cooper exhaust donuts for yamaha apex

Dufftom

Hi guys and gals newbie to this site.I am thinking of changing my exhaust donuts on my 08 apex,is it the way to go,and do i need to go stainless pipes as well,or stay with the stock donuts.Any input would be great,Thanks.

welcome to the forum. i have copper exhaust donuts on my 06 apex. i'm not an expert so I can't really comment on them. my mechanic told me to use them so i just listened to him.

Did you go stainless pipes or,and was it as easy as just taking the old ones out and putting the new ones back in.I hear that you need to use some kind of seal as well.

There is a great how to post over on Totally Yamaha, believe there is a link to that website from this one. There are also a few debates regarding using the copper donuts which may be if interest to you.

Here is the step by step posted on the Totalyamaha site lots of stuff there.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=52520

I changed the pipes in my 06 Apex because one cracked with over 10,000km on it.The other 06 Apex is still good with 8000 km on it.I didnt change my 08 Apex yet because there is only 3500 km on it and they are still good.

My 08 has just over 6000 km on it,donuts are still good,no back firing or loss of power.Bought 2 sets of copper donuts last year off a friend that has them in his 06.Why two sets,wife drives an apex also.Just don't know if i should go to all that work and have them fail,because of what i am hearing.I was told to check or change around 5 to 6000 km.

I check all three of my Apexs every year to be sure they are not going.Its not that big of a job to check them. Maybe one hour per sled.

I seem to get at most two seasons out of a set of donuts, or about 4000km last year i changed to stainless pipes and used oem donuts and NEW clamps, IMO the titanium pipes are to thin and hold to much heat and just destroy the oem donut, the copper from every single person that has used them reported no issues I know of so go ahead and use them, some people to put a sealer on them some don't, I would recommend changing the clamps or if still in good shape, grind the contact tab down a bit to give a tighter seal

blue er your only five minutes across the lake from me if you do the speed limit lol.so are you saying i can use copper donuts with the titanium pipes

blue er your only five minutes across the lake from me if you do the speed limit lol.so are you saying i can use copper donuts with the titanium pipes

shouldn't be an issue

there no speed limits on da lake lol, yeah i can see long beach from my house it's about 5 minutes there at wot

Thanks for the info guys,now i have to decide if i want to do myself or just let the dealer do it.I have two sleds to do.A buddy of mine has 11 sets of copper donuts for sale,he bought them off the guy who made them because that guy moved back to Europe.He has an add on Kijiji.

Thanks for the info guys,now i have to decide if i want to do myself or just let the dealer do it.I have two sleds to do.A buddy of mine has 11 sets of copper donuts for sale,he bought them off the guy who made them because that guy moved back to Europe.He has an add on Kijiji.

if you want help, no prob after you do the first one takes about an hour to do

That is a really good offer,i was not looking for help that way,but having been there done that kind of help is nice.The lake is almost good to go why not hook up out there this weekend since the trails are closed and we'll talk.

That is a really good offer,i was not looking for help that way,but having been there done that kind of help is nice.The lake is almost good to go why not hook up out there this weekend since the trails are closed and we'll talk.

ok I'll be out there sat afternoon or sunday running around now there's enough snow,

ok I'll be out there sat afternoon or sunday running around now there's enough snow,

will keep my eyes peeled,i live in Southview estates south of long beach.

Go with copper for sure and add my name to the list of people you can PM if you run into trouble (been there, hammered that). My biggest problem was the screws for the front hanger clamps were seized so I had to drill out some rivets to get the whole assembly to move back far enough to clear the pipes.

I had the same problem with one of mine,we added a few more rivets too.Needed a cobalt drill bit to get through the stainless steel.

Go with copper for sure and add my name to the list of people you can PM if you run into trouble (been there, hammered that). My biggest problem was the screws for the front hanger clamps were seized so I had to drill out some rivets to get the whole assembly to move back far enough to clear the pipes.

going with copper,bought them last year,two sets two sleds.

as a added bonus my shop is on queen st in lindsay if one sunday you want to do it there let me know it'll cost you an extra large tims then at least all the tools will be available to you

as a added bonus my shop is on queen st in lindsay if one sunday you want to do it there let me know it'll cost you an extra large tims then at least all the tools will be available to you

I have a 1000 sq.ft heated garage with all the tools,thanks for the offer.

perfect, just make sure you have a #3 philips and a impact driver with s few metric allan sockets

Check those titainium header pipes carefully! They have a tendency to crack and warp. If they are questionable replace with stainless the titainum pipes are a thousand bucks. The stainless about 3 4 hundred and will last forever.

perfect, just make sure you have a #3 philips and a impact driver with s few metric allan sockets
checked my inventory.lots of standard sockets no metric,off to the man store today to get a set.

Check those titainium header pipes carefully! They have a tendency to crack and warp. If they are questionable replace with stainless the titainum pipes are a thousand bucks. The stainless about 3 4 hundred and will last forever.
I have been thinking stainless,i'll wait till we get it apart to see what the titanium look like,can always drive the wifes sled if i have to order stainless.She won't know.both sleds are the same i'll just tell her its hers thats tore apart LOL.

Archived