My Season's Done! No matter what Ma Nature does!

Bryan XC700

Well a grand total of 425 miles for the year & one blown crankshaft on my 800 XC. So right now my season is done no matter what Ma Nature does. I'm still not sure what happened yet, pistons & plugs look good but its seized tighter than a drum. Whenever I get around to tearing it down I'll post how it goes but right its on the trailer covered up & parked in the barn. Being a southwestern ontario sledder is a tough racket.

Sorry for your luck Bryan.and you are so right. Last year D9 got a taste of what you folks fight with every year ( lack of snow) It takes incredible dedication for the volunteers in D5 to stake, sign and brush and then cross their fingers praying for snow.

Ya at least it is the end of the season. I'm now looking at my options, I'm probably going to send the bottom end out to have the crank reinforced & the cases modified. If I spend the money to rebuild it I might as well make sure its not going to happen again & ride it forever now.

I'm looking at Legend in Traverse City Michigan to do the work. Does anyone know of a shop in Ontario that does the same type of work?

not sure of any in Ontario, I have always pressed my own, never done them for anybody else though. I buy my bearings from John at Northern Crankshaft in MN. He does excellent crank work, and is who I would recommend to anyone. Did u check with Wildbill? I'm sure he must either press them himself or has someone he uses?

http://northerncrankshaft.com/

I was looking at Legend because they use a wide PTO end bearing kit & modify the cases to help stabilize the cranks. I figure I'm not dumping the sled anytime soon, so I might as well spend a bit on it & have it done right.

That sucks man, been there this year with a top end problem.

Dont fix it just sell it, buy a fourstroke and ride ALL next winter

I'm quite happy switching to a 4-stroke this season as well. saved on average 15L of fuel per DAY !

Plenty of power with the turbo too

I may have some parts you need. I have the whole engine except for valves and center piston. The engine I have is a 2004 with 6000 km when it poped valve taking out center piston.

We locked up a 2005 T660 with 13,000 km on it. siezed tight. pulled good till it locked. I thought that one would go forever. ya never know? Got some wrenching to do.; anwyone got a parts sled?

Did it burn oil? My fathers 08 T660 Touring (not turbo) burns oil.

I love it when everyones says 4-strokes last forever,,,lmfao,,you will start to see more and more failures as guys start to be more willing to talk about it,,,my 2005 T-660 failed at 5000 miles,Cat said they did not have an overheating problem,they crated me a brand new engine,,,so no complaints,sled now has 14,000 kms. I installed an extra radiator!

I love it when everyones says 4-strokes last forever,,,lmfao,,you will start to see more and more failures as guys start to be more willing to talk about it,,,my 2005 T-660 failed at 5000 miles,Cat said they did not have an overheating problem,they crated me a brand new engine,,,so no complaints,sled now has 14,000 kms. I installed an extra radiator!

exactly, I have never seen an internal combustion engine that won't fail at some point. 4strokes are cleaner,cost less to operate and cost 10x more to fix then a 2stroke.

my 03 had 11800m when it choked on the rod bearing, my 05 had just shy of 10 000m on it when I pulled it appart and rebearinged the crank, I wouldn't trade either one of my dinosour 2strokes for any of the new junk, 2or 4stroke's

Ok have a good time in Florida.

I'm sure the turbo doesn't help. Turbos are meant to spool up and stay at speed. The on and off the throttle driving we do with sleds, I'm sure causes a lot of extra stress on the turbo, stress creates heat and well we know what too much heat does.

One of the guys at work use to have a Polaris Turbo, after an hour of hard riding he said you could see the turbo glowing red even in day light.

It is not uncommon for a turbo to glow bright red to orange when running even at part throttle. As long as the bearings are cooled by a sufficient flow of oil or coolant, it should be fine.

Turbos are much better for the on off throttle of sledding (and rallying) than a supercharger that is directly driven by engine speed, both speeding up and slowing down. When you come off the throttle, the wastegate and blow off / compressor bypass valve should allow the turbo to freewheel.

The biggest risk to an engine from a turbo is uncontrolled / over boost situations and improper fuel management.

Just my 2¢

Usually the turbo is not the cause of a 4 stroke failure. Ceyhoopers I had heard that you had adjusted the wastegate and had a boost gauge. Is that true? When a four stroke fails it often exceeds the value of the sled. Case in point RX! drops a valve parts to repair and labour exceed $4000.00 . Apex cuts heat exchanger and overheats light never goes on until it is too late. Repair cost (at dealer) exceeded $7500.00 T660 drops a valve costs can easily exceed $3000.00 The point is failure does happen nothing is bullet proof.

Over 67,000 kms between our 2 2009 1200's. No rebuilds just miles of smiles. Not much to complain about here.

Over 67,000 kms between our 2 2009 1200's. No rebuilds just miles of smiles. Not much to complain about here.

Thats great . Less than 5% of four strokes have failures when they do fail it is not cheap. We have had one siezed 1200 dropped off here . Did not get the oppurtunity to look into it nor did I hear the cause just that it was replaced with a long block under warranty . Everything can break nothing is bulletproof. That is job security for me .

Very true any motor can fail !

I am really happy with how my polaris turbo 4-stroker worked this season.

lots of power, great on fuel, no noticable turbo lag........Im generally impressed.

I'm sure if i ever have a motor issue I will not like the parts cost lol.......i never enjoyed the cost to rebuild a 2 strokeer anyway....who does?

One thing i did learn is I waited too long before upgrading, the IQ chassis is quite different (improvement) from a edge chassis and I can only guess the Rush is even better to ride!

I'm 6'-5" and always had to deal with sleds that on long trips were uncomfortable, all the new rider forward designs are much more comfortable riding.

Archived