Gowganda, Elk Lake, Matachewan Area

Gowganda Lake Camp

Hello Everyone

Winter has kicked off early here this year with snow and some of the coldest temps for December in many years .  We still  need that one big snow to get the trails going.  The lakes have about a foot of ice now and a few sledders are already out running the logging roads .  Hopefully we will get some more snow soon . :icon_snow:  :icon_snow:

Will keep you posted

Ron 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the update Ron. We are looking forward to visiting again this year.

Thanks for the update Ron, had a great visit last winter and this past fall on the ATVs, looking forward to another one this winter with the kids maybe.

Hopefully the loggers get off the trails sooner than later as well, they threw a wrench into my plans a couple weeks back when we wanted to start packing.

Our logging companies over this way are still building their logging roads now....r going home tomorrow until Jan 6 and then back

Welcome to the forum.

Re Shining Tree logging company.

The company staying with us and plowing the road are working down Grassy towards Metagami......it would be a shame if South started working on trails with no connection to us. But again....just a little FYI for the die hard sledders, we have already had sledders up from Capreol and they said it was a great ride

There's always going to be sections that we are going to have to share. One thing we have found is it is usually better to have the trail plowed from the beginning letting the ground freeze up rather than coming in mid February and plowing up the trail to the dirt. It will work out.

I packed from long point to elk lake and back friday.  Packed from long point to sunshine yesterday.  Most snow we have had in  years at xmas.  Rode echos system yesterday morning was excellent.  Hoping our crew gets the big gun out now that the base is setup. 

Merry Christmas to all. Have a Fun and safe Holiday

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Ron and Giselle!  Hope to make it back your way this winter.

Lots of snow last night. Lots to do now so should have alot to start posting soon. Jamie I noticed your tracks from long point towards Elk Lake but didn't think that they went all the way. Did you pack over Can-am creek?? Here is a picture of the snow this morning

post-19905-0-62432900-1388893492_thumb.jpg

nice little dumping eh Ron?  Happy New Years, I hope all is well in Gowganda.

Urs is out packing the A107C west to the C trail this morning after a 35+ cm of snowfall received yesterday. I was out with him until I got stuck and decided it would be best if I came back to the lodge. He would be able to pack a lot faster if he didn't had to help me often. Wish there were more volunteers!

Hey Ron, things didn't go well. The "Tractor" could not climb up a small ditch. Tried filling it in with snow to help climb, but it kept digging down and was just spinning the track, couldn't get up onto the road bed. Shoveled the snow by hand to smooth it out to let it freeze and left the groomer there overnight. This morning went out and started it and tried again. It went over the frozen bridge with ease. Kept grooming for another 1.5 km and ran into more issues. The tractor started sliding into the bush. Stopped it right away knowing fair well that if it went any further, the situation would be worse. A grater operator was near by and pulled me out. Grooming is at a stand still for now.

Packing and grooming and packing and grooming since Dec. 31, 2013, and only thirteen kilometres have been groomed one way. The groomer had to be pulled out twice and broke down once so far. The groomer is struggling to pull through. It is very slow going. The Ford New Holland T6070 was not designed for grooming. It is a farm "Tractor", not a Groomer!

Keep you posted on the next adventure.

Lots of snow out there.  Packing trails today Between Gowgandaq and ElK Lake to get a base set up.  There is about 3 ft of powder to the ground.  Was a beauty day.  Here are a couple pics.  

post-19905-0-52027200-1389142731_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-93060000-1389142759_thumb.jpg

ps.. left out the pictures in the rhubarb ... lol

Ron

spectacular!

Lots of snow last night. Lots to do now so should have alot to start posting soon. Jamie I noticed your tracks from long point towards Elk Lake but didn't think that they went all the way. Did you pack over Can-am creek?? Here is a picture of the snow this morning

Hey bud, sorry we didnt't make it 100% of the way. We packed via bombi to the loggers. We were having problems in the bombi stalling over and over and over. Instead of risking it we turned back. Turns out after lots of gasline antifreeze it was water in the fuel. The bombi has a steel tank I guess that plus the warm garage = lots of condensation. Got it cleared out the next day and did that nasty bush section along beauty lake road.

The remainder of he trail from the loggers to town we finished with the sleds making 8 passes x2 guys. Hope it makes it easier sounds like things are not going to well right now.

Thanks Ron and Jamie for all your hard work ,it will make first pass with the groomer go smoothly ,I think i seen green from Liskeard over to elk lake , anything going on in the Matachewan area ?

Archived