email the cheap bastards - why are you not buying map ads?

slomo

This post has been edited due to new information from revrnd. It previously stated that the Best Western in Bancroft did not buy a map advertisement. In fact, they did for district 2. I apologize for the error. I was working with the best information I had which was received at the sled show. Bancroft Motor Inn has bought no map ads.

While at the sled show, got talking to the guy in the booth for the district in which Bancroft is located. Was amazed and disappointed to find out that the Bancroft Motor Inn had not been buying map advertisements to support the local clubs that build the white brick road of profits practically to their door.

When I think of the spindly mom and pop motels / lodges in the Parry Sound area that generously buy advertisemensts every year, the behaviour of the Bancroft establishments makes me sick. Bancroft Motor Inn makes tons of money from sledders when the trails are open and do squat in return.

So, if you've got a few minutes, here is the contact information for Bancroft Motor Inn - just send them an email asking why they are not supporting the local sledding clubs through the purchase of map advertising.

Bancroft Motor Inn main site:

http://www.bancroftinnandsuites.com/

Online form for comments:

http://www.bancroftinnandsuites.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=5

email address:

reservations@bancroftmotorinn.com

you are 50% right on this  slomo...

Email sent. Told have to look for somewhere else to stay that supports the ofsc.

Slomo I don't think the person you were talking knew what he was talking about. The Best Western does have a map ad on this year's Dist' 2 map! I haven't recycled last season's map yet. There was an BW in it as well.

Perhaps someone who doesn't like the motel or hasn't looked @ the neighbouring districts' maps?

No ad in the Dist' 6 map though this year. The BW must've made the decision that most of their traffic comes from the south. Are businesses that are located where districts meet expected to buy ads in each map?

Slomo I don't think the person you were talking knew what he was talking about. The Best Western does have a map ad on this year's Dist' 2 map! I haven't recycled last season's map yet. There was an BW in it as well.

Perhaps someone who doesn't like the motel or hasn't looked @ the neighbouring districts' maps?

No ad in the Dist' 6 map though this year. The BW must've made the decision that most of their traffic comes from the south. Are businesses that are located where districts meet expected to buy ads in each map?

As a business I would want to have both

Thanks revrnd for pointing that out. I have since revised my original post.

Thanks revrnd for pointing that out. I have since revised my original post.

i too,revised my original post

you are 50% right on this  slomo...

WD,

You can be such a 

post-19774-0-04300100-1383097952_thumb.jpg

sometimes.

Hahahahaha.

(original photo credit to STG or LMV, I believe)

WD,

You can be such a 

attachicon.gifDickhead.jpg

sometimes.

Hahahahaha.

It's okay....I deserved it. Have all my maps spread out so the ink will dry and should have double checked. However, I count on the local knowledge I get when I ask questions at the district booths at the show, particularly with accomodation on the trails etc. Another    Lesson     Learned.  Sigh

WD,

You can be such a 

attachicon.gifDickhead.jpg

sometimes.

Hahahahaha.

now that is funny...think that pic may resurface here & there

It's okay....I deserved it. Have all my maps spread out so the ink will dry and should have double checked. However, I count on the local knowledge I get when I ask questions at the district booths at the show, particularly with accomodation on the trails etc. Another Lesson Learned. Sigh

Sometimes the folks @ the booth may not be familiar w/ the area. When I helped out @ the Dist' 2 booth a few years ago, the other chap was from the Somerville club. If someone had asked about some of the other clubs, we wouldn't have been able to help.

Sometimes the folks @ the booth may not be familiar w/ the area. When I helped out @ the Dist' 2 booth a few years ago, the other chap was from the Somerville club. If someone had asked about some of the other clubs, we wouldn't have been able to help.

Exactly. I help out in the D7 booth and know our trails and the trails of nearby clubs well since I ride them. I also know some of the trails in the next district well. If someone asks me about Huntsville for example I will tell them I don't know and will try to put them in touch with someone who does or hopefully the other person helping out knows that area.

Buying map ads, I wish.

We can't get even get business owners to properly stake spur trails to their businesses.

Yet they have time to place signs all over the main trail directing sledders to the businesses.

I'd elaborate but I'd blow a gasket.

if I could spend a couple hours directing hundreds of customers to my business I'd be on that like a pit bull on a poodle.

Yet they have time to place signs all over the main trail directing sledders to the businesses.

I know exactly what you mean. There was a business owner here in town that had his signs up even on neighbouring clubs' trails. Almost as bad as the Smitty's signs in central Ontario.

Buying map ads, I wish.

We can't get even get business owners to properly stake spur trails to their businesses.

if I could spend a couple hours directing hundreds of customers to my business I'd be on that like a pit bull on a poodle.

I'd be real tempted to pull down their unauthorized signs in the blink of an eye.

I'd be real tempted to pull down their unauthorized signs in the blink of an eye.

x2

Almost as annoying as those signs affixed to highway traffic signs; lamp-posts in Toronto. 

If they're not contributing to a club, but merely benefitting, it's garbage. We once followed some bozo's sign to a restaurant for 10 kms, only to find out they were closed weekdays. Dumb*ss.

Our club has a  price per sign with a discount for multiple signs, we also control the size  and also colour that a business sign can be. If we have signs put up with out permission we remove them and contact the owner and return ther signs. We explain nicely that there is a fee to advertise on our trails and that signs must be installed by the club. We do this now because of the risk management factor, we had some business putting signs between stop and stop ahead even a few above or below stop signs.

If signs are reinstalled with out club pemission they are removed and not returned.

Our club has a  price per sign with a discount for multiple signs, we also control the size  and also colour that a business sign can be. If we have signs put up with out permission we remove them and contact the owner and return ther signs. We explain nicely that there is a fee to advertise on our trails and that signs must be installed by the club. We do this now because of the risk management factor, we had some business putting signs between stop and stop ahead even a few above or below stop signs.

If signs are reinstalled with out club pemission they are removed and not returned.

:right_on:

Has this policy caused the club any grief?

The business person Voodoo is referring to is an apparent "proud supporter" of our club as they advertise..BS called. Can't fulfill their agreement with our club to stake and sign and brush but god damn it, the minute the trail is open they plaster it with signs...

:right_on:

Has this policy caused the club any grief?

No most people undestand when you take the time to explain it. I tend to use the risk management thing to help out also explaining the cost of the trails and also that our trails are on private property . That said up in our area not many business can afford the  extra cost of signs these day's so it has not been an issue the last few years. Lets not forget these signs are going on private property so i also make sure the landowner does not object to a sign for a business being put up on there property. Believe me i have been told NO!!! to a sign more than once but for the most part your landowners have no problem with it. The name of the game is keep the land owner happy thats why we make sure any money from signage is ear marked for our landowner  appreciation telling your business this also helps . 

I was going through the Snowcrest Riders Map today and noticed a high profile supporter missing.  What happen to Boston Pizza @ the Wharf in Gravenhurst?  Did they advertise on the District map?

I was going through the Snowcrest Riders Map today and noticed a high profile supporter missing.  What happen to Boston Pizza @ the Wharf in Gravenhurst?  Did they advertise on the District map?

it seems like all trails lead to a boston pizza...midland,wasaga,gravenurst,orillia....they are usually within a stone's throw away for trail...they profit from sledders in season for sure,should buy map spots

I'll check the district maps, if no sign of them, then scratch them off the list of places to support.

Archived