Something else for the sled toolbox

I'll Ride Anything

2" wide approx 22' long ratchet strap, those heavy yellow 1's.

Met a guy on the trail (b4 my season ended) he was telling me when he broke thru some ice at the bottom of a ditch and found himself knee deep in water in a nasty spot, sled partially submerged.

He was alone but fortunately he had 1 of these ratchet straps in his trunk bag.

Had only ever used the strap part for emergency tow strap but having the full thing allowed him to gradually winch himself out.

Being cold and wet and alone he figured it may have saved his bacon.

Light bulb went off for me so I ditched my old tow strap and threw 1 of these in, I don't often ride alone but do with just the wife often.

great thinkin will add that myself

2" wide approx 22' long ratchet strap, those heavy yellow 1's.

Met a guy on the trail (b4 my season ended) he was telling me when he broke thru some ice at the bottom of a ditch and found himself knee deep in water in a nasty spot, sled partially submerged.

He was alone but fortunately he had 1 of these ratchet straps in his trunk bag.

Had only ever used the strap part for emergency tow strap but having the full thing allowed him to gradually winch himself out.

Being cold and wet and alone he figured it may have saved his bacon.

Light bulb went off for me so I ditched my old tow strap and threw 1 of these in, I don't often ride alone but do with just the wife often.

I have a Princess Auto boat trailer winch and strap with a piece of chain to wrap around a tree or hook around something. It will winch a sled out quite nicely.

All my sleds have 2" straps 20+ ' in them.Don't have the winch though and probably should.Good post but I am running out of room in my sled.LOL

All my sleds have 2" straps 20+ ' in them.Don't have the winch though and probably should.Good post but I am running out of room in my sled.LOL

These straps are handy. I carry one to go inbetween my tow rope. Can rachet a sled out if it gets stuck too. No winch, since someone always comes by.

Talk to sledjunk. He can give tips on how to carry everything including the kitchen sink. I understand his arsenal of gear is impressive to say the least

There is a more efficient way to haul anything out from anywhere! All you need is some basic hardware from MEC, and some decent rope...not the Princess Auto Offshore Chinese crapola.

Build yourself a "Z" rig kit that is light, super strong and can be tucked into a small bag or compartment. The better the quality of rope the more weight you can haul. You technically could haul a car up a slope with this set up. If you google 3:1 z rigging YouTube has some excellent videos.

Here is the basic set up anybody can make. It's cheap, light and strong. The "load" would get attached to a sturdy point on your sled...front or rear bumper. The "anchor" would get secured to a fixed object...post, tree, etc. Then, you walk back with the working end and up comes your stuck sled. The further the distance you set the load from the anchor the more pull distance you have.

post-19777-0-81811500-1359675462_thumb.jpg

Princess Auto has retractable ratchet straps!! I can't believe it took this long for someone to market them, bought a set of 6 and 10 footers. BNo more fumbling around, just press the button and they retract for easy storage

There is a more efficient way to haul anything out from anywhere! All you need is some basic hardware from MEC, and some decent rope...not the Princess Auto Offshore Chinese crapola.

Build yourself a "Z" rig kit that is light, super strong and can be tucked into a small bag or compartment. The better the quality of rope the more weight you can haul. You technically could haul a car up a slope with this set up. If you google 3:1 z rigging YouTube has some excellent videos.

Here is the basic set up anybody can make. It's cheap, light and strong. The "load" would get attached to a sturdy point on your sled...front or rear bumper. The "anchor" would get secured to a fixed object...post, tree, etc. Then, you walk back with the working end and up comes your stuck sled. The further the distance you set the load from the anchor the more pull distance you have.

Where can I buy this stuff locally ?

Talk to sledjunk. He can give tips on how to carry everything including the kitchen sink. I understand his arsenal of gear is impressive to say the least

I have heard he has everything in his sled.The kitchen sink is just for doing the dishes after dinner or cleaning the clutch after a rebuild on the trail.post-21237-0-92658000-1359682522_thumb.jpg

Where can I buy this stuff locally ?

Mountain Equipment Co Op for everything. Good carabiners..not the hardware store cheapies... A pulley...this you can buy at either MEC or a hardware store, but I'd get one from MEC, and some good rope.

It's easy to pre assemble. Label what goes where. I'd recommend practising with it first so you know how it works. It's a slick set up.

Also...EBay has all this stuff too.

I have heard he has everything in his sled.The kitchen sink is just for doing the dishes after dinner or cleaning the clutch after a rebuild on the trail.post-21237-0-92658000-1359682522_thumb.jpg

Thats not true at all

You clean the clutch before the rebuild!

used to have a kit sold at Royal thinking it was called rattle snake or something similar

basically a 6 foot bungee strap with 2 handles

loop thru the ski handles and walk forward till each end hit about 8 feet out and the sled would sling shot ahead

SnoBunge Rattlesnake or Cobra

SnoBunge Rattlesnake or Cobra

You guys are special names for each other!!

I use the Z Drag all the time. My throw bag is with me on all trips . 70' of floating rope. I did an article on several fishing sites and Dootalk on using the Z Drag and getting unstuck.

RR

Mountain Equipment Co Op for everything. Good carabiners..not the hardware store cheapies... A pulley...this you can buy at either MEC or a hardware store, but I'd get one from MEC, and some good rope.

It's easy to pre assemble. Label what goes where. I'd recommend practising with it first so you know how it works. It's a slick set up.

Also...EBay has all this stuff too.

;;

Hey, FQ...sounds like a great kit to have on trips.

Any chance you have a pic (or could take one) to post here, so we all can actually see your typical set-up?

;;

Hey, FQ...sounds like a great kit to have on trips.

Any chance you have a pic (or could take one) to post here, so we all can actually see your typical set-up?

Scroll up to post #7

Scroll up to post #7

Duhhhh! [next time, I'll read the entire thread, instead of just the last few posts...] :icon_doh:

Thanks much, Fred.

Duhhhh! [next time, I'll read the entire thread, instead of just the last few posts...] :icon_doh:

Thanks much, Fred.

To increase the rigs abilities I use a good tow strap or webbing and wrap that around a tree or fixed object then connect your anchor carabiner to the strap. You can do the same with the "load end" a strap through a sleds bumper and connect to the carabiner. It's not a rapid system like a winch but....technically you yourself could haul a huge load out of just about anywhere. It's just about mechanical advantage. Much lighter than a winch..and takes up next to no room plus the components are good for other uses.

Here is a link to an article I did on using the Z drag to get your sled out when stuck. I use this all the time and have the kit with me due to riding solo.

http://forums.oodmag...ead.php?t=29233

The same article was posted on dootalk and the responces are from other snowmobilers so they are quite different. Some posted really good alternatives to getting unstuck. Didn't think I could post the link to another snowmobile site. I was surprised to see someone use the same technique. As you can see the rachet strap can work to. Just having some knowldge on ways to get yourself out of the goo or from downa hill when you blow a corner is the first step.

RR

Z rigging is great! Easy to set up once you understand it and all the components can be used for other things while in the back woods. Even getting a stubborn tree off the trail. Nice article RR

Archived