Rail trail courtesy

I'll Ride Anything

Miny rant, we ride Heritage trail (Bancroft) frequently to access other parts of the system.

Another example yesterday with the wife when meeting oncoming sleds we move over best we can and slow (not stop) until they pass then its rock and roll again.

Many others seeing us slow and provide extra room decide no need for them to slow at all nor move from the middle of the trail so they rock by at mach 2 speed.

Now I love cooking down a rail trail as much as the next guy but geez louise I can ease off the flipper for the few seconds it takes to safely pass oncoming sleds.

It is not fair for me to assume you are an expert rider who would never hit a rut or a bump and accidently hook my ski involving me in a head-on.

Wife mentions it often and she's right, its not much to ask.

Slow for 10 secs then have at it guys.

I can't tell you how many times I've been disappointed by other riders when they do that.

I agree with you 100%. If I was a bit more of an A$$hat and didn't enjoy life, I'd still slow down but just as they hit mach 2, I'd steer into my own lane just for a second to see the look on their faces before I pull back.

The wife and I did an overnight trip Sat and Sunday and on a superwide sweeping outside turn, I had to drive halfway off the trail so I wouldn't get hit. I could see him far in advance but he was just going way too fast to be able to steer into the turn to miss me, he just kept drifting out. Two AC drivers with the new tall spindled front end flying at top speed. I always fear my wife will get clipped by these test pilots but we've been lucky so far.

Agreed on this one.... I have gone to some trouble to modify my mirrors so that I can see sleds way behind me. Some sleds come up so fast I don't see them. My wife riding two up with me has a signal if she spots them coming up. She doesn't see them either. All they have to do is keep station for two or three seconds so I can see them and I'll pull over.

This weekend, another discourtesy. Pulled over and stopped, let a bunch pass, no thanks or last sled in line signal so I'd know when to start up again. On another occasion, was first to a road crossing, but sleds from the other direction continued onto the road, cutting my line of travel. The majority of riders though were good with hand signals and thank yous.

It is just matter of time before I get 'surprised' during one of these incidents and swerve over to the passing lane...which will knock them right off the trail. (sledjunk - might be a market for those rearward cameras adapted to sleds!)

Miny rant, we ride Heritage trail (Bancroft) frequently to access other parts of the system.

Another example yesterday with the wife when meeting oncoming sleds we move over best we can and slow (not stop) until they pass then its rock and roll again.

Many others seeing us slow and provide extra room decide no need for them to slow at all nor move from the middle of the trail so they rock by at mach 2 speed.

Now I love cooking down a rail trail as much as the next guy but geez louise I can ease off the flipper for the few seconds it takes to safely pass oncoming sleds.

It is not fair for me to assume you are an expert rider who would never hit a rut or a bump and accidently hook my ski involving me in a head-on.

Too true. Some of the trails are multi use as well which means you will find people out walking their dogs, cross country skiing or just walking. We come across the individuals they typically stop and move tightly to the side of the trail especially those walking their dogs. We slow right down to and move over to the opposite side of the trail from them. They wave and smile. Then we see the experts you mentioned screaming by kicking up the snow behind them and in some cases having the people they are passing turning their backs to them to stop from being pelted with the snow and whatever else their track is throwing up.

Then people wonder why sledders get a bad rap from many non sledders. It takes about 10 good impressions to offset 1 bad impression for these people.

totally agree,slow right down & wave...people are usually trying to control their dog...at least we can control our speed

Too true. Some of the trails are multi use as well which means you will find people out walking their dogs, cross country skiing or just walking. We come across the individuals they typically stop and move tightly to the side of the trail especially those walking their dogs. We slow right down to and move over to the opposite side of the trail from them. They wave and smile. Then we see the experts you mentioned screaming by kicking up the snow behind them and in some cases having the people they are passing turning their backs to them to stop from being pelted with the snow and whatever else their track is throwing up.

Then people wonder why sledders get a bad rap from many non sledders. It takes about 10 good impressions to offset 1 bad impression for these people.

Actually it most likely takes 100 good to offset the 1 bad!!

I agree with White Dragon-- totally agree,slow right down & wave...people are usually trying to control their dog...at least we can control our speed

well said 02 :)

best to slow down and pass them, let them enjoy a nice day out like we are when we ride

Unless they are ATVs on a NON multi use trail, those I will slow down and roost them

Ran into a bunch of clowns on the rail bed near Whitney a few weeks ago racing two abreast in a pack and no, they did not form a single line to pass us. :crazy:

Ran into a bunch of clowns on the rail bed near Whitney a few weeks ago racing two abreast in a pack and no, they did not form a single line to pass us. :crazy:

What trails are the rail lines in your area. Wanna make a trip over there and I wanna know the good trails.

Met one guy on my side a few weeks ago and watched him go deep into the rubarb trying to avoid my STOPPED sled.

I made sure he was mvoing around after the snow dust settled and continued on my way.

My son (riding another sled behind me) later asked why I didn't help the guy, I replied I don't help a-hos.

The only time I have ever had close encounters with another snowmobiler, it is always a Yamaha in the middle of the trail. It is, because most Yamaha riders do not know how to ride. So they buy a heavy comfortable sled and think they can ride wherever they want. I may speed and go faster than 80km/h on some straight aways, but when I am going around corners , I hug my side. Learn how to ride and know that you ride on the right side of the trail, or stay off the main trails.

The only time I have ever had close encounters with another snowmobiler, it is always a Yamaha in the middle of the trail. It is, because most Yamaha riders do not know how to ride. So they buy a heavy comfortable sled and think they can ride wherever they want. I may speed and go faster than 80km/h on some straight aways, but when I am going around corners , I hug my side. Learn how to ride and know that you ride on the right side of the trail, or stay off the main trails.

Hmm I heard the same about doo riders all being snocross wanna bees :nana:

Generalization its great aint it :icon_blah:

Met one guy on my side a few weeks ago and watched him go deep into the rubarb trying to avoid my STOPPED sled.

I made sure he was mvoing around after the snow dust settled and continued on my way.

My son (riding another sled behind me) later asked why I didn't help the guy, I replied I don't help a-hos.

:icon_goodpost:

I have to agree, I have ridden the trails around Haliburton for over 25 years and there have been instances too numerous to count where if I didnt make an effort to stay well on my side and anticpate someone coming from a blind corner that someone would have hooked my ski and piled into me. The weekend warriors need to drive within thier limits, there is no need to exceed 50 mph on the trail and if your sliding onto the other side in corners - you are going too fast. Unfortunately alcohol is too much of an issue in serious accidents as well.. Fortunately, most of us on here dont behave like that.

One pet peave I have is people who dont use their mirrors. I followed a group on Sunday that I caught up to on the trail. I have no problem following a group that is moving along at a steady pace and I dont expect them to allow me to pass until we reach a safe spot like a stop. This one guy who was at the back of his three sled pack never checked his mirrors once for at least 20 mins of riding. He kept dropping back riding the centre of the trail, slowing to a crawl and looking down fiddling with something on his sled. He wouldnt brake just slow his sled right down to a crawl and block the trail in the process. He did this several times I think i scared the crap out of him when I pulled up close to the side and jumped on the binders and reved the sled . He finally saw me then stopped fiddling with his sled and kept riding. Check your mirrors regularly and be aware on the trail!

I have to agree, I have ridden the trails around Haliburton for over 25 years and there have been instances too numerous to count where if I didnt make an effort to stay well on my side and anticpate someone coming from a blind corner that someone would have hooked my ski and piled into me. The weekend warriors need to drive within thier limits, there is no need to exceed 50 mph on the trail and if your sliding onto the other side in corners - you are going too fast. Unfortunately alcohol is too much of an issue in serious accidents as well.. Fortunately, most of us on here dont behave like that.

One pet peave I have is people who dont use their mirrors. I followed a group on Sunday that I caught up to on the trail. I have no problem following a group that is moving along at a steady pace and I dont expect them to allow me to pass until we reach a safe spot like a stop. This one guy who was at the back of his three sled pack never checked his mirrors once for at least 20 mins of riding. He kept dropping back riding the centre of the trail, slowing to a crawl and looking down fiddling with something on his sled. He wouldnt brake just slow his sled right down to a crawl and block the trail in the process. He did this several times I think i scared the crap out of him when I pulled up close to the side and jumped on the binders and reved the sled . He finally saw me then stopped fiddling with his sled and kept riding. Check your mirrors regularly and be aware on the trail!

I might have been following the same group. When I was 12, I started riding the trails. I rode slow, not too much faster than the speed limit. But when I checked for people behind me and always let them pass.

We all seem to have the same stories about the weekend "warriors". Of which we mostly are as we generally only ride on weekends due to work. I know I have said it before but both my husband and I are not riding as much as we used to because the weekends up here are just getting crazy! I used to enjoy leading, not anymore. I have no problem admitting my husband is a better rider than I am and he can get out of the way of the warriors much quicker than I can so now he leads all the time. Oh by the way we are already on our "side" of the trail. It's getting so frustrating and this past weekend was the worst. Hard to get out there and just enjoy what we love while waiting for the next a-ho standing up and sliding through the corners. We all complain, but what can we do? Ask parents to teach there children manners and common sense? Ask wives to remind there husbands they want them home safe after a boys weekend. Sorry guys but its not often you see a female sledder sliding around a corner. Unless her riding partner is going so fast she has to ride beyond her capabilities that is. Of course we see a lot of people doing that. Phew this has become quite a rant and that is not what meant it to be. But I want to feel safe out there and yes we have the right to feel this way. Oh and please don't bother signalling me that you are last sled, you already scared the crap out of both of us when you almost clipped me! Put both your hands back on that sled and get it back under control! And on a positive note, these past few days of riding up here have been incredible, not that many sleds out there but the ones we have met have been very considerate and NO near misses guess the real warriors have gone home for now!

One pet peave I have is people who dont use their mirrors. I followed a group on Sunday that I caught up to on the trail.

Where were you riding?

Gotta love the "experts".

Wannago, I doubt the weekend warriors were brought up in a sledding family. Probably just starting riding because their friends are sledding.

What trails are the rail lines in your area. Wanna make a trip over there and I wanna know the good trails.

The B is mostly rail line from Whitney to Pembroke (approx 65%) with a nice section of bush trail in the middle. Great riding in that whole area.

You need to install a horn on that sled. And carry a paint ball gun! If you're still riding that touring couch, there's room for a 'tail gunner' on the back.

YUP I find it interesting when I am riding after fresh snow.

there seems to be always only one track used by dozens - even hundreds of sleds.

RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE !!

Really makes me wonder when I am going around a right hand corner and EVERY sled track is in the same 1 sled wide path - ON MY SIDE. Was every sled so far on the trail going my same direction - don't think so.

I do my best to get way out on those left hand turns in the "slidy soft stuff" and jam another set of tracks on the trail, so maybe the sleds coming after me see there is a whole lot of groomed trail to ride.- other than the center.

I see "weekend warriors" out there every day. So I pretty much ride the trails with one ski in the snowbank at all times.

I pass way way more sleds riding in the center or even the wrong side, than on their side of the trail.

"RIDE ON YOUR SIDE"

CHEERS

The B is mostly rail line from Whitney to Pembroke (approx 65%) with a nice section of bush trail in the middle. Great riding in that whole area.

Any pipelines or rail trails directly north or east of Bancroft, wanna make a trip from Fenelon Falls over. Either via Haliburton or through Twin Mountain S/C trails.

Any pipelines or rail trails directly north or east of Bancroft, wanna make a trip from Fenelon Falls over. Either via Haliburton or through Twin Mountain S/C trails.

B106E through Bancroft is rail to approx. 177 (north or Lake St. Peter) and will take you right up to the B trail in Whitney.

YUP I find it interesting when I am riding after fresh snow.

there seems to be always only one track used by dozens - even hundreds of sleds.

RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE !!

Makes you even madder where you can see where the groomer cut under the fresh snow.

You have to wonder what people are protecting w/ their helmets.

On Monday I caught up to a sledder poking along on a twisty, hilly trail doing about 20 mph, all over the trail. They were making no effort to ride right on the corners or hills. I got by the rider then a minute or so later I catch up to another rider (out of sight of the 1st sled). I then realize that the 1st rider must've been the wife or g/f. I followed the guy fairly closely for a couple of minutes before I think I reaized my yellow & black REV wasn't his wife's Polaris.

I wonder how much instruction he had given her before riding.

Archived