NRSA - Season 2013/2014

NRSA would like to thank you for your continuing support by buying your 2013/2014 OFSC permits!  Our club volunteers have been very busy over the season, completing refurishment of our groomer, trail projects and fundraising! Again some of our trails were hit by a August windstorm, but will be ready for the upcoming season.  Hats off to all NRSA volunteers!

Storm Damage

That bad wind storm in August took its toll on trail 132 on the park-line side. The destruction of trees goes on for about 1 ½ km. It’s very dangerous and way too much for our volunteers to reopen without equipment. Our club trail coordinator is in the process of hiring a contractor to open the trail for the upcoming season. 

Trail improvements for Upcoming Season

Last year's reroute of TOPS A trail on the pipeline near Fountain Lake to about ½ km east of hill at Pergeron Lake had additional work completed to improve sight lines & eliminated some corners and widen the trail over the existing culverts. The other project completed was on the TOPS A trail just west of the Trail 131/TOPS A intersection, the trail work included improving sight lines, widening/brusing and eliminating some sharp corners. Club trail 134 has been widened/brushed and an ongoing trouble area fixed as the club hired a local contractor for the 4 km strength of trail and it's ready for the upcoming season.  I cannot wait to ride my sled over these trail improvements!

Groomer Update

Last season our dedicated non-paid volunteer groomer operators logged 653 hours in just over 13 weeks of grooming. Clair and his guys just never stopped ensuring that we had the best groomed trails! BUT wait, the work did not stop there! Last fall our grant application for a new groomer was not successful, so these volunteers limped the groomer through the season without any major breakdowns.

So to ensure that we are ready for the upcoming season this group of dedicated volunteers went to work. This past summer this dedicated group of volunteers took it upon themselves to refurbish our 1999 New Holland TS110 groomer. Groomer repairs completed by this group of volunteers included new tracks, new tires, 1 new rim, new water pump, new hoses, new grill screen, rebuilt alternator, rebuilt radiator, new frontend bearings, repacking of bearings, turbo checked, valve adjustments, rebuilt hydraulic cylinder and a new paint job. These volunteers saved the club a lot of dollars, as the cost to the club was for parts only! HATS OFF TO A GREAT GROOMER COORDINATOR AND HIS TEAM!

post-21258-0-28140600-1384264753_thumb.jpgpost-21258-0-90116900-1384264998_thumb.jpg

Colder weather is here!  So tune up your sled and hopefully you get a chance to ride NRSA trails this season!

• 1 month later...

Trails are groomer ready, except for trail 132 (parkline side), major wind storm has made about 1 1/2 km of the trail impossible for volunteers to clear the trail. The club is waiting for MNR approval to have a local contractor clean up the trail with their equipment.  Hopefully we will hear this week, as time is tickling away for this work to be completed before the season start!

• 3 weeks later...

The groomer has been out steady packing and as of today the A-Trail and trail 131 are now open!  It's early in the season, so please use caution when out on the trails and if you see a rock or branch on the trail, please stop and remove it.  I was out on Saturday rode from Rolphton to Deep River (A-trail) and then did the trail 131 put on 100km and it was pretty good for early riding. I'm planning on going out again today so I will post any updates.  Trail 132 will remain closed on the parkline section, as it was hit bad with a wind storm & it is not passable, local contractor will be going in with equipment after Christmas. 

kcc

thx for updates...will definitelyhit your trails again,when we do the ''rap'' tour again...

How soon until the section between Deep River and Deux Rivieres is ready to ride? I have friends in town and looking forward to getting up there to ride the same areas we spend our summers.

Thanks for all the hard work!!

NRSA trails that are officially opened (limited) are A-trail east of Chalk River to west of Rolphton, plus trail 131.  Trail 134 has been packed but not open yet.  Missing Link have not opened any trails yet, but I believe they are packing trails and I don't know when they will be open, but I will post as soon as I hear anything.

Thanks for the updates KCC.  We were up to the Tim Horton's in Deep River yesterday, the NRSA trails were great!

Thanks and glad to are enjoying our trails!  Missing Links trails are now open as well, please check the OFSC interactive map for more details.  

KCC, Thanks for the updates. Headed up to your area for the first time ever this weekend to play in the frigid weather.

Jim

Just wanted to let you all know that part of trail 132 (parkline section) will not be open this season, this section of trail was hit by a large wind storm, we were waiting on an MNR permit, which we got on Thursday Dec 19. However the local contractor tried to go in and do the work just after Christmas, but to much snow and safety issue, so this trail work will not be completed till the off season.

That is an impressive amount of time, effort and cash in the New Holland groomer.  I hope it rewards you folks this year with a trouble free season. Hats off to all who contributed! 

653 hours on one unit in one season is impressive. I coordinate a BR180 west of Ottawa and we go darn near nightly, as weather allows and avg. just over 200 hours per season.  We are off to a record start this year... starting grooming Dec 15 and already about 2000 liters of diesel poured into smooth trails. 

Enjoy the winter... hope to make through Deep River some time this year... perhaps for a late season run when the grass is poking through in Ottawa 

I was out for a ride yesterday did the A-trail from Deep River to Harvey Lake, 131, 138, plus missing link's 191 & 193 all were in great shape.  Now we got another 7 inches of snow from the big storm!  

• 2 weeks later...

Was out on the trails today, A-trail saw lot of traffic this weekend, groomer is out heading on west of A-trail from Deep River to Harvey Lake.  Last night, the groomer did the A-trail from Deep River to club line east.  Got about 4 inches of fresh snow over the weekend & its snowing again. Club trails are in great shape, 131 trail was awesome today!  

I stayed in Deep River this weekend and drove the trails on Saturday and Sunday and had a great time and the trails were great.  I wasnt aware of the poker run till a little to late so I didn't get a chance to participate but I did see alot of people out enjoying the trails.  I have attached a few photos to show how scenic and nice the trails were this weekend (Sorry some of the pics are from the neighbouring Missing Link Trails) .  Hope you all enjoy and I will be back again soon!

post-23508-0-68843600-1390187780_thumb.jpg

post-23508-0-30605500-1390187788_thumb.jpg

post-23508-0-36409600-1390187798_thumb.jpg

post-23508-0-50796300-1390187807_thumb.jpg

post-23508-0-31580700-1390187968_thumb.jpg

post-23508-0-64004800-1390187980_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the report.

Almontesledder,  Thanks for your report, great to see the pictures!. Don't be sorry about posting some pics from Missing Link, they are our good neighboring club & have awesome trails too!.

Hey Karen, did the missing link get their brusher down your way. Was talkin to one the members and I guess they had been having issues at one point with the brusher / tractor. I did see it our on Friday, but then seen it parked on the side of the trail later in the day. On Saturday, it looked like they had some folks working on it. I was on some of the NRSA trails and they looked pretty good as far as brush compared to part of the A trail heading towards Mattawa. That 131 is a real nice trail. Road it twice last weekend.

Missing Link were out on Monday & were able to limp the tractor/brusher to Stonecliffe on Monday, thanks to their dedicated volunteers. The tractor had to be sent out for repairs & they are hoping to have it back on the trails later on this week.  The brusher is needs repairs, which they are working on, if all goes well it may make its way down to our trail next week. Cold here this morning -33.5 at 6:30am, I think I park the sled for the day!

Trail 131 is one of my favorite trails to ride! I rode it 3 times this past weekend as well, Next time you up, if you see a blue apex xtx if might be me! 

One of these days were bound to run into each other, well not literally I hope.

A little chill on the trails today, but they are in great shape!  Getting a little snow flurries now, to add to all the snow that is out there now!  Our club snowmobile poker run is this Saturday, hope to see some of you out there!  

Was out on NRSA trails today, groomer coordinator & operators have the trails in mint condition!  I sure had a great day on the trails!  Thank you!

Wish I was there, and yes the groomer operators in this area are some of the best ive seen..

• 1 month later...

Trails are still in great shape up here!  Got about 3 inches of fresh powder yesterday!  Looks like it may stay cold this week!

Archived