I was wondering if Lake Simcoe has ice in yet and how thick itis?

It has ice around the edges and out about 30m from shore. That's how it looked on Monday in the Beaverton area.  

This is a great link for cooks bay ice conditions(southern part of lake simcoe) which always has safe ice first. Peter updates conditions daily with a video report every morning.

http://cooksbayfishingboard.com/thread/8334/peters-icecabins-hour-ice-reports?page=9

Ice on Cooks Bay today, that wasn't there on the weekend.

Sled tracks going out onto ice by someone much braver or stupider than I.. 

Cant be much ice there yet.

Ice on Cooks Bay today, that wasn't there on the weekend.

Sled tracks going out onto ice by someone much braver or stupider than I.. 

Cant be much ice there yet.

Sleds have been riding on cooks bay for a week. I agree, not me. But certainly shaping up to be a banner year.

Sleds have been riding on cooks bay for a week. I agree, not me. But certainly shaping up to be a banner year.

Awesome. Hoping to go from Beaverton to Barrie sometime in late January or February.

Awesome. Hoping to go from Beaverton to Barrie sometime in late January or February.

Feel free to drop me a line. Happy to show you the way.

Feel free to drop me a line. Happy to show you the way.

Sure, I'll keep that in mind.

there is usually a tree line from beaverton harbour out to thorah island & continues out to the fishing grounds..which is about 10 m from barrie...

to be even talking about safe ice on this lake at this time of year is wrong, imop, please stay off the lakes esp simcoe, need at least a week of -20 weather and even at that it will likely be very rough going until we get some decent snow, and as far as the big part of the lake,I never venture there until mid to late jan at the earliest,,, supposed to be plus 8 next fri,,, drove past the ferry yesterday and still open water all through the bay.

took a couple of pics today,,,

20131213_155235_zps8971effd.jpg

20131213_155239_zpse21c3010.jpg

beautiful pics. is that your back yd

It becomes his play ground when it freezes

It becomes his play ground when it freezes

ahhh yes and yours also!!!

beautiful pics. is that your back yd

no,we are not on the $$$lake,lol,about 1/4 mile from the river,pics are from east side Jacksons point,,,

Smith's Bay is freezing up nicely. Wouldn't ride on it yet though.  I did take an old Enticer along the shore - where the water is about 6" normally. Its mostly frozen solid.

PANO_20131214_151524_zpsyltkf5bk.jpg

Welcome to the forum

Smith's Bay is freezing up nicely. Wouldn't ride on it yet though.  I did take an old Enticer along the shore - where the water is about 6" normally. Its mostly frozen solid.

welcome aboard,is that the bay that  takes you over 12 into couche?

Welcome to the forum

Thanks!

welcome aboard,is that the bay that  takes you over 12 into couche?

Yes sir, that is the one. Very top of Simcoe.

Thanks!

Yes sir, that is the one. Very top of Simcoe.

is that Strawberry in the background??

is that Strawberry in the background??

No, the view straight across is pretty much of Atherly. The narrows starts in the middle of the pic. On the right is the point out by Mara Provincial Park.

Still one on my favorite rides. Pefferlaw river to lake simcoe, west past duclos point, stop near the ice road and take a picture of a "bald eagle", keep riding west past sibbald point towards cooks bay. Off the lake and onto trail 521 and work our way up to Midhurst for breakfast. Back on the sleds and head up to cold water and then down the b105c to couchiching and back over to simcoe near McRae and take the lake back to Pefferlaw. Amazing trip but I would never, ever do that ride with out you leading the way. I hope we can do it again this year.

Still one on my favorite rides. Pefferlaw river to lake simcoe, west past duclos point, stop near the ice road and take a picture of a "bald eagle", keep riding west past sibbald point towards cooks bay. Off the lake and onto trail 521 and work our way up to Midhurst for breakfast. Back on the sleds and head up to cold water and then down the b105c to couchiching and back over to simcoe near McRae and take the lake back to Pefferlaw. Amazing trip but I would never, ever do that ride with out you leading the way. I hope we can do it again this year.

Sounds like a great ride!  But I agree, there are very few people that I would follow out onto Simcoe, Ceyhoopers and OF7 being two of them.

Archived