2013-2014 permits

X dooer

but if you an American you save $2.50 on the $210 permit, as on top of the $7.50 you also have to pay $20, so $27.50 + 180 = $207.50

I know a few that avoid this by just getting it sent to a Canadian friend/address

freezy, it would be hard to ship to another address especially in another country. many cc banks wont let you bill to one address, and send to another, due to the amount of internet cc fraud. Ski

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very disappointed to hear about the $20 additional fee for our American buyers.

This will cost our Club sales for sure.

Why would the ofsc do that? Makes no sense to

me. Unless there is custom charges do to the value being over 50 bucks. Everyime I order autoparts from the states, I pay broker fees in the 20 buck range. This could be the reason.

Mail it to me and I'll mail it to you.... No charge!

Sorry I'm a bit behind.  Thanks for the offer.

I don't mind the extra $$$ if it means the club to which I decide the funds should go actually get those funds.  I think that if I order direct, those folks will look after themselves before they worry about the rest of the "Federation".  That's what I would do.

I'll call D'Ville club directly for my permit(s).

Very disappointed to hear about the $20 additional fee for our American buyers.

This will cost our Club sales for sure.

x2 

From the posts above, it's being mailed regular mail. A bit more to ship to U.S., but c'mon. If it's by 'tracked shipping' (Canada Post, UPS) then it's understandable. 

I'll bet that back in the day, clubs would mail to the States for a 'bit' more. Now that some company has the contract, it's $20 more.

Who received the contract that required "online" only sales and a fixed $7.50 charge (plus $20 to U.S.) ? Anyone know? Can't be a secret with MTO involved.

Not a good buzz about online sales up north this weekend, at all. From mid 20's to mid 60's - would've preferred to buy locally. 

x2 

From the posts above, it's being mailed regular mail. A bit more to ship to U.S., but c'mon. If it's by 'tracked shipping' (Canada Post, UPS) then it's understandable. 

I'll bet that back in the day, clubs would mail to the States for a 'bit' more. Now that some company has the contract, it's $20 more.

Who received the contract that required "online" only sales and a fixed $7.50 charge (plus $20 to U.S.) ? Anyone know? Can't be a secret with MTO involved.

Not a good buzz about online sales up north this weekend, at all. From mid 20's to mid 60's - would've preferred to buy locally. 

I can see where there is a desire by both OFSC and MTO to capture accurate data and only one permit per sled VIN. I can also see an opportunity for someone to make money. Go out and buy a whack of $180 permits early if you could do it at your local permit seller where the VIN number is typically left blank then start selling them on Kijiji.

x2 

http://www.themarcocorporation.ca/marcohome/index.cfm

Thanks, Zoso.

Bottom line is everyone has to make money. I have no problem paying the 7.50. Like sledjunk reported lots of expenses to be paid out. Most business have a 30 percent markup at least. As for the extra 20 to the u.s seems abit fishy. They will wait and buy them next Month in person. After nov2, can you buy the 210 pass from your club??

Just heard from NY buyers that wanted to buy online after getting our email.

Once they saw the $27.50 surcharge for

Americans they said it wasn't worth it and I

agree.

They will be coming during the free weekend anyways! Maybe buy a 3 day pass to extend their stay! This is part of the problem too and the extra 20 just kills the early season sale!

Just heard from NY buyers that wanted to buy online after getting our email.

Once they saw the $27.50 surcharge for Americans they said it wasn't worth it and I agree.

It just doesn't seem right.  You want to attract us "tourists" but we have to bend over first?  If I'm feeling screwed about the permit fees; how can I be sure that when I choose district "X" for my support that's actually where my funds will go?  I know I have a better shot if I order direct from the club of my choice.  I appreciate all of the feedback.

It just doesn't seem right.  You want to attract us "tourists" but we have to bend over first?  If I'm feeling screwed about the permit fees; how can I be sure that when I choose district "X" for my support that's actually where my funds will go?  I know I have a better shot if I order direct from the club of my choice.  I appreciate all of the feedback.

Buy your permit directly from the club. At least $20 more dollars will go to the trails.

I can see where there is a desire by both OFSC and MTO to capture accurate data and only one permit per sled VIN. I can also see an opportunity for someone to make money. Go out and buy a whack of $180 permits early if you could do it at your local permit seller where the VIN number is typically left blank then start selling them on Kijiji.

You still need your name on the permit papers, I am sure someone would catch that quickly

You still need your name on the permit papers, I am sure someone would catch that quickly

Just like there are people that take their chances riding without a permit there would likely be even more willing to take their chances with having a permit but just not the paper that matches it. In all the years of riding I have not once been asked to provide the permit paper work.

Just like there are people that take their chances riding without a permit there would likely be even more willing to take their chances with having a permit but just not the paper that matches it. In all the years of riding I have not once been asked to provide the permit paper work.

That would be because there is no law requiring you to do so.

That would be because there is no law requiring you to do so.

Opp will ask for the paper work and verify the permit numbers match. I ran into them several times last winter, they are out there.

Purchased my Classic Trail Permit online today and it was super easy as all the sled & personal info was already there online including my club of choice, North Bay Snowmobilers Club.

Best part, no $7.50 Fulfillment Fee, just the $140.00 as I chose Standard Delivery.

I hope everyone was as easy as mine.

Thought I had some people talked into buying the season permit again (it has been a few years since they bought OFSC Permits) until the extra $20 on top of the shipping and handling came into play.

They said they will ride in Michigan and just do the free weekend again in Ontario.  What a surprise and let down! 

I will just buy direct from the Club I wish to support.

No consistency in surcharge costs.

I just bought my Classic Trail Permit for $140 with NO handling or delivery charges as I just chose regular mail delivery.

Early, Early Bird is $180 + $7.50 charge to cover handling, credit card fee and mailing which I think is quite reasonable.

The Americans get dinged an additional $20.00 on top of the $7.50 for additional delivery charges which I can only presume is super fast with a signed receipt and tracking number.

ya know what, my IHRA membership and licence is additional $50 if I want the DR magazine. It is because of cross boarder mailing, I gotta wonder if the extra money is really for shipping the magazines. It is something that should be brought up at a district meeting, I am sure a governor should be able to get the answer. If that is the reason, they should be able to opt. out of the magazine and save the extra $20 fee.

No consistency in surcharge costs.

I just bought my Classic Trail Permit for $140 with NO handling or delivery charges as I just chose regular mail delivery.

Early, Early Bird is $180 + $7.50 charge to cover handling, credit card fee and mailing which I think is quite reasonable.

The Americans get dinged an additional $20.00 on top of the $7.50 for additional delivery charges which I can only presume is super fast with a signed receipt and tracking number.

Only speculating but US customs may view a trail permit as a product which may require a declaration document to be properly legal. This would possibly explain extra costs. I know I have shipped things to the US and had shipped from the US to me all between our own company sites and still had to do the customs declaration forms. The smallest I sent was a door key by FedEx and had to do a declaration.

Ok now if someone buys a hundred trail passes all without names, reg numbers and plate numbers. Even if that was possible to do and no flags came up sending all those to the same person. It cost them 187:50 each for them they only have a 22 dollar margin to play with before Dec 1rst. Much more after then, but they have to lay out 18750:00 and before Dec 1 could only make maybe 10 bucks or a thousand dollars profit. Sounds good better after Dec 1rst with a 30 to 40 dollar profit but they had better hope they sell them all as 20 unsold permits kills the profit and you loose money. Then on top of that selling 100 permits on line increases the risk of getting caught selling permits ileagaly.

Now the permits are sold and the OFSC has the money so if someone thinks that they can make a bundle selling permits go ahead and buy a thousand please it only helps us out. The more sleds out there with permits the better.

Opp will ask for the paper work and verify the permit numbers match. I ran into them several times last winter, they are out there.

Well then you need to call their office and advise their boss that the cop is asking for paperwork that is not mandatory to carry. Again, there is no law stsating that any paperwork pertaining to the permit needs to be carried. That is not to saty as you stated that you will not encounter cops that are ignorant to the laws and make them up on their own.

Well then you need to call their office and advise their boss that the cop is asking for paperwork that is not mandatory to carry. Again, there is no law stsating that any paperwork pertaining to the permit needs to be carried. That is not to saty as you stated that you will not encounter cops that are ignorant to the laws and make them up on their own.

From the Motorized Snow Vehicles Act:

Trail permits

3.  (1)  A person shall not be issued a trail permit unless the person completes the application in full and pays the fee established by the Minister. O. Reg. 185/01, s. 3 (1).

(2)  A trail permit is valid until the 31st day of May after the date the permit is issued. O. Reg. 185/01, s. 3 (2).

(3)  A trail permit shall be affixed to the motorized snow vehicle,

(a) at the bottom edge of the centre of the windshield; or

(B) on top of and to the left of centre of the engine cowling as close as possible to the centre of the windshield, without obscuring or being obscured by the registration number required to be displayed on the vehicle. O. Reg. 185/01, s. 3 (3).

Going by "3. (1)"  How do you prove to the cop that you have filled out the application.  If a cop asks for it and you start to hassle him about the laws you are probably going to be stuck there for a while.  It's much easier to keep the copy you get with the permit with the sleds ownership and insurance. 

Archived