Trip Sudbury to Sault St. Marie

reginald_

I am planning to come up to Sudbury on Friday for up to a week. I am wondering if the trails are good, and if anyone could recommend a loop in the area, maybe to Sault St. Marie, or a great 4-5 day loop where the trails are good. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

There are a couple of loops in the area. Check out the STP web site. http://www.sudburytrailplan.on.ca/

The trails this past weekend were good west and north of the city. As for saddle bag loops, Sudbury can be a good jumping off point for many destinations.

Watch for water holes in some areas, though.

We were in Sudbury last week. Conditions were good Thursday and Friday and I assume even better on the weekend. We rode both the Cartier loop West and north of the city, and the bottom end of the other loop which goes east and north of Lake Wanapetei. Each are good full day ride and very scenic . Gowganda is about 200 km away. You can ride up one day, Stay at Gowganda Lake Lodge ( see add on this website) or Auld Reekie Lodge and return the next day. Normally you could also do Timmins from Gowganda, but that trail is not open yet. (likely logging)

The only issues we had with water holes were on wednesday and Thursday near the city. By Friday everything was tightened up again

Click on this link to see conditions from last Thursday (after the mild spell) https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B2FdakBDrNS2dkZtcGUzWmdiZ1U/edit?usp=sharing

Rode from Sudbury to Elliot Lake on thursday and from Elliot Lake to Thessalon today. The trail conditions were great, mostly freshly groomed trails, west of Elliot Lake there was 4" of fresh powder. Very little trafic, saw maybe 10 sleds all day. It was a great day to be out riding.

Archived