East Bay Marina - No Sledding SIGN - Torrance

velo

Just wondering if anyone knows about whats up with East bay Marina in Torrance. They have posted a no snowmobiling sign this is one of the only access points on to lake Muskoka from Torrance this sign is new this week... anyone? thanks

We used to work from there in the past years , I heard there is some new people living at the house there , they could be part of the new sign

last i knew the marina was owned by a a group of cottagers who leased out the house and the business.

I am trying to contact them in the mean time to see whats going on. but if anyone has any other info on this is would be

very much appreciate. its a critical access point to the lake IMHO as there really is no other spot to hop on between Bala and

Walkers point.

They don't own the lake or the beach. Even 15 feet back from the water is government land.

They don't own the lake or the beach. Even 15 feet back from the water is government land.

You cannot assume the waterfront is public. In many municipalities, the 66' allowance can be purchased by the adjacent land owner. There are even a few examples in Ontario where a portion of the lake bed is private.

You cannot assume the waterfront is public. In many municipalities, the 66' allowance can be purchased by the adjacent land owner. There are even a few examples in Ontario where a portion of the lake bed is private.

I am pretty sure it is government. Just watch out for any obstacles they may put in place to prevent Snowmobilers.

You still have to cross the Marinas private property to get to the lake access

We have two properties in Port Severn. One we own under the water to where it meets the neighbours property directly across from us in the middle of the water way. On the other we own 20 feet out under the water.

As a follow up I have got in touch with the marina's owners association, they were unaware of the sign.

and assume the current tenant in the house is responsible for it and will be discussing sled access over the weekend with the

tenant. keep you posted

We have two properties in Port Severn. One we own under the water to where it meets the neighbours property directly across from us in the middle of the water way. On the other we own 20 feet out under the water.

Crazy.

Crazy.

What is crazy about it.

What is crazy about it.

That you own land underneath the water.

It's part of the Trent Severn Waterway which was created by dams and flooding in a lot of spots. The deed to the property was set long before the flooding. For our one property on the island we own almost as much under water as we do above water. It's pretty common in that area.

Apparently you've never heard of water lots...very common in some areas due to historical circumstances, including "flooded land" situations such as O2sled describes.

Also, as noted above by Whiskeywizard, some municipalities do allow the purchase of the original 66' shore road allowance created at the time of the original township survey...but in such cases the adjacent owner is only allowed to purchase the portion of the original shore allowance which is ABOVE the lake's high water mark (i.e. not flooded land.)

As a follow up I have got in touch with the marina's owners association, they were unaware of the sign.

and assume the current tenant in the house is responsible for it and will be discussing sled access over the weekend with the

tenant. keep you posted

We do work for the association from time to time , I know they would not like the access being cut off as it leads to there properties

Archived