Barry's Bay

Circuit

So it's that time again to make a snowmobile trip for my wife and I. Last year it was North Bay. Good luck with that. This year my plan is Barry's Bay. Since I've never been there I figured I would post in here and ask for comments and suggestions from people who have ridden in the area.

Currently we are looking at Mountain View Motel for three days of riding. We live 6.5 hours away. Leaving Sunday (Jan 20), riding Monday through Wednesday and heading back home Thursday.

So my questions are:

-How's it look up there after this January miserable thaw? Is it worth the drive?

-Suggestions on day rides from BB for an average rider? (My wife is still new to our sport.)

-BB to Mad Musher for lunch and back. It that feasible for the average rider?

-Food? Fuel?

-Anything else I didn't think of...

Last year I posted my trip report for North Bay. This year I will do the same for this trip if it is a go. Any information, suggestions and/or comments are welcome.

Thanks

Things aren't looking good, I was told. BB to mad musher and back is an easy day run on the old railway line. I don't think the area will be back in shape by Jan 20th. Lakes are flooded, swamps are open again. I am hoping to go on the 26th. Wait and see. Been warm for four days now. Currently still 4 degree's.

Bancroft would be closer for you with many more day loops . Best Western has easy trail access and right in town .

Bancroft is red. BB is green. My wife's business is scheduled months in advance so it is that time or nothing. Even if I have to drive to Cochran...

Base is holding up well. If it gets as cold as predicted will need 6 to 8 in of snow to groom again. Lakes will be perfect after this. Might take more than a week just depends on weather. Our camp is between lk st peter and madawaska and I am here now. Doesn't look pretty but it can turn around quickly. Wait and see...bancroft had less snow I expect the trackbed is toast down there.

Even cochrane received mild weather.

Sudbury apparently held up well too.

Thanks for the info. We will make reservations for BB and watch and wait with fingers crossed.

I booked a spot at Barrys Bay cottages months ago it was all looking good till this Poop! They still had lots of base left when I drove through on Monday hopefully things open up for the weekend. I got my fingers crossed as well

Last year it was North Bay. Good luck with that.

What do mean by that? Did you not enjoy NB?

north bay never opened & was washed out...we know bbaker does the best job...bar none

What do mean by that? Did you not enjoy NB?

We enjoyed NB. I did a trip report in my thread last year. The trails haven't opened and it doesn't look like they will soon. That is what I mean by that.

Barry's Bay is green again! Now I just need the shop that is rebuilding our sleds to get it done for the weekend...

I said to my wife that next year we plan for February instead of January. It was like this last year with NB. We were running the lake for fuel at Bonfield/Astorville while they were just opening and staking it.

February is usually more stable for planning trips IMO.

We enjoyed NB. I did a trip report in my thread last year. The trails haven't opened and it doesn't look like they will soon. That is what I mean by that.

Barry's Bay is green again! Now I just need the shop that is rebuilding our sleds to get it done for the weekend...

I said to my wife that next year we plan for February instead of January. It was like this last year with NB. We were running the lake for fuel at Bonfield/Astorville while they were just opening and staking it.

Oh, ok. I thought maybe you had a bad experience or something?

I was thinking you may have taken her to Fanny's for dinner or something?!?!?!?! Ha!!

Oh, ok. I thought maybe you had a bad experience or something?

I was thinking you may have taken her to Fanny's for dinner or something?!?!?!?! Ha!!

The only negative things I can say about last year in NB was with the best western. Our first room had no heat and on Saturday night the restaurant was taken over by a wedding party so we had to drop the trailer and fend for ourselves. Although we ended up at an excellent prime rib house where the food was awesome.

Talked to Doug at Mountain View tonight. He said the area is cold again so the trails are hard packed and icy. Also said they need snow. Here's hoping!

Packed and ready. We leave tomorrow morning for Barry's Bay with rebuilt sleds. We have to break them in so the first and second day are just taking our time.

Packed and ready. We leave tomorrow morning for Barry's Bay with rebuilt sleds. We have to break them in so the first and second day are just taking our time.

Just noticed this in Ontario East.

You'll be fine:

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10807-barrys-bay-area-trail-pictures-never-mind-the-burger-in-whitney/page__fromsearch__1

Cold expected tomorrow. Conditions will improve and more trails will open.

Just noticed this in Ontario East.

You'll be fine:

http://ontariocondit...__fromsearch__1

Cold expected tomorrow. Conditions will improve and more trails will open.

Good news! Thanks.

Made it to the motel. Had the best polish food ever at the Wilno Tavern. Sleds unloaded and ready for the morning.

Made it to the motel. Had the best polish food ever at the Wilno Tavern. Sleds unloaded and ready for the morning.

Nice. How does the base look?

Nice. How does the base look?

rode there todoy...good for yr now

Base is good. Could really use some more snow for the groomer though. We did 80 miles today.We went from the motel into Barry's Bay. Fuel at the Esso. A visit to the BMO since I had a moment of sometimers and forgot my MC pin. Headed out of town on the B102 on to the B to the 159 to the lookout. Then back to the B and headed to Madawaska. We turned around and took the 157 to take the other side of the B down to BB but I made a wrong turn and headed the wrong way. By the time we stopped to check we made it just north of Paugh Lake. So there we turned around and followed the B back to B102 into BB to the Esso again. Then my wife ran into the back of my sled by accident. Lucky the only damage was my snow flap bracket. I beat that back then carried on to the motel.

The sleds ran hot for the beginning since they were being broken in again after the rebuild. We had to stop and let them cool a few times. After about 20 miles mine went right to were it should be for coolant heat. My wife's always ran a little hotter than mine and it still does.

Hope I feel up for tomorrow. I fell off my sled while reversing. My throttle is touchy when in reverse and it kicked some power at the wrong moment.Bend my handle bar some.

As far as the trails: They are excellent around here. Signage is plentiful. The lookout had a mailbox with maps in it. The local clubs that look after this area really know what they are doing and I thank them for their work. Doug, one of the owners of the motel we are at, was out on the groomer this morning.

Nice report. I hope that you are okay tomorrow. Would hate to miss out on any riding these days.

Archived