Police on the Trails in D5

It was nice to see the Waterloo Regional Police out yesterday doing trail stops with the trail patrol again. They gave quite a number of tickets for no permits. It seemed a lot of people figured it was the last weekend to ride here and they could go out without a permit and get away with it. I can't believe the guys are still getting nailed for $105 for not having a $15 val tag. They just don't seem to learn. They also found people with no insurance.

I headed out on yesterday and when we got to the second intersection there was a couple sitting there looking perplexed. So I did what any snowmobiler would do.....I stopped and asked if they needed directions. I got a snappy NO! from the older fellow on the one sled. His wife turnes to me and says "Is there a permit on those sleds?" To which my response was yes of course there is. (on the 2 up the 2012 is on the windshield) my 2013 permits are on the hood. My thinking is if someone wants the permit they would take the windshield (and that happens a lot around here). So the woman on the second sled barks out "It should be on the windshield!" and I responded with what I wrote above. She decided to repeat herself (almost in a challenge). My response was I am legal!

I can understand the watching for freeloaders but this was too far! I was trying to do the right thing and ended up getting harassed by Mr. and Mrs. wannabe trail patrol!

I do Trail Patrol in D12 and as long as the sled has a permit I don't care where it is, I'll let law enforcement worry about placement.

I do Trail Patrol in D12 and as long as the sled has a permit I don't care where it is, I'll let law enforcement worry about placement.

That's how we work too. Sometimes if its really in an obscure place ..might suggest a more obvious place. Weirdest place I've seen a permit was in the shock tower!

Just about all the body panels on my XR come off faster than the windshield.

I headed out on yesterday and when we got to the second intersection there was a couple sitting there looking perplexed. So I did what any snowmobiler would do.....I stopped and asked if they needed directions. I got a snappy NO! from the older fellow on the one sled. His wife turnes to me and says "Is there a permit on those sleds?" To which my response was yes of course there is. (on the 2 up the 2012 is on the windshield) my 2013 permits are on the hood. My thinking is if someone wants the permit they would take the windshield (and that happens a lot around here). So the woman on the second sled barks out "It should be on the windshield!" and I responded with what I wrote above. She decided to repeat herself (almost in a challenge). My response was I am legal!

I can understand the watching for freeloaders but this was too far! I was trying to do the right thing and ended up getting harassed by Mr. and Mrs. wannabe trail patrol!

Just curious, were they actually vested Trail Patrol? If they were they shouldn't be having an attitude. We are also out there to make sure everyone has a good time on our trails. I do just as you do. I see someone looking perplexed I stop and ask if I can help and do they need a map. I always carry a bunch of our maps with me. Yesterday I came across two riders looking perplexed. One of our directional signs had gone AWOL and since we were headed where they wanted to go they were happy to follow us and get back on track.

Everyone deserves to be treated with respect. Even those riding without a permit. You need to deliver a message but you can do it respectfully,

We were stopped today just outside of Wellesley by Waterloo Regional Police. My 13 year old daughter was proud as anything to show her licence and documents!!!!! Our girls got their picture taken sitting on the police sleds, it was a very positive experience for our two girls to interact with the police. I think it was great to see some of those freeloaders getting written up.

Just curious, were they actually vested Trail Patrol? If they were they shouldn't be having an attitude. We are also out there to make sure everyone has a good time on our trails. I do just as you do. I see someone looking perplexed I stop and ask if I can help and do they need a map. I always carry a bunch of our maps with me. Yesterday I came across two riders looking perplexed. One of our directional signs had gone AWOL and since we were headed where they wanted to go they were happy to follow us and get back on track.

Everyone deserves to be treated with respect. Even those riding without a permit. You need to deliver a message but you can do it respectfully,

I saw 2 ATVers on a trail today! Lucky they didn't run into the unmaked trail patrol! They were asked to leave. They grumbled about it and left the trail like they were asked.

Archived