Any hope left for Muskoka this year?

lakejoe

Most trails across Muskoka are closed now, but with the snow forecasted this week, is there any chance we could see the trails reopened?

Or is the region done for the year?

Most trails across Muskoka are closed now, but with the snow forecasted this week, is there any chance we could see the trails reopened?

Or is the region done for the year?

Sorry to say it, but I think we're likely done around here. Almost all roads are now bare, which will change temporarily with this coming storm, but the forecast is for sunny and +4 on Saturday, sunny and +5 on Sunday. Still getting cold at night though...typical March weather pattern (warm days, cold nights.)

X2 Muskoka is finished for the season , even a bit of snow tommorrow wont fix them up

Sounds like Dwight is still on the go

Was thinking of the Haliburton Forest on Sunday for one last ride...anyone else interested?

It's a shame some of the Muskoka clubs won't reopen. Especially those clubs that have to open late because of the need for snow cover in rough terrain. That rough terrain is covered - it packed down in the warm spell 10 days ago and then froze solid at the end of last week. This recent 8+ inches of snow on top of that frozen base is terrific. I agree, don't open the trails that rely on roads because those roads will be bare again in the hot sun this weekend. But this weekend's forecast is just the kind of weather we used to love for spring sledding. Even those that enjoy late season off-trail riding need trails to get to those places. Lots of Muskoka clubs have a large percentage of their trails not reliant on road travel. Open them. Just in the same manner that certain trails are open early while others stay closed; open the forest trails, the non-pavement trails, unopened road allowances, seasonal road trails and keep them open late. It should help a club's matrix (?) - better than keeping them all closed, anyway. And, all the people on forums like this that see Port Sydney or Kearney or Burks Falls are open are going to be trailering there for the weekend to spend money at lodges and gas stations and restaurants. I would think that all Muskoka clubs would want to help boost their local economies. Matrix, Economy, Riders, it's all good !

Have any of the local Municipalities started cleaning out the ditches yet? I know in this area it stops the groomers from getting over road crossings.

It's a shame some of the Muskoka clubs won't reopen. Especially those clubs that have to open late because of the need for snow cover in rough terrain. That rough terrain is covered - it packed down in the warm spell 10 days ago and then froze solid at the end of last week. This recent 8+ inches of snow on top of that frozen base is terrific. I agree, don't open the trails that rely on roads because those roads will be bare again in the hot sun this weekend. But this weekend's forecast is just the kind of weather we used to love for spring sledding. Even those that enjoy late season off-trail riding need trails to get to those places. Lots of Muskoka clubs have a large percentage of their trails not reliant on road travel. Open them. Just in the same manner that certain trails are open early while others stay closed; open the forest trails, the non-pavement trails, unopened road allowances, seasonal road trails and keep them open late. It should help a club's matrix (?) - better than keeping them all closed, anyway. And, all the people on forums like this that see Port Sydney or Kearney or Burks Falls are open are going to be trailering there for the weekend to spend money at lodges and gas stations and restaurants. I would think that all Muskoka clubs would want to help boost their local economies. Matrix, Economy, Riders, it's all good !

Couldn't agree more.

I haven't been up for a couple weeks since just before that warm up, but I have cameras on my cottage and I just don't see how the trails could be closed permanently with the amount of snow still on the ground, plus the great base we had before the warm up. I figured the clubs all closed temporarily to prevent wear on the thinner base and would reopen now for the weekend.

Looks like some of them did just that too. I see the Seguin, parts of the D and a bunch of trails near Huntsville just reopened. Would like to see the C south of Parry Sound reopen too.

Have any of the local Municipalities started cleaning out the ditches yet? I know in this area it stops the groomers from getting over road crossings.

Non that I've seen in Muskoka yet.

Looks like nothing is opening south of pt sydney , Oh well I will ride north today I guess, the Kearney gang always does a great job with the snow they have , Im sure Bracebridge will be open next January though, Maybe they have too much snow right now :icon_blah:

Looks like nothing is opening south of pt sydney , Oh well I will ride north today I guess, the Kearney gang always does a great job with the snow they have , Im sure Bracebridge will be open next January though, Maybe they have too much snow right now :icon_blah:

All trails open and grooming in Almaguin with the exception of D123 from Burk's Falls to Seguin - Here's the post from their website

All groomers running all trails with the exception of D-123 from Burks Falls to the Sequin are open. Should be a great weekend for sledding, come up and enjoy your last weekend on the snow. ADSC will be closing all there trails as of next Monday March 25th unless winter hangs in??

I'll be heading your way Saturday ....your club always does an excellent job, and from our place (Buck Lake) out and back with a few little side loops, is a great to way to fill a day.

We are at the int of 303 and d-123 right now and everything in Almaguin is mint. Tons of snow

And groomed up. No one around. First tracks on almost all the trails.Kearney Rocks

We are at the int of 303 and d-123 right now and everything in Almaguin is mint. Tons of snow

And groomed up. No one around. First tracks on almost all the trails.Kearney Rocks

I'm having lunch at my desk ... you are an asshat! :D

Just finished lunch.at sprucedale. The seguin is in good shape also. Looks like du ya wanna

Groomed up to. The seguin

You're killin' me here!!!

(I think I feel a cold coming on .... )

Archived