Kirkland Lake trails will be stellar

Ultrafrozen

Hey ultra we r heading up on the 6 or 7th of march. We r planning to ride to kap. Can u lend a hand with what we should expect, neither of us r northern riders. Planning on leaving k.lake in the late evening and staying in matheson at a friends place and then riding north how long will it take to ride to cochrane and then in to kap from matheson

I don't do a lot of lond distance trips and have only travelled up to Timmins years ago. Trails were really nice with a lot of straight runs. We took about six hours to get there but stopped a lot due to the -30C temps. About 200 km for either trip one way I think.

The Cochrane run peels off part way to Timmins and I'm told is much the same. The Northern corridor to Kap is really nice with wide fast trails I hear.

If you want recent info, search www.ty4stroke.com website for Pat The Rat posts. We work at the same place and he does a lot of long distance touring with his wife. Her 2007 Phazer has 26000 km on it so far.

I'll talk to him Monday and see if he has anything to add.

Hey ultra we r heading up on the 6 or 7th of march. We r planning to ride to kap. Can u lend a hand with what we should expect, neither of us r northern riders. Planning on leaving k.lake in the late evening and staying in matheson at a friends place and then riding north how long will it take to ride to cochrane and then in to kap from matheson

Last weekend we did Kirkland Lake to Cocharane for lunch then to Hearst in one day. It was a longer day I think 540km but its fast riding up there so you can make good time.

I was out on the trail today with my oldest and his GF and ran into two guys at the restaurant (2:30pm) that had come down from Kap that morning. They said the trail was in A-One shape all the way down untill about Iroquois Falls where it started getting a little choppy.

All the trails I was on around KL were in really good shape.

The club's brush cutter has been fixed and they will start brushing the trails next week. Some trails are in bad need of a trim.

Happy Sleddin'

awesome..we are so looking forward to this trip..

So Here is the plan (let me know if so any pitfalls)

P.S. none of us have ever sledded up north

Arrive in Kirkland Lake Wednesday evening to pick up my cousins sled (he is renting a sled there)

The plan is to ride to Matheson and fuel up there, and then ride into a friends cottage on Pain killer lake (spend the night there)

Ride out in the morning and fuel again in Matheson and ride to Cochrane for a bite to eat (then decide if we spend the night in Cochrane so we can run the canyon loop, or ride onward to Kap)

Questions,

1) what time is the fuel in matheson open until in the evening

2) between kirkland lake and Kap are there any problem spots for fuel (I have a '06 Mach and riding with a '02 SX 600 and the rental is a 4tec)

Anything else you think I should know (for a northern noob)

Thanks

Matheson gas is at the Chrysler dealer: www.jackfindlay.com/ I've been there late Sunday nights by car and they were open. Give them a call to confirm.

I can't help much on the gas situation west of Timmins.

Careful on the lakes, lots of slush locally off packed trail under the fluffy stuff since weather warmed up.

Archived