Sault Ste. Marie

Dan-Senior

Wednesday Jan. 30th - 12:55 PM Weather Update: It's snowing heavy in the Sault and started approximately 11 AM, so this storm is now in full-swing and making its way across N/E Ontario.

Thanks Dan.

We will be up!

I want to see it like two days ago!IMG_1223.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are great photos you posted Scott. Glad you are coming north. I'm loading up tonight and on the road tomorrow night. I will check my email regularly so we can plan a hook-up.

Here's a 4:30 pm photo from one of my security cameras.

post-22452-0-80490000-1359583672_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sault Trailblazers launched their new website this week. Includes a live Twitter Feed and Camera. Also includes the new 'Searchmont-to-Aubrey Falls' loop route and details.

www.ssmtrailblazers.com

Sault Trailblazers Website

Live Twitter Feeds directly from the Trail.

www.ssmtrailblazers.com

A couple of photos posted this afternoon by the Sault Trailblazers Club. If that bus is 7' high and you can only see the top 3' feet, I would say that is deep snow.

post-22452-0-95804500-1361487300_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-01944800-1361487313_thumb.jpg

Hopefully March riding lives again with the snow fall amounts. We dont need thaws or rain (taboo) as we can make good use of our permits. Enjoy the longer days and the good base on the trails...Cheers! Dan.

Searchmont-Aubrey Falls Loop

A new riding opportunity now exists in Algoma with the introduction of the

Searchmont-to-Aubrey Falls Loop. Sledders can now ride one route to Aubrey Falls, then returning on another or coming back the same way. Please call ahead to Black Creek Outfitters or Searchmont Trading Post for fuel availability. Check the 'Maps' section of the www.ssmtrailblazers.com website for a visual of the new loop.

Chapleau / Wawa / Timmins / Elliot Lake Access

Snowmobilers can ride Algoma trails from Sault Ste. Marie to Chapleau / Wawa / Timmins and Northern Corridor via the Searchmont-to-Aubrey Falls route, then take the Chapleau F trail northward. Snowmobilers can also access Elliot Lake via the Aubrey Falls Link, then take the Elliot Lake F Trail.

Live on Twitter

You can follow Sault Trailblazers live on Twitter! We are

@ssmtrailblazers. Groomer operators are tweeting live photos and updates from the trail.

Dan Senior

Searchmont-to-Aubrey Falls Loop. Sledders can now ride one route to Aubrey Falls, then returning on another or coming back the same way. Please call ahead to Black Creek Outfitters or Searchmont Trading Post for fuel availability. Check the 'Maps' section of the www.ssmtrailblazers.com website for a visual of the new loop.

Snowmobilers can ride Algoma trails from Sault Ste. Marie to Chapleau / Wawa / Timmins and Northern Corridor via the Searchmont-to-Aubrey Falls route, then take the Chapleau F trail northward. Snowmobilers can also access Elliot Lake via the Aubrey Falls Link, then take the Elliot Lake F Trail.

Live on Twitter

@ssmtrailblazers. Groomer operators are tweeting live photos and updates from the trail.

Dan Senior

These trails are really nice this year and the new route to Aubrey Falls / Black Creek is very nice!

We have taken the new route many times and it is faster than running the D106 with 1000 less turns................IMG_1269_zps4b8782b3.jpg

Live on Twitter

Dan Senior

Good info Dan. Glad to see that your area is finally getting some good snow again!! Enjoy

Thanks for the great info and pics, are any of the road runs heavily sanded or have these warm afternoons contributed to road rash for the sleds, hopeing to get to Aubrey Falls again. Thanks.

Trailside BBQ

Sault Trailblazers is hosting a Trailside BBQ this Saturday March 9th, between 10 AM and 2 PM, on the Old Goulais Bay Lookout. Members and non-members welcome.

Dan Senior

Trailside BBQ

Sault Trailblazers is hosting a Trailside BBQ this Saturday March 9th, between 10 AM and 2 PM, on the Old Goulais Bay Lookout. Members and non-members welcome.

Dan Senior

Hi Dan,

Where exactly is the Bay Lookout? I may have been there, but never knew the name of the spot.

We were up around the A trail last week.

Thanks

Scott

Hi Scott,

Nice to hear from you.

Yes, Its the lookout on the trail at the top of Mile Hill.

We were in the Aubrey Falls area (Powerline and Seabrook Lake) on Friday and Searchmont area this past Tuesday. Slush has dissappeared off of many lakes.

Did not encounter any slush on lakes this past Tuesday.

When are you up this way next?

Sault Trails are still in pristine condition with at least a 24" to 30" base in many locations.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Decided to take this weekend off. I will be heading up next Thursday. May ride from the Goulais River to Dub / Wawa via the F trail and of course run the new loop and then turn north directly to Flame Lake for first stop after Searchmont.

It is about 85 miles to the F trail connection and then maybe 35 or so north to Flame Lake. Should be no problem for gas and we always have extra packed anyway.

Never like driving in the truck if we can ride to get there.

Take Care

Scott

Today, the Sault Ste. Marie Club has changed the Trail Status from Available to Limited Availability, due to the mild temperatures and rain. Forecast is calling for cooler temperatures and more snow starting on Tuesday (March 12th).

visit ssmtrailblazers.com for more info.

Cold-Front arrived in the Sault overnight and with it came the snow. Fresh powder on the trails. Riding continues into mid-march.

Looks like winter isn't leaving us anytime soon in Sault Ste. Marie. Approximately 8cm of new powder on Saturuday night and more on the way tonight (Monday). (image attached of city photo). 3 days of snow in the past week. March 12th,13th and 16th.

Visit www.ssmtrailblazers.com for the latest regional trail updates.

post-22452-0-01088400-1363608667_thumb.jpg

Kirk, one of our SSM Trailblazer Club Groomer operators, was tweeting live photos most of last night and yesterday, while out grooming regional trails. Here's one that shows a perspective of snow depth in Algoma. Should be some nice riding this weekend. Thanks Kirk.

More of Kirk's photos at www.ssmtrailblazers.com or @ssmtrailblazers

post-22452-0-28147800-1363783285_thumb.jpg

Wow.

You'll be open ('available') for some time.

Great links to Kirk. Beam me up!

Kirk, one of our SSM Trailblazer Club Groomer operators, was tweeting live photos most of last night and yesterday, while out grooming regional trails. Here's one that shows a perspective of snow depth in Algoma. Should be some nice riding this weekend. Thanks Kirk. More of Kirk's photos at www.ssmtrailblazers.com or @ssmtrailblazers

Hi Dan,

Is that Domtar Road?

Have you been riding the powerline cut through?

Thinking of trying to run up the F Trail to Dub. I was in Chapleau last weekend and trails up that way are really great. I rode from the Goulais River many times this year with great snow conditions and now it seems you are getting another load of snow.

Take Care.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

April 3rd Update

Sault Ste. Marie this morning. A photo from my front window of the house. Winter is still here and trails are open. Lots of snow north of Searchmont and on the Domtar.

post-22452-0-77081600-1364990827_thumb.jpg

Sault Ste. Marie - April 4th - 8 AM

post-22452-0-20225100-1365083906_thumb.jpg

Archived