky for 20 years.  Some have criticized the cost 'cuz they were much more than tractors.  Tractors are OK on dry and relatively flat land, but on some terrain the BR's just worked better. (PSI ground bearing pressure?)

For sure, Almaguin's a much bigger club and could better afford them.  (They also own no buildings, ATV's etc., just relatively new groomers).  But like any business dealings, Mike at The Shop Industrial treated Almaguin well as a loyal customer.  Maybe discount a demo unit; maybe a good trade-in unit. 

In the past there have been deals to 'retire' a groomer early from one club to faciliate a good used unit placement where there were more modest resources available.  Hopefully something can be worked out 'cuz everyones season is too short to waste.

Golden Eagle Camp is right.I have been there as they have worked through the night to keep a antique groomer going.

It would be truly better in a museum.

Its unfortunate they have to go into the red to groom an area that is a transitional in getting west from KL and New Liskeard an do it based on minimal permit sales in this area.

All i can say is keep up the great work guys & gals

Hey whits-end. (nice name by the way) yes very familiar with your area. Have been sledding there many times. There is no doubt that the smaller lighter units will handle Gowganda's hills ditches etc much more easily. When I started grooming 7 years ago we had an old Massey. After long runs you were crippled when you got home, but in comparison to the newer bigger tractor it was better for opening trails because it could climb better. Always wanted to try a BR or equivalent but we were just dealt tractors and made it work no matter the conditions. If the club is able to get one in the fleet that would definitely be a benefit and hopefully the newer tractor can move up to Matachawan and replace the old red green beast. It would make for earlier packing at lesser amounts of snow etc. Time will tell. Thanks for your information

Ron

Seems to me this area has been making out nicely in years past without the husky , is the snow different this year  :icon_lolsign: , now club echo has to take time from their grooming to come in and get these trails open , hope these trails open before spring as this is one of our fav areas to ride 

Muskoka Man,

Clearly you have been misinformed and have misconstrued thoughts on what is involved in opening the trails in our area with the equipment that was provide to our club.

If your idea of  “making out nicely in past years without the Husky” includes 9 separate incidents of flat tires which results in a 220 km round trip every time to be repaired that doesn’t include the time to split the track, dismount and remount the tire and reassemble the track again and may we add,  in the middle of the bush; replacing the fuel primer pump two years in a row; replacing the cleats after only 2 years of use;having to replace the tracks after only 5 years of grooming;having frost bite on your fingers from working on the groomers time and time again in -30 degree weather; always being one of the last to open the trails on the OFSC’s interactive map because the Ford New Holland “TRACTORS” struggle through the snow and can barely climb the smallest of hills and continuously leaves the groomer operators stranded in the bush, having to call for help or walk miles to get back home in the cold winter conditions; dealing with nasty emails, phone calls and sarcastic forum posts is a “lol” matter, than I personally invite you to become Club President and Groomer Ops Coordinator “for one of your favorite riding areas “.

Urs Brunner

Club President of E.L.T.B.

705-624-3512

It was just last year we came upon Urs stuck in the bush with a flat tire, we rode back to the lodge to let Diane know.  I think the population of the entire area is about 150, the resources are limited.  But still, this is an extremely well organized group that I think, compete from time to time, but also work together very well.  It was 2 years ago when "C" trail was not going open that all of these people got together, organized a reroute and had it brushed and groomed and ready to go in about a week. 

Yes well said x 2 Urs.

Quite the undertaking to get bypass to Three Bears alone and work around logging.logging. Thats dedication

Thanks for the reply Urs ,didnt know they had you guys working with some tired old machines , maybe the OFSC will give you guys the right machine this time to tackle the hills , sounds like the husky would be the one for your club

Trails update January 15

The A107c has been packed from Gowganda to the C Trail (near Shining Tree and from Gowganda to Elk Lake. The grooming tractor was just here fueling up and headed west. We just received another good snow over the last few days so the trails should be really nice after this pass. I will be signing between Gowganda and elk lake tomorrow. You should start seeing some trails open soon on the OFSC interactive map.

Ron

Trails update January 15.

The A107c has been packed from Gowganda to the C Trail (near Shining Tree and from Gowganda to Elk Lake. The grooming tractor was just here fueling up and headed west. We just received another good snow over the last few days so the trails should be really nice after this pass. I will be signing between Gowganda and elk lake tomorrow. You should start seeing some trails open soon on the OFSC interactive map.

Ron

Archived