2013/2014 Conditions - Post Updated Reports on Trails

On My AXYS

Let's use this thread to keep an eye on current conditions.  With this weather, is there a chance the trails could be open for Christmas holidays?  Are the trails covered, packed?

If the weather holds, this could be a very good season :drool-1: 

Here is what the rink in Culpepper Park in Waterloo looks like already.

post-21831-0-11464900-1387041932_thumb.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember, I live in town so I do not see what is happening in the country

Very rare to see trails open around K-W before January but it has happened. Someone in our club figured out an average opening date a few years ago. I think it was Jan 20th.

Concidering there is about 3-4 inches on the ground right now and it takes somewhere around 12 before they send out a groomer, It will take a big storm to come through to make that happen. Currently TWN is calling for rain at the end of the week.

At least it has been cold and there is frost in the ground.

There is no base right now! The snow is super light and fluffy! Wind is blowing it off the fields into ditches and against fence lines! The mild spell may help to setup a base, especially if we get wet snow, instead of the rain! Last time I can remember trails being open before Xmas was 2008! 2010 st mary's and Lucan area had unbelievable riding mid December! Could barely find the trail stakes, there was that much snow!

This is the area my g/f and I will be riding this year so ..please...BRING ON THE SNOW !!!!!!

I'm in Simcoe, Delhi area we got about 15 cm over night!!!! can't see my x-mas flood lights. Not sure in the fields we have had a lot of wind with it. There is plenty to take a ripe and do some playing :icon_hyper:  :snow-141:  :snow-141:  :snow-141:  :snow-141:  :snow-141:  :snow-141:  :snow-141:  :snow-141:  :snow-141:  :snow-141:

You should be grateful for cornstalks.  A lot of fields went from plowed to froze overnight with no land leveling. They are ugly and will put a beating on the trail when we get a bit of sun. Some fields are still waiting for the corn to freeze dry before the combine goes out. One of our guys is planning on using the Hilti to get the stakes through the frost when he can get into the field.

St Clements Club got all our plowed fields land levelled but one. 

We got more than was forcast for snow last night.

Let's hope it keeps coming and the rain at the end of the week disappears.

The southern clubs have a lot to cntend with.  I hope the rain in the forcast is no big deal and all it does is tighten up the base.  I am looking forward to some local riding

Just a quick update guys- St.Clements trails are currently in good shape thanks to the hard work of our club volunteers. We are currently trying to get the final inspection completed for sign off. We can't complete the final inspection or do more trail work due to the fact that there is too much drifted snow in ditches and at gate openings to get our 4 wheeler through. On the other hand there isn't enough snow to run sleds through wind blown bare fields. Until this weekend's weather sorts itself out we are on hold. Think Snow!

Thanks BN!  Hey everyone ... when the trails are open you will find a post here letting you know as soon as we can get to a computer!  So keep visiting our St Clements Snowmobile Club threads!  Thanks everyone for your continued support with club memberships, permit purchases and wing night visits!

Happy New Year to everyone! St.Clements trails have had all trails cleaned up from the ice storm. A HUGE THANK YOU to Mike Beam, Brian Craig and his son for volunteering to help with the two day clean up of the bushes and Linwood rail bed. In order to protect crops from damage our trails are not ready to open until we receive more snow. We currently have a solid thin base on most fields. A good dump of snow and we should be good to go! A big THANK YOU to the Linwood volunteers that are out today clearing storm damage on their bush trails. Linwood trails currently have similar base conditions as St Clements trails. We need more snow! Please stay off all trails until we receive more snow. We also have signing to complete to help ensure safe sledding on some Linwood area trails. We hope to have all signing and trails in compliance by the end of the week. THINK SNOW ! !

Thanks Bear for this great up date.  We will be getting significant snow in the next 48 hours, but will it be enough?  Let's hope so.  Thanks to everyone for the work on the trails so far. 

I say we need two 15 cm dumps to open trails, ideally a few days apart so snow can settle. Wait and see.

One 15 cms snowfall might get some trails close to K-W to open but I see nothing in the next 14 days on TWN.

Time to pull the trailer out. Palmerston is limited and from there run north.

I ran Palmerston to Harriston this morning... Hard base with a dusting of powder. Not bad. Ran towards listowel and its a little rough.

Hello All,

I was out just west of Wellesley yesterday and the trails were quite god.  Remarkable given the amount of snow.  Grat job on the trails!.  Anybody want to go for a ride Monday Jan 6.  I still need finish breaking in the new machine.  PM me and we can set something up

St Clements Trails are Limited.

Clubhouse will not be open today due to the short notice. From this point on, when trails are open, the clubhouse will be open Friday evening, Saturday afternoon and evening, and Sunday afternoon.

Clubhouse opening is dependent on volunteer staff. If you can help, we can use you.

Ride safe. :snow-141:

I just cam back from a 40 Mile ride from St Agatha, St. Clements club house, Linwood, Wellesley, Baden, back to St. Agatha.  In the places that the groomer had gone through, the conditions were perfect.  Mostly though there was just a lot of snow..  Once the groomers get though I am sure the only bare spots will be out in the wind blown fields

post-21831-0-95433700-1389049842_thumb.jpg

post-21831-0-28174400-1389049844_thumb.jpg

post-21831-0-90327600-1389049845_thumb.jpg

post-21831-0-74085200-1389049898_thumb.jpg

Looking good! You went right by my house today! Anyone climbing the big hill in at agatha?

I have never been riding in this area before and I was very impressed - the signage, trail marking, everything seemed to be in place where I needed it. did not get lost.

The twisty's through the forests are beautiful

BTW - The gas station in Wellesley was not pumping today - out of regular and the supreme pump was malfunctioning - double check if you are planning to stop there for gas

I always carry extra so I was fine - just a habit I picked up from sledding around the north.  There are not as many gas stations up there.

I have never been riding in this area before and I was very impressed - the signage, trail marking, everything seemed to be in place where I needed it. did not get lost.

The twisty's through the forests are beautiful

BTW - The gas station in Wellesley was not pumping today - out of regular and the supreme pump was malfunctioning - double check if you

are planning to stop there for gas

I always carry extra so I was fine - just a habit I picked up from sledding around the north. There are not as many gas stations up there.

Glad you had a great ride! Milverton is top notch too! I go to gadshill for gas quite often! Did you start from community centre in at agatha?

Archived