Hydro Property - Cost for use proposal

yamahas

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok first lets just agree to something here so this doesn't end up as a 28 page topic about what party sucks more than the other.

They all suck.... The Lib screwed us with E-Heath, Orange, gas plants, green engery. PC screwed us on 407, education, Bruce Nuclear, deregulation of electricy. NDP, well where to even start there. They all suck, smart people don't get in to politics, people who like to be popular and the centre of attention get in to politics.

Ok back to the matter at hand...

First off, I didn't know Hyrdo One paid property tax on their power line right aways. Hyrdo One is a goverment compay, so doesn't that make it crown land? How's this work for rail beds, who actually owns those now adays?

Second, does seem a little crazy to just asked the sled clubs to cover the taxes and fence fees when ATV clubs and Hyrdo One crews use these same acces roads.

Now let's look at it from the other side... What is the difference from say a farmer saying, you want to seld on my land, well your going to pay the taxes and fix the fences. He would have that right and the club would just move or close the trail. Hard to do that here as there are thousands of trails along power line right of ways.

Last, where in the frig is the OFSC on this one? Anyone hear about this at the AGM or from their clubs? If it goes in to effect January 1 2014, it's been in the planning for months or years, and I'm sure Hydro One has kept the OFSC in the loop. Government run companies don't change a light bulb without first studying it for months and spending lots of money. This idea didn't just get drawn up overnight.

It did however seem the Lib member answering the question, did seem a little more confused than normal about what was going on. It is posable he knew nothing about this. Not everything Hyrdo One does has to be approved by the Minster of Engery, hell it's a good chance even the CEO of Hyrdo One knew nothing about this.

Most likely this was the brain child of some mid level manager who sits in a downtown office and has never even seen a snowmobile or who found sled tracks across the lawn of their Muskoka cottage last winter and figured I'll fix them.

This is the same Minister that is involved with the Kenora issue - allowing Minnesota & Manitoba to ride for free. Sure, just what we need, fewer permits in a District already subsidised over $200,000 by the rest of us.

The money issue is bad enough, but they also want us to route the trail in an almost impossible fashion to be far away from towers & guy wires. I know it's a safety issue, but we have a trail route that has operated safely for over 25 years.

Watch out for HydroOne guys. They could be our next big issue. sad2.gif

Ok first lets just agree to something here so this doesn't end up as a 28 page topic about what party sucks more than the other.

They all suck.... The Lib screwed us with E-Heath, Orange, gas plants, green engery. PC screwed us on 407, education, Bruce Nuclear, deregulation of electricy. NDP, well where to even start there. They all suck, smart people don't get in to politics, people who like to be popular and the centre of attention get in to politics.

Agreed! I did not post it for a political debate, more interested in the OFSC side of things.

Nothing was mentioned at AGM about this!

Also, the minister's portfolio was for infrastructure and we (usually) fall under Tourism or MTO.

This is scary.

Has anyone see a paper version of what Hydro One is trying to do?

It's not uncommon for our elected officials, to shoot their mouths off without making sure their brain is loaded first.

If true, it should have been raised at AGM.  

Someone in Springwater was on the ball for contacting their PC candidate (substitute "opposition member" if you want, but I like the sound of "PC" :) )

First off, I didn't know Hyrdo One paid property tax on their power line right aways. Hyrdo One is a goverment compay, so doesn't that make it crown land? How's this work for rail beds, who actually owns those now adays?

Second, does seem a little crazy to just asked the sled clubs to cover the taxes and fence fees when ATV clubs and Hyrdo One crews use these same acces roads.

Now let's look at it from the other side... What is the difference from say a farmer saying, you want to seld on my land, well your going to pay the taxes and fix the fences. He would have that right and the club would just move or close the trail. Hard to do that here as there are thousands of trails along power line right of ways.

Last, where in the frig is the OFSC on this one? Anyone hear about this at the AGM or from their clubs? If it goes in to effect January 1 2014, it's been in the planning for months or years, and I'm sure Hydro One has kept the OFSC in the loop. Government run companies don't change a light bulb without first studying it for months and spending lots of money. This idea didn't just get drawn up overnight.

It did however seem the Lib member answering the question, did seem a little more confused than normal about what was going on. It is posable he knew nothing about this. Not everything Hyrdo One does has to be approved by the Minster of Engery, hell it's a good chance even the CEO of Hyrdo One knew nothing about this.

Most likely this was the brain child of some mid level manager who sits in a downtown office and has never even seen a snowmobile or who found sled tracks across the lawn of their Muskoka cottage last winter and figured I'll fix them.

Dave this issue has been around 10yrs or so btw with Hydro One

I have posted it in the past on here,HCS,FS sites

\

It comes down to the lawsuit happy society we have in todays world

As a Snowmobiler that rides 75 % of my k's on hydro lines in northern Ontario this is sad to hear but no surprising that Hydro One has established another way to pull more money out of tax payers and groups.If they where half as good at looking after their own affairs they would not have to rely on others to support their ill managed organization.

As a Snowmobiler that rides 75 % of my k's on hydro lines in northern Ontario this is sad to hear but no surprising that Hydro One has established another way to pull more money out of tax payers and groups.If they where half as good at looking after their own affairs they would not have to rely on others to support their ill managed organization.

Well said.

x2

you have to see this everyone if this does happen there will be a lot of closed trails this year causing major problems everywhere. WTF? is wrong with hydro we get gouged enough. I hope this dosen't go through. please watch and share we need to figure out who to contact to make sure this dosen't happen.

Just saw that someone already started a post about this sorry guys and gals.

Understatement for sure. Bet you didn't know one of the side businesses Hydro One is in is providing data network connectivity did you. One of our customers in our data centre is a provincial government agency. They need a dedicated network connection to a provincial government system in another site. The provider of that is Hydro One. In our data centre we install all of the hardware and do all of the cabling. Hydro One union has a problem with that since that endagers the need for their people. So to justify their job they send a person in who sits on a stool doing absolutely nothing while my people install the media converter cables switches and Junipers. When we are done a couple of hours later he leaves after doing absolutely nothing.

Understatement for sure. Bet you didn't know one of the side businesses Hydro One is in is providing data network connectivity did you. One of our customers in our data centre is a provincial government agency. They need a dedicated network connection to a provincial government system in another site. The provider of that is Hydro One. In our data centre we install all of the hardware and do all of the cabling. Hydro One union has a problem with that since that endagers the need for their people. So to justify their job they send a person in who sits on a stool doing absolutely nothing while my people install the media converter cables switches and Junipers. When we are done a couple of hours later he leaves after doing absolutely nothing.

Good god your union bashing is unreal 02

That one guy ensures that the job is done to Hydro standards and no corners are cut, that is a Hydro MANAGEMENT DECISION!!!

No offense you are out of your league on your comments here bud and your union bashing rosy glasses are clouding you mind

Good god your union bashing is unreal 02

That one guy ensures that the job is done to Hydro standards and no corners are cut, that is a Hydro MANAGEMENT DECISION!!!

No offense you are out of your league on your comments here bud and your union bashing rosy glasses are clouding you mind

As far as out of my league. Sorry but you are wrong. This is my area of expertise and I am recognized for that expertise in the industry. Later this month I am speaking at an industry conference as subject matter expert. First their primary responsibility actually lies in bringing the service to the demark point. Our standards border on anal and exceed what is spec'd. They wanted to use a no name generic data cable we will not use when they sent us what was being installed for both copper and fibre. Our patch cables for copper and fibre are the actual length needed. They shipped 12 ft. copper patch cables and the longest we used was 4 ft. avoiding a coiled up mess. Hydro would have been the ones cutting the corners. He didn't check a single thing. He sat there on his laptop. When we said we were done he simply said thanks and left. Our customer had already toured the site before they signed the contract. They are currently in other sites and are moving out of those sites into ours. They told us they have never seen the same level of attention to detail in any of their other sites.  Basically a waste of time and resource on Hydro's part.

As far as out of my league. Sorry but you are wrong. This is my area of expertise and I am recognized for that expertise in the industry. Later this month I am speaking at an industry conference as subject matter expert. First their primary responsibility actually lies in bringing the service to the demark point. Our standards border on anal and exceed what is spec'd. They wanted to use a no name generic data cable we will not use when they sent us what was being installed for both copper and fibre. Our patch cables for copper and fibre are the actual length needed. They shipped 12 ft. copper patch cables and the longest we used was 4 ft. avoiding a coiled up mess. Hydro would have been the ones cutting the corners. He didn't check a single thing. He sat there on his laptop. When we said we were done he simply said thanks and left. Our customer had already toured the site before they signed the contract. They are currently in other sites and are moving out of those sites into ours. They told us they have never seen the same level of attention to detail in any of their other sites.  Basically a waste of time and resource on Hydro's part.

Again Hydro has a standard be it better or worse then what you guys use, they need to ensure you guys meet their standards and not cut corners. Your company does not cut corners, good for them :) But many companies do not and need to be babysat. If something goes wrong it is his but on the line as he was there to make sure it was done to Hydro standards.

Again Hydro has a standard be it better or worse then what you guys use, they need to ensure you guys meet their standards and not cut corners. Your company does not cut corners, good for them :) But many companies do not and need to be babysat. If something goes wrong it is his but on the line as he was there to make sure it was done to Hydro standards.

Then why didn't he even look at what my team had done?

Sad and they just raised our hydro rates by 6 percent on mov 1, for a total of about 11 percent this year. Ontario is doomed!

Sad and they just raised our hydro rates by 6 percent on mov 1, for a total of about 11 percent this year. Ontario is doomed!

Did an acorn hit you on the head?

huh

As in Chicken Little, "The sky is falling!"  Good one!

Did an acorn hit you on the head?

Ontario's power is way more expensive then michigian, new York and quebec is 60 percent cheaper then Ontario now. This concerns me. How are business that use a fair bit of power suppose to compete with area's around us.

Archived